language, loneliness and more.... Chinese Church may help your loved

Joecy

I have been contacting Chinese churches in Michigan and Ohio, trying to understand what service do they provide to newly arrivals.

1) A lot of them provide ESL(English as 2nd language) class for free.

2) Provide information on social security application, driving license, bank, where to shop to get discount, even drive you to grocery store.

3) Marriage consulting for interracial couple: They mentioned these couples have language and culture barriers, sometimes, more complications .

4) Teen consulting: They mentioned no matter the kid was born in China or America, after age 10-12, they tend to have IDENTITY confusion.

5) A place to speak Chinese and meet Chinese friend - we all know how much people miss speaking their mother tongue, and how lonely our Chinese loved one is after husband going to work.

Not promoting any religious belief, but so far, the fact told me, Chinese church plays a key role in helping and sharping the Chinese communities in the US.

Here's an interview article we did:

Church, the Soul Harbor for Chinese Immigrants

http://en.youmayus.org/NewsShow.asp?id=399

Anyone here have experiences with Chinese church?

Back in the mid-9os I underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery at age 46. It was a real wake up call. I also had to leave my job as it was a major source of stress in my life at the time. In my recovery period, the pastor of my church phoned me one day and asked me to have lunch. During the course of our meal, he told me that he had a vision to start an outreach to the local Chinese community, with the goal of having Chinese language services at the church. This was in Miami and there were many congregations with outreach to Latino communities, but few dealing with Asian ethnic groups. I agreed to take leadership of this effort and, to make a long story short, within nine months we were bursting at the seams with new Chinese congregants and had two services in Mandarin each Sunday, in addition to our English and Spanish services. It was during this period of time that I made the decision to move to China, which I did in 1997. Shortly before I left, the Chinese congregation at our church was beginning an outreach program to new arrivals, especially helping with language classes, free child care, driving classes, and transportation. I have found most Chinese churches to be very helpful, although I have also found a few that were a bit judgmental on certain issues. This was the exception, however, and not the rule. Some of our members have a lot of experience with Chinese churches, so hopefully you will get some positive response here.

When my wife came from China, we met some friends and ended up going to Chinese church on Sundays.

Not being interested in the Christian doctrine, I sat listening and strengthened my Mandarin.

I have mixed reviews on the church.

At first it was a lot of fun for the Chinese ladies. All the "mixed" couples would bring food, and after the sermon we would meet in a room and eat and talk.

Then, our success was our doom. One of the "leaders" started coming, and pushing after lunch bible reading.

The time went from an hour or so for fellowship, to 2.5 hours of suffering.

The ladies were not meeting to do bible study, they were meeting for friendship, as a result fewer and fewer people came, and lunch stopped.

For me, this is standard Christian (perhaps all churches) behaviour. They were so interested in spreading their doctrine, they destroyed the fun.

Still, the ladies stayed in touch, and so for that network the church was useful.

The ladies helped each other with job ideas etc., but in fact it wasn't very beneficial.

The problem is the ladies who come to America as wives have varied experience, skills, and education.

As a result, what works for one is not practical for many of the others.

I did see the church help women find jobs, but they were all very low level jobs (child care, cleaning etc.).

Again, helpful for some of the people, but not a majority for sure.

I think the churches can provide a network, people with a common language, maybe even job or transportation help, but you have to be able to tolerate their indoctrination process if you want what they offer.

My wife finally went her own way, and seldom goes to church any more.

I am still trying to get her to my Buddhist temple.

• Like 1

Our church is multi-racial with 36 different spoken dialects within its membership... a reflection of the SoCal multi-racial community that it serves.

My wife has a network of very close Chinese lady friends who met through the church. Many new arrivals have joined this circle of friends too. Some come, some go, and some stay within the ever growing circle of friends for years.

It all depends where you live, I suppose. Our church is a social gathering place without heavy requirement for it's members to join any activity within church grounds that is only church sponsored.

I have been contacting Chinese churches in Michigan and Ohio, trying to understand what service do they provide to newly arrivals.

2) Provide information on social security application, driving license, bank, where to shop to get discount, even drive you to grocery store.

3) Marriage consulting for interracial couple: They mentioned these couples have language and culture barriers, sometimes, more complications .

4) Teen consulting: They mentioned no matter the kid was born in China or America, after age 10-12, they tend to have IDENTITY confusion.

5) A place to speak Chinese and meet Chinese friend - we all know how much people miss speaking their mother tongue, and how lonely our Chinese loved one is after husband going to work.

Not promoting any religious belief, but so far, the fact told me, Chinese church plays a key role in helping and sharping the Chinese communities in the US.

Just my own, biased, opinion, but I think it may be more beneficial to a new arrival to join a multi-racial church with a Chinese ministry within an older established church with English speakers.

I have donated my time helping teach ESL and Citizenship classes to Chinese at our church for close to 9 years now. Many Chinese, at least in this large SoCal Chinese community, have very little contact with US citizens like myself. I do believe that I've been helpful to many new arrivals bridge the gap of understanding life in my world and their new world through our good Chinese friend, Mary, who I assist in these classes and through Mary's translations of my answers to their questions.

I would urge all American men and women to donate their time to these Chinese churches. You'd be well received. And, the friendships and gratification you receive is simply immeasurable. I often sit in on my wife's Sunday morning Chinese class. I am usually the only "white" person there. I've learned most of their Chinese names by now. I am always touched when they all take turns to shake my hand while addressing me as "laoshi" or "teacher". :)

http://i61.tinypic.com/161e0du.jpg

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just my own, biased, opinion, but I think it may be more beneficial to a new arrival to join a multi-racial church with a Chinese ministry within an older established church with English speakers.

I have donated my time helping teach ESL and Citizenship classes to Chinese at our church for close to 9 years now. Many Chinese, at least in this large SoCal Chinese community, have very little contact with US citizens like myself. I do believe that I've been helpful to many new arrivals bridge the gap of understanding life in my world and their new world through our good Chinese friend, Mary, who I assist in these classes and through Mary's translations of my answers to their questions.

I would urge all American men and women to donate their time to these Chinese churches. You'd be well received. And, the friendships and gratification you receive is simply immeasurable. I often sit in on my wife's Sunday morning Chinese class. I am usually the only "white" person there. I've learned most of their Chinese names by now. I am always touched when they all take turns to shake my hand while addressing me as "laoshi" or "teacher". :)

Dennis is like me so ugly they wouldn't let him in the picture. :nonono: Dennis knows me well enough to know that I am joshing him. Dennis has been a great contributor the to Asian community where he lives. He has taught them in english classes, cooked many Thanksgiving meals for a 100/200 people every Thanksgiving. He has even shared his home with Chinese women that had no other place to go. :secret:

Larry

I agree completely with what Dennis said about connecting with an established English-speaking church with an active Chinese ministry. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this was the type of program we put together at the church I attended when I lived in Miami. It was a great experience and those new arrivals that came on board were well received and benefited greatly from their involvement. Like Dennis, I would also encourage those who are able to donate their time and skills to these programs. It is a great way to give back to your community.

• Like 1

Dennis is like me so ugly they wouldn't let him in the picture. :nonono: Dennis knows me well enough to know that I am joshing him. Dennis has been a great contributor the to Asian community where he lives. He has taught them in english classes, cooked many Thanksgiving meals for a 100/200 people every Thanksgiving. He has even shared his home with Chinese women that had no other place to go. :secret:

Larry

Good grief Larry, it ain't like I don't get more than I give in return. First, Mary asked that I shoot a picture of her Sunday School class. So, I'm not in it. But you're right, why ruin a good shot. Second, please note the many men in the class. It isn't just about the wymmins. Honest. :D And, Leiqin invited her friends to stay with us in the past. But, those days are long gone now, as no matter who the guest is they're like fish and start to smell bad after three days.

Fortunately, my long time friends have learned the art of cooking turkeys and can do it on their own now. I usually just make the stuffing. :)

Again, my post wasn't meant to be about me, but about how us American men can contribute where we can if the opportunity arises. That is if you don't mind being the center of attention. :lol:

I have found most Chinese churches to be very helpful, although I have also found a few that were a bit judgmental on certain issues. .

hi Mick, hats off to your leadership! That was quite an amazing journey.

I'm curious about your comment on" judgmental on certain issues..." , anything you remember particularly?

I am still trying to get her to my Buddhist temple.

Is this Buddhist temple in the US?

Any Chinese going there?

I don't know how far you are from Cincinnati, Ohio but there 2 in the area. I hope this will help.

http://www.immanuel.net/cincc/Homepage/mt_healthy_main.asp

Thomas, thanks for sharing the link!

This is one of church I contacted :) I spoke to their Administration person, his name is Robert. Very very good person, knowledge, patient, being in the US for 30 years, spoke native English and perfect mandarin as he lived in Taiwan and Guangzhou before. I was very impressed.

• Like 1

Beautiful Chinese Community! The energy from this picture is beaming through the webpage!

ESL and citizenship training is sooooooo important! Such a wonderful service, plus culture mix!

The Chinese community is very isolation. Even living in the US, having kids going to US school, we Chinese still didn't know much about US culture.

One of my friend brought her kids to have lunch at my house, she was from Taiwan, already got her citizenship. I asked her kids whether they like lasagna, they all cheered. When she knew I made them, she was really surprised! She said she had them in restaurant, but never thought about making lasagna by herself in her 10 years in the US.

Yes, American men can build a culture bridge between US and your wife's community!!

Dennise, Kudos to you!!

I agree completely with what Dennis said about connecting with an established English-speaking church with an active Chinese ministry. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this was the type of program we put together at the church I attended when I lived in Miami. It was a great experience and those new arrivals that came on board were well received and benefited greatly from their involvement. Like Dennis, I would also encourage those who are able to donate their time and skills to these programs. It is a great way to give back to your community.

Interesting!

The comment I heard from one Chinese church was that the interracial couple came for marriage counseling had a hard time, because their husband didn't want to go to the Chinese church.

Looks like there's a need for Chinese pastor in the US :oneeye: