Happy moments to share

Ronny and Mick are the writers that can put you right in their story. From the stories that you have written to me in PM's you are a gifted writer too. Me, I actually don't know why they let me stay around.

Larry

Catherineli has a great flair with her writing. Mick is the one with the real talent...my peckin' and scratchin' is simply "therapy" stories from my life's experiences...much easier to do. Larry, we look up to you man, I could ask you the same question, partner man. LOL

Rawknee

• Like 1

Holytiledo!! I got a great gift of idioms today!!!! Fei chang gan xie Great Thomas! Hey, Thomas I wonder if your profile picture is your wife dancing in the sea?

Thank you very much for these idioms. I do need this!!

Catherine

She is my Rita Hayworth, Elenor Powell and Ginger Rogers all rolled into one. These 3 ladies where famous actresses and dancers in America. Here is a skit by one Rita Hayworth. "Stayin Alive" thats what its all about.

OK! Here is one more happy moment in my/our life.

Though it's a day early.

My wife (zhenghong) and i where married on 06-01-2006.

In China on this day is the Children's holiday.

This was 8 years ago and we will calibrate our wedding anniversary on this day.

06-01-2014

This this being said i would like to share some photos of this day back in 2006.

With these photos everyone can see the face of: Nuworld.

Zhenghong will be commenting to this thread shortly for as many know she is also a member here on CFL.

(her English is not very good as some know)

gallery_2511_535_270758.jpg

gallery_2511_535_262383.jpg

gallery_2511_535_113936.jpg

gallery_2511_535_288177.jpg

gallery_2511_535_1490133.jpg

Sooooo happy that I got more professors today! Professor Randy, Professor Ronny, Professor Thomas, Professor Mick, Professor Dan, and my tutor Larry, I see you are all "biting off more than one can chew" in helping me practice English. It's the right blessing for me to come to this forum so I "Split the whistle." In order to give you thanks, I want to "Let the cat out of the bag" with one of my teaching shames at my school:

God spoiled me to fail

One of my classes to students was listening comprehension course. This was the easiest job at college. Rewinding the tape recorder for them, I sometimes asked the students to mimic and repeat after the recorded voice. Its a way for me to help the students with their English pronunciation. Approximately sometime in 2003 I was doing this job in the computer room. By impulse, I felt like reversing roles between the teacher and the students. It was also a way to train them standing in front of an audience to overcome “stage fright.” Therefore, one of my male students stood up trying to act as a teacher and offered to operate the tape recorder. I accepted. So he took the teacher’s seat in the front of the classroom while I sat relaxed in his student seat. Soon subconsciously I fell asleep while the class was still going on. But unfortunately I was awakened by the student “teacher” without knowing how long I had slept. When I opened my eyes and looked up, I saw several college supervisors quietly filing out of the classroom. It turned out that the school leaders had suddenly come in to check the class atmosphere. My student “teacher” was so nervous that he whispered to me trying to wake me up. I could never tell what the school leaders were thinking of my class or me because I was completely asleep. But I guess the school leaders took it for granted that the student teacher” was speaking in English to his girl student, me. My university was so large that school leaders could never know their employees and students by faces. I didnt have to know who my university president was either.

Any professional worker knew it was against the school rule. I know for sure it was no coincidence that a real teacher was sleeping in her classroom during class time without being noticed. God spoiled me by covering me so that no one could see me. I believe my Lord is the only all powerful God who is full of grace and mercy, giving me the freedom to fail. He led me about, he instructed me, he kept me as the apple of his eye. Deut.32:10

Catherineli, my name zhenghong

my friends call me hong.

my husband tell me that new chinese woman together on cfl.

i say your english is much better than me.

my husband tell me i should write more here on cfl but my english very no good as you.

I can read and understand the english words but very difficult for me to write.

I speak very good english but the write very no good.

Congratulations to Mike and Zhenghong!!! Happy for you!!!!!!!!!! By the way I thought Tsap is Ronny but what does "Rawknee" mean? I have one more question here for my nice professors.

Chinese social etiquette requires us to address the teaching staff "Teacher" either in high school or universities. We don't say "Mr So and So". BUT in English "teacher" is a profession only to those who teach for elementary or high schools. Professor is a profession for universities. If I tell someone that I teach for a university, he or she may say, "Oh, you're a professor" implying I'm not a teacher but a professor. In China professional field, I've been an associate professor over ten years. I don't know how to tell Americans what I do for a living. Am I a teacher? or I am a professor or I'm an associate professor? It's not so good or polite to call someone, "Teacher Smith" in American culture. let me try to paste my classroom here, I'm learning to paste pictures. Mike and Zhenghong look so so happy and nice!!

no, sorry I failed.

have a nice weekend, everyone!

helloooo my Chinese sister Zhenghong!!! Very very happy to meet you here and honored that we can be classmates on this forum. Did you see there are so many nice gentlemen who can teach us English! So would you please come here and study English with me? Would you please be my friend? I just sent you two letters. Please check and have a good weekend!

Catherineli

Congratulations to Mike and Zhenghong!!! Happy for you!!!!!!!!!! By the way I thought Tsap is Ronny but what does "Rawknee" mean? I have one more question here for my nice professors.

Chinese social etiquette requires us to address the teaching staff "Teacher" either in high school or universities. We don't say "Mr So and So". BUT in English "teacher" is a profession only to those who teach for elementary or high schools. Professor is a profession for universities. If I tell someone that I teach for a university, he or she may say, "Oh, you're a professor" implying I'm not a teacher but a professor. In China professional field, I've been an associate professor over ten years. I don't know how to tell Americans what I do for a living. Am I a teacher? or I am a professor or I'm an associate professor? It's not so good or polite to call someone, "Teacher Smith" in American culture. let me try to paste my classroom here, I'm learning to paste pictures. Mike and Zhenghong look so so happy and nice!!

no, sorry I failed.

have a nice weekend, everyone!

LOL...you will have to excuse my English ma'am. I am from the south...where we speak "proper English"...not that English stuff taught in schools. I have a southern accent and often times I write like the way I speak my English, with a southern accent. :victory: Please don't pay much attention when you see me leave off the g in ing words.... things like "I was workin' today. I'm buildin' me a new outhouse, cause the old one is fillin' up too quickly and startin' to overflow into the neighbor's yard.

Now the word "Rawknee" My ol' southern mom had herself a very strong accent. She named me Ronny. But, the sound that came out of her mouth was more like Rawknee.

I married what we call a "yankee" lady in 1990. During our first years of marriage she would ask me what my mother meant when she said the words "Raw Knee". Heck, I didn't know. I told my wife I had no clue what my mother was talking about when she said Raw Knee. "Was she telling you about a skinned knee or something", I'd ask.

Finally one day, I get a call at work and my yankee wife says, "I got it now, I understand what your mother is talking about when she says the words Raw Knee....IT IS YOUR NAME....RONNY." :rotfl: My then wife proceeded to tell me, "You damned southerners, you take one and two syllable words and make them into 3 or 4 syllables. No wonder I can't understand anything you and your mom say."

My mom passed away a few years ago, about the time I started getting on computer websites. In tribute to her memory....and a salute to the southern accent I started signing my name as Rawknee...except for the time I've been tsap seui here on Candle For Love. More and more friends are calling me Ronny now, so, I'll use Rawknee to friends, and tsap seui to acquaintances.

When I went to Beijing to meet Wenyan, she had a paper sign, since we had never actually seen each other (another wild and crazy story). One side of the sign said Wenyan and Ronny The other side of the sign said Wenyan and RAWKNEE

She had no clue LOL I still have that paper sign from that hilarious, and glorious, day that we met.

Be careful readin' my stuff Catherineli. I tawk real funny sometimes. I'll try and speak "yankee" language when I post in your threads. :whistling: Hopefully I won't ruin your great grasp on English. :P

Rawknee

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Hi Rawknee, how'dy today? glad that I ain't your acquaintance. me, your friend from China, so Raw Knee! lol, I'm from the north of China, so I'm also Yankee, i.e. I ain't a southerner. I like your accent, "I was workin' today. I'm buildin' me a new outhouse, cause the old one is fillin' up to quick and startin' to overflow into the neighbor's yard."= I was working today. I'm building me a new outhouse, because the old one is filling up to quick and starting to oveflow into the neighbor's yard, not to their living room, though. lol

I was learnin idioms and slangs today. I'm buildin me vocabulary, cause my English words aren't fillin up to my new life. I wanna lose Chinese accent and tryin to set up slang and idioms words, cause they've been comin to practical life. Wassup with the modern English now? I'm wonderin.

dream in color and wake up with a southern smile!

