Going to the Interview Together

I know the U.S. citizen petitioner cannot attend the interview... I recall reading a few different places it's still a good idea to go along so our fiance can say "(s)he is outside if you have any questions." But I know the consulate's location has changed, and that apparently there's no longer even a lobby that we could sit in while our loves get grilled... That the "lobby" is now standing outside in the open air...

I've been planning to go along for the interview... Dalian to Guangzhou... lucky us... but my teaching job is supposed to start the day before the interview. I plan to quit it anyway, but in case the visa is denied I don't want to risk losing it (and therefore my residence permit)... As the interview date approaches I'm kind of second-guessing whether I should really bother to go or not.

Anyway --- my question is --- is it really necessary/worth it to go along for the interview??? Would love some strong opinions, maybe even experiences, to help me make this decision. Thanks :) :)

HI Mr MFlobrian, from my own experience, I really don't think it's necessary for the petitioner to be standing outside of the consulate building. No one cares where you will be standing when your finance is being grilled inside, even if you are standing in your kitchen. As long as you have enough legal papers to justify your case, nothing will be a problem. Otherwise, if you can't meet up with the immigration criteria, everything will be a problem. Your affidiavte book and your pictures from your true life are very important.

Surely if you go with your fiance, there will be some special romantic memories for your future life. I suggest that you go with her, just to encourage her and create special memories for future. Life is short;everything is precious.

Catherine

• Like 1

I'm concerned that you don't sound confident with your interview. You'd better make sure to be ready with all your legal papers before you make the decision if you should go along with your fiance. May you succeed and enjoy your life!

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

Hmm. My papers are all proper. We seem to have everything we need. Even have a lawyer in the states backing us.

I don't sound confident -- probably just upcoming interview panic -- last year my fiance was already denied a tourist visa just to visit my family -- and maybe also because of the horror stories I read online of others' K1 denials. It's terrible that our fate balances over whether the consular officer liked his coffee that morning or not. :(

Here is a story of an IR-2 (children) visa that was denied and overturned on the same day, due to the petitioner's presence. The circumstances were unusual (VERY uncommon), but you CAN help if problems do arise.

IR-2 DENIED 11:30 AM 11/21/05

That being said, it's a personal decision as to whether to be there or not. It CAN make a difference even when there is no problem - I recommend that your spouse carry your passport to the interview and place it on TOP of the counter where the VO can see it, whether they want to look at it or not. In your situation, she could do this without you even being there - to (I think) a good effect. If asked, it would give your fiance an opportunity to exactly explain your situation.

For myself, I didn't go because I had used up all my vacation time before the interview - saving some for the interview would have meant one less trip, and a longer gap without seeing her.

With the new consulate, there are more places to sit and wait (including a Starbucks) within a block, but yes, they're all outside of the consulate compound.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

For what's worth, it's not all horror stories for K1's. My wife ChunMei's interview actually went with no problems at all, if you don't count the part where her final paperwork went astray in the delivery process and she had to make a second trip from Nanning to Guangzhou to pick it up after they finally located it.

• Like 1

My wife and stepson got their visas in June 2012. I flew into Guangzhou to be with my future family, to give moral support to them at a very stressful time in our fledgling family's history. I had prepared a Evolution of Relationship (EOR) letter that I had folded lengthwise into my passport, gave it to my then-fiance(e) to place on top of the documents that she slid over to the CO during the interview. She said that the CO scanned the EOR and passport, and passed the passport back, acknowledging my presence in Guangzhou. According to my wife, the interview was about 10 minutes long and relatively uneventful. Near the end of the interview, the CO asked my wife if he could trust her answers. She replied, "Yes, of course you can!" He peered at both of them and said, "You are approved, and happy birthday." Evidently, the CO had done his homework, as that it was her birthday. What a great gift!

Sure, I couldn't be in attendance at the interview, however, to be able to provide moral support and comfort to my future family at this important time was priceless! Besides, I sure didn't want to miss the "great" June weather in Guangzhou....NOT !!! :sweating_buckets: Now that seems so long ago, yet it was only yesterday.... :guitar: Good luck ! If you can be in the area, do it. If not, make sure all of your documents are in order.

