The ice buckle is actually not that bad!

Joecy

love the story, Raw Knee!!!

Thank you so much for sharing it!!!

When I google raw knee, the explanation from urban dictionary n is a little surprising to me: that Raw Knee means sexy men!

I also like how you interpreter Southern and Northern. More on that later...

Joecy, can you pronounce Ronny and Rawknee differently? I don't think I can. I may say the two words in the same way.

Hi Catherine, good question, I am not sure either!

We should ask the gentlemen to demonstrate! Need some audio or video facilitation :licklips:

When I lived in the deep south I was always told there are two types of Yankees. 1 The Yankee that goes home and 2. The Damn Yankee that stays.

mmm.... Thomas, please elaborate~~~

When I lived in the deep south I was always told there are two types of Yankees. 1 The Yankee that goes home and 2. The Damn Yankee that stays.

mmm.... Thomas, please elaborate~~

During the US Civil War 1861-1865 The northern US where called Yankees by the south. Much animosity continued between the two sides long after the civil war was over. A damn Yankee moves to the south and starts living there. A good Yankee is a tourist and goes back up north we they are from. A southern experssion for a Yankee tourist is: Oh do Mr. Yankee-gentleman Y'all come back now ya-hear.

Edited by Thomas Promise (see edit history)

Joecy, can you pronounce Ronny and Rawknee differently? I don't think I can. I may say the two words in the same way.

Hi Catherine, good question, I am not sure either!

We should ask the gentlemen to demonstrate! Need some audio or video facilitation :licklips:

:rotfl: You two ladies are very smart and speak correct English. Rawknee and Ronny ARE pronounced the same way...at least where I come from. It's folks from the north that have a problem with "proper English" and think it is two different words.

Rawknee

Now, to complicate things a lil' more...folks from Australia, New Zealand call all Americans Yanks. I reckon folks from England call us that too, I've just never traveled to England and can't verify that...although I see World War Two movies that have Limey's calling us Yanks. :victory: .

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Wow, your conversations is hilarious!! Rawknee's southern English brought me back to the time when I first came in. I wonder how many times has Ronny repeated his Rawknee story? I guess each one would ask the same question. Eventually Rawknee will become Ripeknee! Hey, I also think "I" should be pronounced the same as "eye", as Miss Wenyan Belle does, why not? how do you pronounce them in a different way?

Mick's teaching in pronounciation is hard to mimic.

I taught students many times why English has become a universal language known to all over the world. but sometimes I'm still amazed at the efforts that Chinese people make in speaking English. Even if in China, no Chinese person expects westerners speak Chinese. Where is the English power from? It strongly attracts people use English instead of other languages. Maybe my own experience is the answer. I just love English language. It's simple, vivid and descriptive, such as spooning. There is no such powerful expression in Chinese.

I think English became a "universal" language from two sources - one was the English (especially Great Britain) presence around the world. "The sun never sets on the British empire" was a well-known slogan from the early 20th Century. English was spoken not only in their own territories, such as America, Canada, Australia, India, but also became a common trading language in ports such as those in China. More recently, anywhere that expats gathered for work, the most common language tended to be English. So in the places where it was not a primary language, it became a secondary, fall-back language available almost anywhere for those who couldn't otherwise communicate.

from Wikipedia

The phrase "the empire on which the sun never sets" has been used with variations to describe certain global empires that were so extensive that there was always at least one part of their territory in daylight.

It was originally used for the Spanish Empire, mainly in the 16th and 17th centuries, and for the British Empire, mainly in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Especially in the 20th century, the phrase (usually without the word "Empire") has been transferred to refer to American power.

The sounds in English are much more complex than in Chinese - the Mandarin language has only vowels, a single consonant followed by a vowel, and sometimes terminated with a consonant (only n, m, or ng).

Many Western languages string several consonant sounds together - a word like "strike", which is only one syllable to our ears, can sound like as many as four to a Chinese speakers - 's', 't', 'ri', 'ke' (with a barely audible vowel sound after the 's', 't', and 'k'). I used to try to pronounce out the separate sounds like that to make them easier for my wife to hear - and then I would combine them in order to show how Westerners pronounce the word.

Pronounciation to mimic the native speakers is the most different part for me. I can never make it the way as a blond hair does.

mmm.... Thomas, please elaborate~~

During the US Civil War 1861-1865 The northern US where called Yankees by the south. Much animosity continued between the two sides long after the civil war was over. A damn Yankee moves to the south and starts living there. A good Yankee is a tourist and goes back up north we they are from. A southern experssion for a Yankee tourist is: Oh do Mr. Yankee-gentleman Y'all come back now ya-hear.

When the first time I saw the word Yankee with a Chinese translated version, it was interpreted in a negative way, even disrespecting. Now this is the second time I see there are "Damn Yankee" and "Good Yankee" difference. I'm very careful with the word useage. Ronny gives us lots of southern English to nurture us. Thanks

When I hear Yankee I think of folks from the northeast. Massachusetts, New York etc. Being originally from Idaho I always considered myself a westerner. I probably identified more with southerners than folks back east. I remember one time in Tennessee someone mentioned I was from up north. I told him "I'm not from up north, I'm from out west. We don't like Yankees either."

• Like 1

Other countries started calling us Yankees before I was born, & I suppose it is tolerated, barely. Now us Texans don't seem to fit any category other than Texan, or is that just me talking? Even the deep South doesn't get...well we are like cousins, but not immediate family, at least not with those old time land owner types. And you know what, that is just fine :) Heck we think we own the world anyway :D

Other countries started calling us Yankees before I was born, & I suppose it is tolerated, barely. Now us Texans don't seem to fit any category other than Texan, or is that just me talking? Even the deep South doesn't get...well we are like cousins, but not immediate family, at least not with those old time land owner types. And you know what, that is just fine :) Heck we think we own the world anyway :D

Doug, I always feel obligated to remind any Texan that it was a man from Tennessee that helped forge their independence! Hint: "He killed him a bar', when he was only three." :happydance: :victory: