My wife has her passport and visa in hand. We are getting ready for our move to America, but we need to settle a few disagreements first.

1. My wife already received her first round of vaccinations, but still hasn't gone back for her final vaccination shot. Some Chinese wives she has spoken to in some QQ groups say that the second vaccine is unnecessary. I say better safe than sorry. Does she need this final vaccine before leaving China, or can she get it in America.

2. Also, we are looking for the cheapest possible flight back to NY for this summer. All of the cheapest flights have overnight layovers in Tokyo. My wife thinks that she is not allowed in Japan and will get sent back to China. I disagree. Can we buy this ticket with nothing to worry about?

My wife has her passport and visa in hand. We are getting ready for our move to America, but we need to settle a few disagreements first.

1. My wife already received her first round of vaccinations, but still hasn't gone back for her final vaccination shot. Some Chinese wives she has spoken to in some QQ groups say that the second vaccine is unnecessary. I say better safe than sorry. Does she need this final vaccine before leaving China, or can she get it in America.

2. Also, we are looking for the cheapest possible flight back to NY for this summer. All of the cheapest flights have overnight layovers in Tokyo. My wife thinks that she is not allowed in Japan and will get sent back to China. I disagree. Can we buy this ticket with nothing to worry about?

From an immigrations point of view, the I-693 Vaccination section is all that is required. Once the Civil Surgeon (even in China) has signed off on it, she's good to go. Nothing further is required.

From a MEDICAL point of view, that's between you, her, and the doctor - you may wish, and it may be advisable medically , to complete the sequence of vaccinations.

From an immigrations point of view, the I-693 Vaccination section is all that is required. Once the Civil Surgeon (even in China) has signed off on it, she's good to go. Nothing further is required.

From a MEDICAL point of view, that's between you, her, and the doctor - you may wish, and it may be advisable medically , to complete the sequence of vaccinations.

Make damn sure that you get a CERTIFIED English translation for your wife's medical and vacination records. We did not and had them translated once she reached the US. Our local civil surgeon (TAMPA) would not accept the fact that my wife had all our required vaccinations in China and insisted that she again get each and every one here. She had 12 vaccinations in 3 days, swelled up like a strawberry and I had a $800 bill because our insurance would not cover the expenses.

Some here said it was a money grab by our local civil surgeon and I agree. Unfortunately the alternative would be going to Miami or Atlanta as our city only has 2 civil surgeons certified and they are partners (in crime).

Travel no problem as long as you do not leave the airport.

True Blue

ps there are no "disagreements" with our wives - they are always right and we are always wrong (at least that is what my wife tells me)

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Make damn sure that you get a CERTIFIED English translation for your wife's medical and vacination records. We did not and had them translated once she reached the US. Our local civil surgeon (TAMPA) would not accept the fact that my wife had all our required vaccinations in China and insisted that she again get each and every one here. She had 12 vaccinations in 3 days, swelled up like a strawberry and I had a $800 bill because our insurance would not cover the expenses.

Some here said it was a money grab by our local civil surgeon and I agree. Unfortunately the alternative would be going to Miami or Atlanta as our city only has 2 civil surgeons certified and they are partners (in crime).

Travel no problem as long as you do not leave the airport.

True Blue

ps there are no "disagreements" with our wives - they are always right and we are always wrong (at least that is what my wife tells me)

The Civil Surgeon that we used ripped us off too. I think that most are a greedy lot. That's just my opinion. I think there was a survey here a long time ago about Civil Surgeons and their dealings.

Larry

A clinic that deals in immigration medical exams should know what's required. There are civil surgeons who will rip you off. My advice is to download a list of civil surgeons in your state/area and start calling in an outward spiral until you find one who will sign off on the I-693 for a reasonable fee. I'm puzzled though since you mentioned she's your wife, I presume you filed an I-130 and her visa is IR-1 or CR-1. There is no adjustment of status for a CR-1 or IR-1 visa. . You would only need a civil surgeon to sign off if she entered on a K-1 or K-3 visa. K-3 visas are pretty much obsolete so I'm assuming IR-1 or CR-1. Since she has the visa in hand she has already met all the requirements. She only needs enter the US and await her green card.

As for Tokyo she won't be able to leave the international area of the airport without a visa.

• Like 1

A clinic that deals in immigration medical exams should know what's required. There are civil surgeons who will rip you off. My advice is to download a list of civil surgeons in your state/area and start calling in an outward spiral until you find one who will sign off on the I-693 for a reasonable fee. I'm puzzled though since you mentioned she's your wife, I presume you filed an I-130 and her visa is IR-1 or CR-1. There is no adjustment of status for a CR-1 or IR-1 visa. . You would only need a civil surgeon to sign off if she entered on a K-1 or K-3 visa. K-3 visas are pretty much obsolete so I'm assuming IR-1 or CR-1. Since she has the visa in hand she has already met all the requirements. She only needs enter the US and await her green card.

As for Tokyo she won't be able to leave the international area of the airport without a visa.

The question was if the second (and subsequent) vaccinations are required for immigration purposes. They're not.

Once he has the signed I-693 in hand, no further visit to a Civil Surgeon is necessary.

I think I said that Randy.

Since she has the visa in hand she has already met all the requirements. She only needs enter the US and await her green card.

Yes - we went off on a tangent there when I mentioned Civil Surgeon to refer to the doctor in China who would have signed off on the I-693. Just trying to get the focus back to the original question.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys! You are correct, the wife is always right, even when they are wrong.

About the airport in Tokyo. My wife called the japanese embassy in China, and was told that we could not stay overnight in the airport, and that we would be forced to take an expensive taxi and buy a hotel room in Tokyo. This doesn't seem right.

Are you sure we can stay in the airport all night? This would save us a lot of money on our plane tickets.

1) The first round is all that is needed to satisfy immigration, however the follow up shots or being tested for immunity (Titer tests) are recommended after arrival just to be safe. My wife did not go for the second shots, HOWEVER she was required to have the Titer tests done to satisfy the admissions requirements for college she took classes at.

2) And yes may have problems with connection in Japan, short layovers are allowed, however an overnight one will pose a problem.

Since she has the visa in hand she has already met all the requirements. She only needs enter the US and await her green card.

Yes - we went off on a tangent there when I mentioned Civil Surgeon to refer to the doctor in China who would have signed off on the I-693. Just trying to get the focus back to the original question.
This is only the case for K-Visas, the statement of "WIFE" having a visa in hand makes the assumption she has a CR-1 or IR-1 visa which gets a green-card upon arrival, there will be no Civil surgeon involved since there is no adjustment of status. Only Wife visa that would be concerned with this is the K-3 visa which are very rare.

Thanks for the input guys! You are correct, the wife is always right, even when they are wrong.

About the airport in Tokyo. My wife called the japanese embassy in China, and was told that we could not stay overnight in the airport, and that we would be forced to take an expensive taxi and buy a hotel room in Tokyo. This doesn't seem right.

Are you sure we can stay in the airport all night? This would save us a lot of money on our plane tickets.

How long is the layover? Big international airports do not typically close though there may be limited services in the wee hours of the morning. In the Seoul airport there is an area with lounges where you can even sleep though I am not that familiar with Tokyo as I only went though once.

1) The first round is all that is needed to satisfy immigration, however the follow up shots or being tested for immunity (Titer tests) are recommended after arrival just to be safe. My wife did not go for the second shots, HOWEVER she was required to have the Titer tests done to satisfy the admissions requirements for college she took classes at.

2) And yes may have problems with connection in Japan, short layovers are allowed, however an overnight one will pose a problem.

This is only the case for K-Visas, the statement of "WIFE" having a visa in hand makes the assumption she has a CR-1 or IR-1 visa which gets a green-card upon arrival, there will be no Civil surgeon involved since there is no adjustment of status. Only Wife visa that would be concerned with this is the K-3 visa which are very rare.

The "Civil Surgeon" plays a vital role in the immigration process - THEY make the decision on EXACTLY which shots are required for EVERY Immigrant, based on that immigrants personal situation, any requirements in place, and even potentially any breaking epidemics - check the CDC web site for more information. I'm not sure what the "Civil Surgeons" in China are called, but they serve exactly the same function.

How long is the layover? Big international airports do not typically close though there may be limited services in the wee hours of the morning. In the Seoul airport there is an area with lounges where you can even sleep though I am not that familiar with Tokyo as I only went though once.

In Hong Kong, I actually stayed in an airport hotel/lounge which provided a lounge chair for me to sleep in, a "buffet" of sorts, a semi-secure area to store my luggage, and access to private restrooms - all for $75USD overnight.

About 2 years ago I had a stop over in Tokyo, at Haneda airport. Here is my flight info:

Returning Date:MO,1/21/2013
Flight: Japan Airlines(JL) 0024
Flight Hours: 3hr 20min
Depart: 16:40 Beijing(PEK)
Terminal: 3
Arrive: 21:00 PM Tokyo Haneda International (HND)
Terminal: I
Day Arriving: 0day
------------------------------------------------
Flight: A Airlines(AA) 0134
Flight Hours: 12hr 45min
Depart: 06:50 AM Tokyo Haneda International (HND)
Terminal: I
Arrive: 05:35 John F Kennedy International (JFK)
Terminal: 8
Day Arriving: 0day
------------------------------------------------

I got my luggage and went to an airport restaurant and had some gyoza. I then went out on the floor somewhere and got me a couple of seats and took a nap there until the morning. Sorry but I don't remember 100 % but I am pretty sure that I had to exit security when I got there and then had to go back thru security in the morning. There were only about 10 other passengers hanging out when I was there. I am pretty sure they were all Japanese. Your wife being Chinese. Not sure if that is going to make a difference. She may need a visa. I tried to look it up on the net and didn't find much info. The rules seemed to be different for people from Macau and Hong Kong vs mainlanders. The term visa reciprocity was used. I have dealt with IACE, a Japanese travel agency, that has offices in the states. Maybe they could give you some insight. You can also try the airlines that your wife is flying on, maybe they could tell you. Sorry I can't tell you more. Danb