We started out from Nanning. First we tried the ferry, on County Road X005. It was closed for the duration - hadn't been operational in a while.

gallery_1846_702_377238.jpg

Then we tried County Road X013

gallery_1846_702_473524.jpg

Little gates like this one are common in China - it is wide enough by a few inches to pass through without having to fold the mirrors.

gallery_1846_702_611234.jpg

We ran into a little traffic here - and big potholes - we bottomed out twice

gallery_1846_702_290708.jpg

Then when it looked like the drivers were going to be getting out of their vehicles to haggle over who got to drive through which pothole, we decided it was time to turn back.

gallery_1846_702_110796.jpg

When you can't see the potholes because of the traffic on them, it makes it especially difficult.

Fortunately, soil where we are is rocky enough that getting stuck in the mud just doesn't happen - but the potholes are plenty big due to the big trucks.

We did get to go to 'Food Street'

gallery_1846_702_348810.jpg

and enjoy the view from Qingxiushan

gallery_1846_702_1126183.jpg

and come home with my usual 4-5 month supply of USDA Choice steaks, mozzarella cheese from Argentina, New Zealand butter, and western-style bacon.

Where have you been to the north? Randy, BJ for sure. but further north? where? Does your wife speak mandarin Chinese?

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

Where have you been to the north? Randy, BJ for sure. but further north? where? Does your wife speak mandarin Chinese?

That's as far north as I've been in China - at least three trips so far, not counting just passing through the airport on the way to Nanning. My wife wants to spend a month there sometime - she figures we can rent an apartment somewhere reasonably enough, but, to me, that just seems like a month away from home.

I'm more interested in exploring nearby, off the beaten path destinations, than in going to everyone's "must see" places.

On North America, I've been a little farther north - to Calgary and Banff and Jasper National Parks.

I always like the southern areas in China. Randy, you are living in the best place of China. I never like Beijing, too busy, noisy. The north is too cold. But the northern areas are safe comparatively to say. We had no tornado, earthquake, flood or other bad weather. We are only frozen in winter. Your wife is smart enough to bring you to her hometown!

Living here in China, it's really convenient to travel to nearby SE Asia countries as well. I don't have all that much extra money sitting around, but traveling in SE Asia is not expensive. Spent a couple weeks in Vietnam last year, as well as a week in Thailand a couple years ago. As well as Hong Kong and South Korea.

This year, as always, will be spending around 10 days in Sichuan for the Chinese New Year, and after that plan to meet a couple friends from the US for 3 weeks in Thailand - gonna hit it all - Bangkok, the north near Chiang Mai, and also some time on the beaches in the south.

The farthest I've been in the north is Inner Mongolia, or, perhaps Lanzhou and Dunhuang in Gansu - not sure which is technically further north. Sichuan is great, and with all the relatives she has, I've pretty much been everything.

I really hope to find a way to get to Yunnan and Guangxi next.

Wow, Dan loves travelling! You've been everywhere of China + the Asian countries. In Thailand, did you do the scuba? I couldn't stand walking down the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for the water buoyancy is too strong. After moving forward on the knees at the bottom, my knee skins got bruised. Have you tried Tibet?

Wow, Dan loves travelling! You've been everywhere of China + the Asian countries. In Thailand, did you do the scuba? I couldn't stand walking down the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for the water buoyancy is too strong. After moving forward on the knees at the bottom, my knee skins got bruised. Have you tried Tibet?

Nope, never any scuba diving, not the biggest water guy, but would like to try it someday. Same with Tibet, would love to go there too - and Xinjiang!

Xinjiang is easier for you but you need some legal permission to see Tibet. Good luck to you!

Xinjiang is easier for you but you need some legal permission to see Tibet. Good luck to you!

Yes, need the legal permission for Tibet, and apparently can only go with travel groups if you want to visit certain areas, which is never fun! So, I guess we'll see............

A big problem now is we would love to go to Taiwan, but it is hard for my lady to get the clearance to go there without having to travel as part of a tour group.

• Like 1

Xinjiang is fantastic, probably my favorite place we've traveled "in China". It was unreal to be in a residential neighborhood three or four blocks away from a tourist site in Urumqi and realize that almost all the women were in burqas. And it was fun being in a "Chinese" city where my terrible Putonghua was better than many of the locals'! :rotfl:

• Like 1