Edited by A&B (see edit history)

Personally, I feel that interview day is one of the most important and stressful days our wives and girlfriends could have. I can't think of anything that would keep me from being in Guangzhou with my woman on that day. My wife step son and I flew down from Shenyang for their interview....TWICE....LOL The first time was a K-1 interview which she and my step son got treated literally like SHIT by the American visa officer...yelled at, my passport and other important interview papers thrown through the window in an angry rage. The visa officer tried to break my wife down but she stood her ground, kept her composure as she calmly answered the 20 some detailed and viley spat at her questions by an old bag American bitch who must have just had her dog run over, her boyfriend had just told her to go to hell and quite possibly she was having the worst case of PMS in history. With a smile on her face she calmly acted like that it is normal for Americans to talk to Chinese like they are filthy rabid dogs. My son and girlfriend were given a blue slip which asked for no further information and told she would get an answer in about 2 months....it took 10 months and they denied her.

At least I was with her in this disgraceful and awful time in our, especially her, lives. And, I went the next day to talk to a visa officer. All he did was lie to me and tell me everything was okay that she should have her visa in a couple of months.

Wind the clock ahead 4 years and I was there outside the consulate once again, in our hotel room in God awful Guangzhou, awaiting the outcome, this time on an IR-1 interview. This time the interview officer, a younger than the old hag they had the first time, was all smiles and treated them both with the proper respect an American should be giving ChInese...my God she even acknowledged their cheerful "hellos" to her with a smile and a response back, unlike the first bitch. She asked my son if he liked me, and asked my wife if her name was Wenyan. Then she laughed and said "you've passed the interview", and tried to tell them where to go to sign for their visas....my wife kept talking....it went over her head...my son had to tell her to "stop talking mother, we've passed". :rotfl: The VO laughed too and wished them good luck in America.

I've been there for the WORST outcome one could have at an interview, and the BEST. If at all possible you want to be with your loved one. It is without a doubt one of the biggest days of their lives. I couldn't have lived with myself if I hadn't have been there both times...both to hold my wife in one of her worst days,then, to celebrate to the high heavens on such a happy occasion....and to fly home, as a family, to America with them both.

Good luck with your decision, and the interview.

tsap seui

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

To echo A&B somewhat, I went to Guangzhou when my wife had her interview so I could support her. We had a strong case and I felt me being there would make a strong case even stronger. Furthermore, as nerve wracking as the waiting to hear the result experience was for me, it would have been much harder had I not been there.

Go if you can, not only will you be supporting your spouse (most important), you may even be helping your own sanity.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to go to the interview with my wife. However, I want to know some practical information. We live in Xi'an. To go to GuangZhou is not a small endeavor, so I want to make the most of each trip as possible.

Is it easy to arrange for everything, including the physical, to be done the same week?

What kinds of costs would be involved for the trip (aside from transportation)? We do not earn much, so we would like to keep the cost to a minimum. But we are both over 45, so we do want some comfort (a Chinese hard bed is actually preferable for both of us).

Any realities we need to be aware of before going? (References within other discussions here would also be great.)

We stayed with the Yangs, they rent apartments near the consulate, http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/41830-rooms-for-rent-in-tianyu-building-us-consulate-complex/?p=606650(They provide more than a room, they will coach on interview, and help you get to things like the medical)

Even though you cannot attend the interview, being there is good moral support.

Medical can be done and results picked up same day, so can do the medical a couple days prior to the interview.

I'll echo Dan to answer your question Kevin. For the most bang for your buck, stay with the Yangs when you go to Guangzhou. We did both times we went for our interviews. The medical can be done in a day, if, you go early. Two days at the very most.

The Yangs have been helping folks for many years now, they know all of the ins and outs. The will easily consult with you on your case, answer any question you can have, and guide you around when you need. Mr Yang even went to the medical with us both times to make sure we got the results on the same day.

tsap seui