The ice buckle is actually not that bad!

Joecy

Sorry guys, it's all in Chinese.

I received the challenge from my friend in China this morning. Pounding on it for a day, watched enormous ALS video, and decided to be the fool. Actually the hardest part is deciding who to challenge next.

My challenge went to the You May volunteers, I hope our Chinese women living in the US will:

- care for others

- face challenges

- take action

Once my 7-yr-old heard the word: ice bucket, she decided it is fun and she had to do it.

She challenged my parents and my husband. Now he was challenged twice, 1 from me.

Will he take the challenge?? :happydance:

• Like 2

Actually, down in this part of the country, tossing a bucket of ice water over your head is fairly common. In August, it is so hot and humid that doing such a thing is not a bad idea. You did great, Joecy! Hope many others follow your lead.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: love that video!

Thanks guys! You are super awesome!

Compare to the video I posted on my wechat,

1. My dad gave me a little heart

2. One friend said why did you challenged so many people?

3. Only my challenger gave warm & exciting encouragement, like you all did here!

What a difference!!!

Here's the response from people I nominated:

1. Didn't have ice

2. Don't dare to do so, and big crying face.

3. The rest didn't say a word yet.....

Americans seems really know how to have fun and cheer for others :flowers_and_kisses:

Great video, Joecy!!! Very funny!! And all for a great cause. You have a very kind heart, and a good sense of humor..

Rawknee

Thanks tsap seui!

What's Rawknee????

Rawknee :rotfl: With me, there is always a story...here's you a little story about Rawknee

My family is from the south, North Carolina to be exact. My mother had a very strong southern accent. In 1990 I married what us southerners call a "Yankee" woman from Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania being above the Mason Dixon line my wife was considered a Yankee....a very humorous lady she was, but, a Yankee nevertheless.

My new wife, being the Yankee that she is, she had trouble understanding my mother's southern accented English. Now let me explain here, the southern accent is the BEST pronunciation of the English language that there really is in this world. All other accents are feeble attempts to speak correctly...downright blasphemous in many cases.

Anyhow, one day my new blushing Yankee bride calls me up and asks, "what does your mother mean when she says the words Raw Knee? She says those two words Raw Knee all the time and I have no idea what she is talking about." I answered, "well miss Ellie Belle, I don't rightly know. Is she talking about a kid who fell off of his bike or something?" We neither one could figure it out and a few days went on by....then....Miss Ellie Belle calls me up all excited and all and says, "I GOT IT, I KNOW WHAT YOUR MOTHER IS SAYING WHEN SHE SAYS RAW KNEE!!!!" MIss Ellie tells me, "You damn southerners...you and your adding in two or three added syllables to most of your words.....Raw Knee is Ronny, your name!!!!!"

Well, we all got a good laugh out of my silly Yankee wife not understanding proper English. When my mother passed on I started signing my name (Ronny) as Rawknee on the internet. Many folks in the carpet cleaning industry who use the internet, especially down in Australia and New Zealand, know me as Rawknee. The Aussies and Kiwis love the humor in that name and as well it keeps the memory of my dear ol' southern mama flowing with humor.

For what it's worth, my first wife was a Yankee too. She was from New York City. After being around my mother she picked up on the southern accent so well, that she speaks with more of a southern accent then even I do. :rotfl:

I seem to have a propensity of marrying Yankees. Even my dear Chinese wife, miss Wenyan Belle, is a northerner (Fushun) in China. It seems China folks have the north folk versus south folk version of what we in America have. Often my wife will say, "South people" when she meets another Chinese person here in America. I am sure the sentiment "North people" is said about her in return.

Now, about the words "miss" and "Belle (pronounced bell)" when we gentlemen of the south speak of or refer to our wives and other women. That is just us southern gentleman's way of showing our regards and respect for women in our lives. An example of this southern gentleman's hospitality and respect for women would be...."Well hello there miss Joecy Belle, how are you this fine morning?" If your husband doesn't talk to you like that Joecy, you may find that you have married yourself a dadgum Yankee. :roller: Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you. :bye1:

Shucks, I have even called, since she was a baby, my daughter Ahrial (pronounced like the 3 letters R E L)..."miss Ahri belle". I don't know any other way to talk, fine southern gentleman that I am. :victory:

Finally, now my Chinese wife and son speak English with a bit of a southern accent in many of their words. It is so soothing to hear my wife pronounce the word " I " as eye.

Rawknee

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Now Joecy, Raw Knee is right. There is only two ways to speak English - the southern way and the wrong way. And the rules are fairly simple - if you have a one syllable word you need to add an extra letter, often a "y" or a "w", and make it a two syllable word. For example: "yes" becomes "yayiss" and "door" becomes "dowere", which is pronounced "dough-were".

Conversely, if you have a two syllable word you compact it into one syllable. For example: "flower" is pronounced "flare." "Power" is pronounced "pare."

I don't know why Yankees talk the way they do - it is a mystery to me. Maybe it's all that cold weather, icy roads, and rusted out buildings they gots up there. "There" by the way, is pronounced "thar." "Up There" is simply "up-air."

Got it? :huh: :blink:

Cuzin' Mick, yawl is a much better teacher man than me. Yaw'll note I wrote my post in "bad" english just to make shore miss Joecy Belle cud unnerstan it...in case she done marred herself a Yankee and ain't been versed in proper English jes yet.

Rawknee

Wow, your conversations is hilarious!! Rawknee's southern English brought me back to the time when I first came in. I wonder how many times has Ronny repeated his Rawknee story? I guess each one would ask the same question. Eventually Rawknee will become Ripeknee! Hey, I also think "I" should be pronounced the same as "eye", as Miss Wenyan Belle does, why not? how do you pronounce them in a different way?

Mick's teaching in pronounciation is hard to mimic.

