protection sense

Hello, everyone! I was packing this afternoon when I heard a loud scary siren coming into our campus where I live. The piercing sound from a fire engine startled everyone in the neighborhood. We did not see any smoke imaginable. Then there was the news! A family called the fire engine to catch waspers for them!!! They found a nest of waspers somewhere around their house. Is that a big fuss over a small thing? I wonder how do you do with wasper nests, snakes, mosquitos, ticks or even a dog bite? Joecy, do you like to use Chinese mosquito net over your bed? Is there skeeter net available in America?

Wasps are a way of life down here in the South. They will nest just about anywhere. Just last week, I discovered a nest underneath the gas cap door on my Jeep. That was a nasty surprise to say the least. I usually deal with wasps by purchasing a can of the wasp killer that can be sprayed from a distance. It usually works pretty well. The use of mosquito nets in America is not common, but I am sure they can be purchased in a number of places. As for snakes, I won't go near one under any circumstance as I am very fearful when it comes to Mr. No Shoulders. Oh, and I don't much care for weasels, either.

Wasp are very painful of even one bites and or stings you sometimes they will do both. It is not life threatening unless you are allergic to them. If you are you can go into anaphylactic shock and possibly die. My wife is allergic to them. She was just stung on the hand about two weeks ago and her little hand swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. For home treatment first wash the site with soapy water and apply cortisone. It's about as good as anything for treating a sting that is not to bad. Mick can tell you what doctors can do for them better than I can as he was corpsman when he was in the Army. Emergency personnel can give you a shot of epinephrin right on the spot and that will help if you are having trouble breathing.

I have heard about those asian wasp they can get MUCH larger than our American variety. I recently read a story about how much trouble they were causing in China this summer. I strongly suggest that if you see any stay away from them. The do nest in the bushes and trees so they can be hard to see sometimes.

Hornets are by far the worst in my experience.

Larry

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Wasp are very painful of even one bites and or stings you sometimes they will do both. It is not life threatening unless you are allergic to them. If you are you can go into anaphylactic shock and possibly die. My wife is allergic to them. She was just stung on the hand about two weeks ago and her little hand swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. For home treatment first wash the site with soapy water and apply cortisone. It's about as good as anything for treating a sting that is not to bad. Mick can tell you what doctors can do for them better than I can as he was corpsman when he was in the Army. Emergency personnel can give you a shot of epinephrin right on the spot and that will help if you are having trouble berating.

I have heard about those asian wasp they can get MUCH larger than our American variety. I recently read a story about how much trouble they were causing in China this summer. I strongly suggest that if you see any stay away from them. The do nest in the bushes and trees so they can be hard to see sometimes.

Larry

If you are stung and mildly allergic, like swelling of the hand or area where you are stung, apply ice and a topical antihistamine like benadryl cream. However, if you are highly allergic and start feeling your airway swell shut, go immediately to the emergency room. Injections of steroids and/or antihistamines will fix you right up. But you have to get medical help right away. I never will forget an episode when I was in college. There was a girl I always wanted to go out with and after months of rejections, she finally said yes. We had a great dinner, then went for a romantic moonlight walk in the park. Just as things were starting to get interesting, she was stung by a wasp and went into anaphylactic shock. I ended up spending the rest of the evening with her in the emergency room. And needless to say, she never went out with me again as she saw me as "bad luck." Oh well. . . .

Wasp are very painful of even one bites and or stings you sometimes they will do both. It is not life threatening unless you are allergic to them. If you are you can go into anaphylactic shock and possibly die. My wife is allergic to them. She was just stung on the hand about two weeks ago and her little hand swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. For home treatment first wash the site with soapy water and apply cortisone. It's about as good as anything for treating a sting that is not to bad. Mick can tell you what doctors can do for them better than I can as he was corpsman when he was in the Army. Emergency personnel can give you a shot of epinephrin right on the spot and that will help if you are having trouble berating.

Larry

If you are stung and mildly allergic, like swelling of the hand or area where you are stung, apply ice and a topical antihistamine like benadryl cream. However, if you are highly allergic and start feeling your airway swell shut, go immediately to the emergency room. Injections of steroids and/or antihistamines will fix you right up. But you have to get medical help right away. I never will forget an episode when I was in college. There was a girl I always wanted to go out with and after months of rejections, she finally said yes. We had a great dinner, then went for a romantic moonlight walk in the park. Just as things were starting to get interesting, she was stung by a wasp and went into anaphylactic shock. I ended up spending the rest of the evening with her in the emergency room. And needless to say, she never went out with me again as she saw me as "bad luck." Oh well. . . .

Scary stuff. When I was a child one of my best friends was allergic to bees. When playing baseball in the park, riding around on our bikes, or whatever, he always had to bring his "bee sting kit" in his fanny pack along. There were a couple times when he was actually stung. Friends' parents had to administer the shots as we waited for the ambulance. Pretty scary stuff.

Edited by dan1984 (see edit history)

Hello, everyone! I was packing this afternoon when I heard a loud scary siren coming into our campus where I live. The piercing sound from a fire engine startled everyone in the neighborhood. We did not see any smoke imaginable. Then there was the news! A family called the fire engine to catch waspers for them!!! They found a nest of waspers somewhere around their house. Is that a big fuss over a small thing? I wonder how do you do with wasper nests, snakes, mosquitos, ticks or even a dog bite? Joecy, do you like to use Chinese mosquito net over your bed? Is there skeeter net available in America?

