Three questions please

You are gonna do great, in China or America. Your sense of humor will carry you through with flyin' colors. Life has so much hilarity in it, not everyone is blessed to find the humor in almost any situation, you are lucky to have the yearnin' to learnin' and a well developed sense of humor to carry you through!!

chopped vegetables and table scraps....I mean.....tsap seui

Thank you, guys, very much!!

I'll pay attention to the books, "Colors of the Mountain. Sounds of the River. A Glimpse into the Vast and Fabled History of China with Editor's Comment Follows Each Story. I'll also spend some time watching Forest Gump, Stell Magnolias. I do need some movies to pull my ears into American society.

Guys, also thank you for your patience with me. I always enjoy westerner's humor in the daily life. However, your humor is just a tiny drop of water in the human ocean. I know I'll never finish learning everything and I don't have to learn people's names, as a matter of fact. I have much too much to explore. Everyone's time and energy is limited. There are only 24 hours a day though I do enjoy your culture and your language. Sometimes I wonder if it's a sin for me to learn English. The story of Babel Tower is known to everyone. God doesn't want people to understand each other's language but I'm choosing to study your language. Am I being against God's will? lol

After I arrive in the New World, I won't have more time online but I do love this forum. I like everyone of you!! Amberjack always moves me. I'll stay friend to you and to everyone. So I'll come to visit CFL no matter how busy I will be.

Perhaps, I should put on a fake picture and a fake name too. Do you like to call me George? lol :happydance: Please know I NEVER EVER mean to pry into anyone's life. I respect all of you with my most sincerity. Honest!!

Best wishes to all of you!!

Georgecatherine

Maybe you could call yourself "Southern Belle" or a good southern name like "Becky Sue". With your learnin' southern talk and writin', and with your sense of humor the list of monikers is endless. If Wenyan wanted to post on Candle, I'd try to get her to use a name like Redneck Honey, or HIllbilly Babe LOL

Ronny

OK, so just what the heck does Catherineli mean? Is it Catherine Li ? Now in the USA we would spell that Lee, and in the South that is a good name. We had to have a civil war and fight it out many years ago, and the Southern General was Lee. It doesn't really matter anymore actually.

I don't read, so can't help you with books. I'm sure your English is better than mine.

Doug is short for Douglas. In China, many times my wife introduces me as Douglas. I think it is a Scottish name and means something, but no one cares about that in the USA, where names mean nothing, usually. It just needs to sound good or strike the fancy of our parents. A lot of things are kind of superficial in the USA. My father simply opened a phone book and when he saw Douglas, that was it, and the name stuck. When Chinese are talking about me they say something that sounds like Dow-Ga, Dowga, or Dowg. Even my son didn't like being called Jacoba, soundling more like Jacob-Ba, when it is simply Jacob. Yall like to put that "ah" sound on the end of an American name it seems. Personally I don't care. On some other forums I may have a form of a word regarding Roadrunner, which was an old nickname given to me by many.

Yawl is an interesting word, but I like to spell it Yall, or Y'all.

As for movies, I think you should watch The Sound Of Music, and my #1 movie Ben Hur. These are classics. And as for a classic comedy try It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Many folks like John Wayne movies, which I did not most of my life, until I got to the age I am now. I like In Harms Way, but just about any will give you a little idea of what many in the USA feel how an American man should be.

Now, how about you telling us all how we can get a copy of those Chinese movies of the little boy in the Chinese military who is just crazy funny. They are old black and white movies I think.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

My favorite movie of all time is "Blazing Saddles". Some of the humor is off color but not what I would call vulgar. The satire in it is relevant to issues in American society.

I think most of the "Monkey King" stories are available in English.

warpedbored is something I came up with because I'm a woodworker. A play on the words warped board. Warped can also mean someone who is crazy or mentally unstable. I have somewhat of a sick sense of humor. Bored is when you can't find anything interesting to do.

• Like 1

ameriken is a combination of 'american' and my name 'ken'.

Movies? One that both my wife and I really liked was 'The Book Thief', set in WWII about a young Jewish girl that gets adopted by German parents during WWII. Excellent and poignant story.

One thing that helped my wife when she first came to America was watching American movies that had Chinese subtitles so she could hear the English while reading the Chinese. Then we switched to English subtitles so she could read what she was hearing (or hear what she was reading). Now she can watch movies without any subtitles.

OK, so just what the heck does Catherineli mean? Is it Catherine Li ? Now in the USA we would spell that Lee, and in the South that is a good name. We had to have a civil war and fight it out many years ago, and the Southern General was Lee. It doesn't really matter anymore actually.

I don't read, so can't help you with books. I'm sure your English is better than mine.

Doug is short for Douglas. In China, many times my wife introduces me as Douglas. I think it is a Scottish name and means something, but no one cares about that in the USA, where names mean nothing, usually. It just needs to sound good or strike the fancy of our parents. A lot of things are kind of superficial in the USA. My father simply opened a phone book and when he saw Douglas, that was it, and the name stuck. When Chinese are talking about me they say something that sounds like Dow-Ga, Dowga, or Dowg. Even my son didn't like being called Jacoba, soundling more like Jacob-Ba, when it is simply Jacob. Yall like to put that "ah" sound on the end of an American name it seems. Personally I don't care. On some other forums I may have a form of a word regarding Roadrunner, which was an old nickname given to me by many.

Yawl is an interesting word, but I like to spell it Yall, or Y'all.

As for movies, I think you should watch The Sound Of Music, and my #1 movie Ben Hur. These are classics. And as for a classic comedy try It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Many folks like John Wayne movies, which I did not most of my life, until I got to the age I am now. I like In Harms Way, but just about any will give you a little idea of what many in the USA feel how an American man should be.

Now, how about you telling us all how we can get a copy of those Chinese movies of the little boy in the Chinese military who is just crazy funny. They are old black and white movies I think.

OK, OK Doug where is that post with all that bragging about Texas? I had a thing or two to say but didn't get the chance. :secret:

My favorite movie of all time is "Blazing Saddles". Some of the humor is off color but not what I would call vulgar. The satire in it is relevant to issues in American society.

warpedbored is something I came up with because I'm a woodworker. A play on the words warped board. Warped can also mean someone who is crazy or mentally unstable. I have somewhat of a sick sense of humor. Bored is when you can't find anything interesting to do.

Blazing Saddles....I salute thee. The greatest movie ever made

How'dy every guy!
I didn't expect that I still git answers about the movies, eleven movies from all of you! Thank you again!
I ain't Catherine anymore as I'm pickin' the name "Becky Sue" for fun. I've never heard that some names belong to the north and some from the south. Ronny is a good man with an offerin' big heart! You would rather be chopped vegetables to bring organic vitamins and minerals for your folks. Wenyan's a lucky girl to git you!

Amberjack, I know Texas is large enough to reach the arctic! Doug'll be your guide to testify.
Ameriken is very much poetic with a pun in it.
If something warps or is warped, it becomes damaged by bending or curving, often because of the effect of heat or water. Warpedbored must be a tough guy who stays well no matter in what kind of circumstance. Saluting Mr. Warpedboard!
Doug is short form of Douglas. So Doug must be neat and clean!!

Mick and Dnoblett are both easy words that brings peace to me.

Dennis loves God as God's angel. That's why Dennis suggests a reunion of our members someday.

Nuworld brings me a new world of name knowledge.

Credzba wakes me up with ultimate important Internet caution. Saluting to this Mr. Unknown!!

byeeeeeeeeeeeee

GerogeBeckySueCatherine

• Like 1

Blazing Saddles....I salute thee. The greatest movie ever made

Did you ever see the sequel, Blistering Ass? :D

• Like 2

Hello, My name is Daniel but I will also go by Dan or Danny Boy. It was my Grandfather's name. It is a name from the Bible. My Grandmother's name was Katherine. Her nickname was Kate. I always thought she had a pretty name.

There are many movie that you could watch. Eat Drink Man and Woman by Ang Lee might be an interesting one. The Mexican Amercian of remake of that movie is Tortilla Soup. The Joy Luck Club is another movie with some American-Chinese actors in it. It would be interesting to hear what you think about those movies. I think many of us here appreciate hearing what the Chinese women who visit CDL think. You also might try watching news programs from the states. The newscasters should speak in a middle of the road type English. Wish you luck. Danb

• Like 2

Thanks Danb and Thomas Promise! I've heard of Daniel fast in the Bible but I've never known Thomas means a twin.

