language, loneliness and more.... Chinese Church may help your loved

Joecy

The problem is the ladies who come to America as wives have varied experience, skills, and education.

As a result, what works for one is not practical for many of the others.

I did see the church help women find jobs, but they were all very low level jobs (child care, cleaning etc.).

Again, helpful for some of the people, but not a majority for sure.

Very interesting observation!

I couldn't agree more, Mick.

Before coming to the US, I believe most of us all had job, career, profession in China.

How to continue our skill and experience, and apply to the US market, is a big question hanging on my head!

The problem is the ladies who come to America as wives have varied experience, skills, and education.

As a result, what works for one is not practical for many of the others.

I did see the church help women find jobs, but they were all very low level jobs (child care, cleaning etc.).

Again, helpful for some of the people, but not a majority for sure.

I've never thought of nor known our church as a place to find jobs. Of course, jobs can be found through networking with other women. You're right and it's just a fact of life, without being fluent in English and the ability to transfer their Chinese job skills to the US, they will be stuck with those jobs you mention. Add massage to the list. Some adapt and others can't, I suppose.

Here in SoCal, most often their only options are working for a Chinese boss 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Again, without English fluency, it's difficult to make the transfer to working for an English/American employer.

From a personal perspective, I think that living so close to this large Chinese community here in SoCal has hampered my wife's English ability to excel. If it wasn't for me, she'd have little reason to learn English.

From a personal perspective, I think that living so close to this large Chinese community here in SoCal has hampered my wife's English ability to excel. If it wasn't for me, she'd have little reason to learn English.

Very interesting. I heard similar comments that you don't need English living in a large Chinese community.

Less struggle, less learned, but then, Why America?!

• Like 1

Very interesting. I heard similar comments that you don't need English living in a large Chinese community.

Less struggle, less learned, but then, Why America?!

Now there's a question I've asked more than once. Only good answer I've been given is the quality of life, clean air and food. I can almost guarantee that almost all of the Chinese I know here is SoCal would love to, yearns to, make the jump from working in the Chinese community to working in an American, English speaking one.

Elderly Chinese seek US citizenship as a pathway to getting medicare and social security (I don't know how or why that works, but that's what many strive for).

It wasn't too long ago whenever I'd meet someone newly arrived, their English was very limited to nil. Thanks to English being taught in China today, most all the young people have some rudimentary English that they just need to polish through practice. If they're not going to college where they'll use English, they become swallowed up in the Chinese community and lose what little English they arrived with.

I am always in demand to sit and talk in English with these friends. I've even been offered payment by some of the wealthier arrivals to set aside a couple of hours each week just to sit and talk (to a young pretty girl). :lol:

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
  • Like 1