Hi YaJie, I am curious about the emergency services provided in China. So many of my Chinese friends are amazed at the many emergency responses we have here in the US. And, so many of my Chinese friends tell me they never experience emergency responders in China like we have in America. I am pleasantly surprised to read that your post contradict what my friends tell me. :)

Can you tell me if your emergency response system in China is satisfactory, in your eyes? My wife tells me that growing up in Nanning that she's never seen an ambulance or police respond to a call like we have here with our 911 system.

During my last visit to Nanning in 2009, I watched a woman ringing a large bell in a courtyard. My wife spoke to the woman who told her that her apartment had been broken into and she was ringing the bell to alert everyone to be wary and on the lookout for the invader. No one seemed to take any notice of the bell or the bell ringer. And, of course, I simply wondered why was'nt the police called?

Hello Mick, Larry, Dan, Dennis!! Thank you for your tips. I think many city people in China have fewer chances to experience wasper or bees. I'd not seen a wasper nest until when I was in the States. A seven-year-old girl was screaming at me to be away but I didn't see anything wrong. Right now my neighborhood is still talking about how to stay away from bees or waspers. It's free for the firemen to drive to rescue waspers' neighbor because newspaper reporters also followed them. The news agency need anything special for newspapers. So it's free and fast to have the emergency help. My uncle is an old man in his eighties. Once he fell on the curb. His head was injured. He got up and came home with his hand covering his wound. All his sleeve was stained blood. We called the ambulance that came within a few minutes. He was carried to hospital and got some stitches. He was released home a few minutes later after his CT and X-ray was done. Now the scar was my hand's size long on his forehead. So far I've witnessed twice of emergency accident. I've heard of some negative remarks about inefficiency of emergent help though.

When I was in the States, I was scratched bleeding on the hand by a cat on the farm. I didn't do anything with it. now I'm still above the grass which is a happy thing. I don't know if I'm allergic to bees or waspers. I only know I don't attract mosquitos.

Thank you for so many self-help knowledge. Mick must have many beautiful romantic stories to share. Should we share each other's funny memories in the romantic history? lol

have to run now, to have a family reunion. See you soon!! everyone!!!

Catherine

• Like 1

Just the other day my wife encountered some wasps that were nested under a car. Well when she saw one, she got a small stick and started pounding the car. Then here come the rest. She retreated and got the broom and went back. You should have seen her with that broom. :D She wasn't about to let them get away. She swung and swung until she got the last one. Of course she got the last word. :lol:

Hi YaJie, I am curious about the emergency services provided in China. So many of my Chinese friends are amazed at the many emergency responses we have here in the US. And, so many of my Chinese friends tell me they never experience emergency responders in China like we have in America. I am pleasantly surprised to read that your post contradict what my friends tell me. :)

Can you tell me if your emergency response system in China is satisfactory, in your eyes? My wife tells me that growing up in Nanning that she's never seen an ambulance or police respond to a call like we have here with our 911 system.

During my last visit to Nanning in 2009, I watched a woman ringing a large bell in a courtyard. My wife spoke to the woman who told her that her apartment had been broken into and she was ringing the bell to alert everyone to be wary and on the lookout for the invader. No one seemed to take any notice of the bell or the bell ringer. And, of course, I simply wondered why was'nt the police called?

The emergency response system seems to exist and be operational, but nowhere near as visible as in the U.S. Whenever I see a serious accident, the injured parties are usually nowhere to be seen - I assume they were hauled off to a hospital one way or another. On the roads, ambulances are fairly rare, but I have had to get out of the way a couple of times. They also seem to have a much better planned system of hospitals spread around the cities, so maybe there's not as far to go. But the individual hospitals seem to be more specialized - that is, I'm not sure if they would all treat a serious injury, or if the victim would have to go to one of the main downtown hospitals. Of course, Yajie could speak much better to the quality than I could.

From what I have seen in Guilin there is no emergency. We were in a taxi on a busy street when I heard a siren, an ambulance was directly behind us. Vehicles simply do not yield to an ambulance. The ambulance finally got around our taxi and then needed to make a left turn to get to the hospital. Again, no one yielded.

If you have an emergency and need to get to a hospital in China you'd probably be better off to take a taxi and offer extra incentive to get there quickly.

• Like 1

From what I have seen in Guilin there is no emergency. We were in a taxi on a busy street when I heard a siren, an ambulance was directly behind us. Vehicles simply do not yield to an ambulance. The ambulance finally got around our taxi and then needed to make a left turn to get to the hospital. Again, no one yielded.

If you have an emergency and need to get to a hospital in China you'd probably be better off to take a taxi and offer extra incentive to get there quickly.

Yes - I've seen them in the rear view mirror where it takes a LONG time for them to catch up to where I COULD get out of the way. They simply don't try to work through traffic.

But then I've heard the same thing said about France, where they might be performing actual Medical care in the back, and driving so as to not disrupt that.

Can't say that I have any idea what they do in China.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)