I have a baby book of names where I used to pick English names for my students. Now I'm only curious with the special special names.

Doug, you mentioned a copy of those Chinese movies of the little boy in the Chinese military who is just crazy funny. There's such a movie called "A little Soldier Zhang Ga." Do you mean this movie? It's about fighting Japanese people in China.

BTW, Catherineli is a combination of English and Chinese. Catherine means pure and clean. It's equivalent to my Chinese name in meaning. Li is Chinese;Lee is English. There has never been "Lee" in Chinese language.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Becky Sue

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

How'dy every guy!

I didn't expect that I still git answers about the movies, eleven movies from all of you! Thank you again!

I ain't Catherine anymore as I'm pickin' the name "Becky Sue" for fun. I've never heard that some names belong to the north and some from the south. Ronny is a good man with an offerin' big heart! You would rather be chopped vegetables to bring organic vitamins and minerals for your folks. Wenyan's a lucky girl to git you!

Amberjack, I know Texas is large enough to reach the arctic! Doug'll be your guide to testify.

Ameriken is very much poetic with a pun in it.

If something warps or is warped, it becomes damaged by bending or curving, often because of the effect of heat or water. Warpedbored must be a tough guy who stays well no matter in what kind of circumstance. Saluting Mr. Warpedboard!

Doug is short form of Douglas. So Doug must be neat and clean!!

Mick and Dnoblett are both easy words that brings peace to me.

Dennis loves God as God's angel. That's why Dennis suggests a reunion of our members someday.

Nuworld brings me a new world of name knowledge.

Credzba wakes me up with ultimate important Internet caution. Saluting to this Mr. Unknown!!

byeeeeeeeeeeeee

GerogeBeckySueCatherine

Hot damn, Becky Sue, may you never git blue. Pop my suspenders and slap me plumb silly, your writin' and tawkin' proper hillbilly english has come a long dadgum way, ma'am. I don't know where you are gonna call home when you git to this here America, but you will fit right in down south somewhares. I am very proud of your hillbilly writin'. Soon you are gonna be more hillbilly redneck than even my owndamnself. We'll read yore writin' and I'll start thinkin' maybe, somewhare along the line, I have done become some damn Yankee cause you tawk such good proper english. How it warms my heart to see you usin' words like "ain't"....that is pure music to my ears, you ol' southern belle.

Rawknee

The proper way to pronounce Ronny. May my ol' southern momma rest her lil' pea pickin' heart in peace, I tells ya.

Books finally came to mind. I am not well read, but I put Mark Twain's book Adventures of Tom Sawyer right up there with the Bible. One needs to know life and it gives it to you. Besides when I was a boy I went to Mississippi every summer and my cousin and I went on all kinds of adventures. If one of us thought of something, it was done, whether we got in trouble or not. One of my other favorites is Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.

But what helped a Chinese girl adapt to life in the USA was reading all kinds of thick children story books, and later teen or young adult books. Those books are easy reading. She learned all the phrases and idioms better than I knew them. She snuck flashlights to bed to read late. She was a fanatic about reading. Wow, did it ever help her, not only with English, but become American.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

Thank thee for thy compliment, Rawknee! I don’t dare to say I ain’t Catherine because I hear well-educated people would slap their kids if their children say “ain’t” in the daily tawk. Language stirs up a big fun in the borin’ world. I’m still gonna be a yankee in the meltin’ pot no matter how spicy or cold it is. I admire thee bein’ a redneck in the warm weather. Thou, a lucky guy. Cold weather bu hao! Yep, I'm gonna be a frozen-neck in the north of thy country. I read the Bible in King James. I like thou, thee, thy,etc. It’s also a fun for me to giss (guess) who is a hillybily and who is a yankee by their tawkin’ accent.

Hi Doug, I'm very much proud of your girl who adapted into America quickly by reading much. I remember her when you were sharing in your post. I have more than enough English books to read. Now I’m collecting Chinese fairy tales written in English. Being a messenger and a bridge to link the two countries, I like to bring good part of Chinese culture into the United States. When teaching Chinese to Americans, I may need some Chinese books about Chinese culture.

Have a ball!

Becky Sue