DCF 9/2 to Interview 1/14 Result: White

I promised a longer version for reference. I hope this helps other CFL members that are going through the same process.

We were married in 2013 in Harbin and had our first child in 2014.

~2014~

9/2 DCF beijing

11/2 Emailed Beijing and received a reply that the petition had been approved 10/29

12/1 Received confirmation from Guangzhou that they had received our case. Also instructions to fill out a DS-260 and submit documents to Citic bank.

12/4 Submitted DS-260

12/18 Email from Guangzhuo telling us to schedule interview

~2015~

1/15 Interview

Here is what my wife took with her to the interview:

Interview confirmation

DS-260 confirmation and letter correcting one mistake we made on the form

Copy of every email received from the US government during this process.

My I-864 with a copy of my passport, transcripts from last 5 years, letter from employer, and past 6 months of pay stubs. (although I am not sure any of my paperwork meant anything since last 3 years I earned income overseas and filed 2555)

My father's I-864 with a copy of his passport, transcripts from the past 3 years and pay stubs showing all of 2014's income. My father included assets even though he is above the income threshold. Taxes proving value of house and copy of most recent bank statement.

Notarized Marriage certificate

Notarized Birth certificate

Notarized Police report

Resume, English and Chinese

Copy of my valid drivers license

Copy of my US bank statement with activity

CRBA of our daughter

40 pictures from random life events

Email from parents promising a place to stay as long as we need.

Everything that we could bring the original of. we also brought along a copy.

Here are the questions they asked:

Can you speak English?

Which state is your husband from?

Where did you meet?

Do you have a child?

How old is she?

Have you ever been to America?

Any other countries?

Who is my father's name?

Did your mother-in-law send any papers?

He also saw that I am from Ohio and asked if I was happy about the buckeyes winning the national championship.

RESULT: White paper requesting a I-864a from my mother.

If anyone has any questions about any particular part, I am more than happy to answer!

• Like 2

I really think that is all they want, although her income would also be above their poverty line if they do care about the money. She it via USPS, 1-3 day, $76! Based on what I have been reading, from the time we submit to the time we get her visa it should be around a month. I hope so, because my current Visa expires on march the 15th, and I would rather not sign another extension with my school.

Thank you for your very detailed write-up! That really sucks that they asked for the i864a. Why do you think they did so in your case?

Maybe because my parents file jointly? Not really sure. Some people have said that they want it to prove my mother's support of the immigration.

It's unfortunate that they don't give a reason. Oh well, just a bit longer of a wait for you. Good luck - hope you get approved soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

19th Received documents from my Mother.

19th submitted to Citic bank

21st bank actaully sent the documents.

26th case is still Processing but date was refreshed.

29th Refreshed again still processing.

30th ISSUED!

Thanks again for all the help thus far. I will be asking lots of questions about some of the next steps.

Let me know if there is some information left out that would be helpful for you. I will be checking periodically.

• Like 1

Update:

19th Received documents from my Mother.

19th submitted to Citic bank

21st bank actaully sent the documents.

26th case is still Processing but date was refreshed.

29th Refreshed again still processing.

30th ISSUED!

Thanks again for all the help thus far. I will be asking lots of questions about some of the next steps.

Let me know if there is some information left out that would be helpful for you. I will be checking periodically.

Congrats,

You indicate married 2013, how close to your second wedding anniversary are you? You may want to hold on travel to the USA until after you 2nd wedding anniversary, so that the resulting green-card will be a 10 year unconditional one, saving you the added expense and paperwork of having to remove conditions 2 years after getting a 2 year conditional green-card.

Next steps are:

• Paying the immigration fee on line so that USCIS will produce a green-card sometime after arrival. Fee: $165 http://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee
  • Traveling to the states where you will clear the POE (Turn in the brown envelope immigration packet)
  • Waiting a 10 days after arrival for a SSN card, if it does not arrive, visit the SSA office and apply for one.
  • Waiting 1-2 months for the green-card to be produced.
  • If the green-card is a 2 year conditional card, file an I-751 within 90 days of the 2 year card's expiration, fee: $590

We were married in august, and I have not been home in nearly 3 years due to the wedding and birth of our daughter. $590 and the paperwork is a bargain.

EDIT: Also, I have been looking at flights. I realize it may take longer for us to get through immigration. Is a 3 hour layover enough?

3 hour layover should do.

Also if the POE has two lines (Immigrants/Visitors) and (Citizens/Residents) you as accompanying your immigrant spouse can stick with her and go through the (Immigrants/Visitors) line, sometimes an officer may also direct your spouse to accompany you in the (Citizen/Residents) line if that line is shorter. My wife and I entered through Chicago, I accompanied her in the (Immigrant/Visitors) line.

Lastly on the flight over you will be presented with a couple forms.

• Customs Declaration form, items of personal nature have no value so no need to place a dollar value on them, the only things that need to be declared value is things being imported to be sold, and cash in excess of $10,000
  • They may also give out I-94 cards, in your case your spouse in an immigrant and does not need to fill out an I-94 card, the I-94 is for non-immigrants (Visitors and K-Visas)
  • 3 weeks later...