What are your favorite dishes your wife cook?

Joecy

My American husband doesn't cook at all, as a Chinese wife, I found my husband still likes most of western dishes, or Chinese dishes that's been transformed to American dishes. Such as Kung Pao Chicken, Sweet and sour chicken. He doesn't like Chinese dumplings or hot pot, and he couldn't stand spicy food, maybe mild.

His favorite dish in winter is pot roast beef with potato, carrats and celery in a crock pot, he likes to eat with steamed rice or mashed patatoes, he also enjoys my version of American Chicken and Dumplings, Japanese style of Curry Chicken (with lots of potatoes, carrots again), Baked Honey Chicken, Eggplant sauce pasta ( note: he doesn't like eggplant, but when I make eggplant as pasta sauce, he always enjoys it), Chili soup, Chicken tortilla soup, Sushi ( with no raw fish) ... He also enjoys my own pizza and bread ( I got a bread machine from my in laws on Christmas, it works great).

Overall, my hubby is not a picky eater which I am very glad, he eats everything I cook, except Chinese dumplings or hot pot.

Hi Rubby, You are a creative cooker!!

What is a American Chicken and Dumplings? 鸡肉饺子 ?

Eggplant sauce pasta!! I want to try this, how do you make it?

Wiff, sunnyside up eggs, toast, bacon, and home fries, cuzin'. The girl is a boner fide redneck woman, now. I do love me a mess ah grits.

Rawknee

Still don't know what is grits.....and Wiff?

Any picture?

I don't know what grits are called in China Joecy, but my wife made them there. I was shocked, and very happy, when she sat a bowl of steaming grits on the table....LOL I eat them as a breakfast meal with eggs and toast. They are made from corn, but I'm not much of a google type to search exactly what they are...I jes eat em. When my wife served them in our home in China she made them in the evening, along with various other foods. If your husband hasn't moved you too far north you can find a box of grits in the hot cereal food section of your local grocery store....a store guys like Charles, Mick, Larry, and I call "the Piggly WIggly".

Wenyan has a few foods she makes which she calls "Chairman Mao food". Surprising to me, they include a flour made food that is very much like American pancakes and best of all is one that reminds me of the cornbread my parents and grandparents used to make...corn bread...yummmy. There are one or two others she makes that are very similar or exactly the same as many foods I grew up with in the south.

Sorry, I don't know how to post photos. If I ever learn how to do that, Candle will get turned upside down with great photos. I was lucky to get the photo of my kitten, you see in my avatar, to post but I can't get photos my wife or I have taken to post. What fun that will be when I can post photos here. :happy2:

"Wiff".... :rotfl: Lordy be ma'am, why that is the hillbilly redneck pronunciation for the word "with". It is "proper English" I tell ya, not this watered down Yankee English, or Queen's English stuff. Down south we are men, we tawk

King's English and as southern gentlement, we call women ma'am. :victory:

Joecy, I can see from your sharp inquisitive mind that us hillbillys here on Candle have a lot of "proper English pronunciation" of words to teach you. You, and the other Chinese ladies on Candle learn from Charles, Mick, Larry and I and you will be able to travel down south in America and understand everything you hear, and be understood, by everyone you meet....I gaa-rown-tee (guarantee). :thank_you_so_much:

Rawknee

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Very interesting, Rawknee! And I do want to expand to the South :happydance:

This is my 3rd year in the US, I probably only touched 1% of the American food product in the grocery store. My parents are visiting these days, they wanted to exam every single items in the store and asking me what are those. My dad have a sweet tooth, he asked what are all these snacks, cookies, cheedos? I have no idea!!

The grits sounds like "Xiao Mi Zhou" , little corn congee?

Funny Wenyan mentioned "Chairman Mao food" is similar to what your grandparents had.

Is the corn bread something like this?

http://www.wuguxiangwowotou.com/images/03.jpg

This is my 3rd year in the US, I probably only touched 1% of the American food product in the grocery store. My parents are visiting these days, they wanted to exam every single items in the store and asking me what are those. My dad have a sweet tooth, he asked what are all these snacks, cookies, cheedos? I have no idea!!

Funny Wenyan mentioned "Chairman Mao food" is similar to what your grandparents had.

It looks similar alright. Cornbread can be made in many ways here in the south. Joecy, that looks absolutely wonderful. Now I've got the wife in the kitchen cooking. :jump: I would kill for a platter of that.

Larry

The South is nick named the land of grits and gravey. Grits are a staple in southern households. In the midwest potatoes are substituted for grits. Plain cooked grits have no friends. You have to doctor them up with redeye gravy, salt & pepper etc. Redeye gravey is pan drippings from ham and mixed with black coffee. Yankees (people who live up in the Northern US) hardly ever eat grits much less heard of them. Here is scene from a popular movie that can explain it.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the south. I used to live in southern Virginia. I acquired a taste for grits there. I had some this morning for breakfast. I don't mess with all that gravy. A little butter, salt and pepper and I'm good.

Joecy I think your "corn congee" analogy sounds pretty close.

• Like 1

Very fun movie, Thomas! Can't believe you can find this specific part about grits!

If we would have a culture class, definitely should show the grits movie!

• Like 1