I taught students many times why English has become a universal language known to all over the world. but sometimes I'm still amazed at the efforts that Chinese people make in speaking English. Even if in China, no Chinese person expects westerners speak Chinese. Where is the English power from? It strongly attracts people use English instead of other languages. Maybe my own experience is the answer. I just love English language. It's simple, vivid and descriptive, such as spooning. There is no such powerful expression in Chinese.

Joecy, can you pronounce Ronny and Rawknee differently? I don't think I can. I may say the two words in the same way.

Rawknee :rotfl: With me, there is always a story...here's you a little story about Rawknee

My family is from the south, North Carolina to be exact. My mother had a very strong southern accent. In 1990 I married what us southerners call a "Yankee" woman from Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania being above the Mason Dixon line my wife was considered a Yankee....a very humorous lady she was, but, a Yankee nevertheless.

My new wife, being the Yankee that she is, she had trouble understanding my mother's southern accented English. Now let me explain here, the southern accent is the BEST pronunciation of the English language that there really is in this world. All other accents are feeble attempts to speak correctly...downright blasphemous in many cases.

Anyhow, one day my new blushing Yankee bride calls me up and asks, "what does your mother mean when she says the words Raw Knee? She says those two words Raw Knee all the time and I have no idea what she is talking about." I answered, "well miss Ellie Belle, I don't rightly know. Is she talking about a kid who fell off of his bike or something?" We neither one could figure it out and a few days went on by....then....Miss Ellie Belle calls me up all excited and all and says, "I GOT IT, I KNOW WHAT YOUR MOTHER IS SAYING WHEN SHE SAYS RAW KNEE!!!!" MIss Ellie tells me, "You damn southerners...you and your adding in two or three added syllables to most of your words.....Raw Knee is Ronny, your name!!!!!"

Well, we all got a good laugh out of my silly Yankee wife not understanding proper English. When my mother passed on I started signing my name (Ronny) as Rawknee on the internet. Many folks in the carpet cleaning industry who use the internet, especially down in Australia and New Zealand, know me as Rawknee. The Aussies and Kiwis love the humor in that name and as well it keeps the memory of my dear ol' southern mama flowing with humor.

For what it's worth, my first wife was a Yankee too. She was from New York City. After being around my mother she picked up on the southern accent so well, that she speaks with more of a southern accent then even I do. :rotfl:

I seem to have a propensity of marrying Yankees. Even my dear Chinese wife, miss Wenyan Belle, is a northerner (Fushun) in China. It seems China folks have the north folk versus south folk version of what we in America have. Often my wife will say, "South people" when she meets another Chinese person here in America. I am sure the sentiment "North people" is said about her in return.

Now, about the words "miss" and "Belle (pronounced bell)" when we gentlemen of the south speak of or refer to our wives and other women. That is just us southern gentleman's way of showing our regards and respect for women in our lives. An example of this southern gentleman's hospitality and respect for women would be...."Well hello there miss Joecy Belle, how are you this fine morning?" If your husband doesn't talk to you like that Joecy, you may find that you have married yourself a dadgum Yankee. :roller: Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you. :bye1:

Shucks, I have even called, since she was a baby, my daughter Ahrial (pronounced like the 3 letters R E L)..."miss Ahri belle". I don't know any other way to talk, fine southern gentleman that I am. :victory:

Finally, now my Chinese wife and son speak English with a bit of a southern accent in many of their words. It is so soothing to hear my wife pronounce the word " I " as eye.

Rawknee

When I lived in the deep south I was always told there are two types of Yankees. 1 The Yankee that goes home and 2. The Damn Yankee that stays.

Wow, your conversations is hilarious!! Rawknee's southern English brought me back to the time when I first came in. I wonder how many times has Ronny repeated his Rawknee story? I guess each one would ask the same question. Eventually Rawknee will become Ripeknee! Hey, I also think "I" should be pronounced the same as "eye", as Miss Wenyan Belle does, why not? how do you pronounce them in a different way?

Mick's teaching in pronounciation is hard to mimic.

I taught students many times why English has become a universal language known to all over the world. but sometimes I'm still amazed at the efforts that Chinese people make in speaking English. Even if in China, no Chinese person expects westerners speak Chinese. Where is the English power from? It strongly attracts people use English instead of other languages. Maybe my own experience is the answer. I just love English language. It's simple, vivid and descriptive, such as spooning. There is no such powerful expression in Chinese.

I think English became a "universal" language from two sources - one was the English (especially Great Britain) presence around the world. "The sun never sets on the British empire" was a well-known slogan from the early 20th Century. English was spoken not only in their own territories, such as America, Canada, Australia, India, but also became a common trading language in ports such as those in China. More recently, anywhere that expats gathered for work, the most common language tended to be English. So in the places where it was not a primary language, it became a secondary, fall-back language available almost anywhere for those who couldn't otherwise communicate.

from Wikipedia

The phrase "the empire on which the sun never sets" has been used with variations to describe certain global empires that were so extensive that there was always at least one part of their territory in daylight.

It was originally used for the Spanish Empire, mainly in the 16th and 17th centuries, and for the British Empire, mainly in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Especially in the 20th century, the phrase (usually without the word "Empire") has been transferred to refer to American power.

The sounds in English are much more complex than in Chinese - the Mandarin language has only vowels, a single consonant followed by a vowel, and sometimes terminated with a consonant (only n, m, or ng).

Many Western languages string several consonant sounds together - a word like "strike", which is only one syllable to our ears, can sound like as many as four to a Chinese speakers - 's', 't', 'ri', 'ke' (with a barely audible vowel sound after the 's', 't', and 'k'). I used to try to pronounce out the separate sounds like that to make them easier for my wife to hear - and then I would combine them in order to show how Westerners pronounce the word.