YJ :happydance:

• Like 1

Lord God Billy Bob, dern if'n you ain't gettin' this here hillbilly southern accent kinda tawkin down pat...I tells ya. Golly Bob Howdy, and bust my suspenders, ma'am. Y'all may be from the north of Chinartucky, but dang if'n y'all don't tawk like y'all is from down south in America.

By the way, my wife is from Fushun. She calls herself "North People".

Today at lunch, Wenyan and my step son Fengqi and I were laughing hilariously in a restaurant called "The Cracker Barrel". They both were talking with southern accents and it was so funny. I laugh everytime I hear my wife say the word "I". Just like me she pronounces it... eye.

Mick, you readin' this....I think we may have us a honest to God...southern Belle here. :rotfl: You wanna learn a good southern accent and some great slang Catherineli ? Mick and I can teach you some REAL English. Some may call it, "ruinin' your English" but southern folk speak "proper" English...the rest of that stuff is what we southerners call the Queen's English.

Have fun, laugh loud, long, and hard. Life is way too short otherwise.

Rawknee

Now Catherine, pay them Yankees and Hillbillies no heed. The proper way to talk is like we do in the wild wild west. I'm originally from Idaho. Quite possibly the redneck capital of the USA. There are less than a million people in the whole state. There's probably more people in a square mile in Beijing than there is in Boise, the largest city. Howdy of course is a perfectly acceptable word. Wash is pronounced "warsh" and a creek is a "crick". Creek is what the door does when it needs oiled. No one would call me Mr Etherton because Mr Etherton is my dad. My name's Carl.

Damn Mike all these years and I didn't know yours and Hong's wedding anniversary is June 1st. Bing and I were married June 1st 2004. Our 10th is Sunday. Every year I buy Bing a traditional gift. The 10th anniversary is tin. I'm thinking a tin of something tasty. Happy anniversary Mike and Hong. I bet we don't forget each other's anniversary now.

OK! Here is one more happy moment in my/our life.

Though it's a day early.

My wife (zhenghong) and i where married on 06-01-2006.

In China on this day is the Children's holiday.

This was 8 years ago and we will calibrate our wedding anniversary on this day.

06-01-2014

This this being said i would like to share some photos of this day back in 2006.

With these photos everyone can see the face of: Nuworld.

Zhenghong will be commenting to this thread shortly for as many know she is also a member here on CFL.

(her English is not very good as some know)

gallery_2511_535_270758.jpg

gallery_2511_535_262383.jpg

gallery_2511_535_113936.jpg

gallery_2511_535_288177.jpg

gallery_2511_535_1490133.jpg

Happy anniversary to Mike and Hong! Happy anniversary to Mr Etherton's wonderful son Carl! Happy anniversary to Mr Etherton's super daugherinlaw Bing!! Carl, I stayed at Boise last year for two months. Next year I may go to Boise again.

But I don't understand Thomas' saying, "She is my Rita Hayworth, Elenor Powell and Ginger Rogers all rolled into one. These 3 ladies where famous actresses and dancers in America. Here is a skit by one Rita Hayworth. "Stayin Alive" thats what its all about."

Who is she? me???

"Proper" English and "Queen" English are both hilarious to me. "Funshun" is very close to Changchun where I'm living. I hope I can meet Wenyan and Bing here.

Now let me interpret this paragraph for fun: "Lord God Billy Bob, dern if'n you ain't gettin' this here hillbilly southern accent kinda tawkin down pat...I tells ya. Golly Bob Howdy, and bust my suspenders, ma'am. Y'all may be from the north of Chinartucky, but dang if'n y'all don't tawk like y'all is from down south in America."= "Holycow! Darn it if you don't understand the southern accent, you are kind of talking down pat---- I tell you. Holy smokes, how'dy, but (bust) I doubt (suspenders), Ma'am. You're maybe from the north of China but boy! if you don't talk like you're from down south in America" balabalabla, well, I'm gone with wind-------, too diffcult, I love to be a queen in Qeen English. Good night everyone, you're all my walking dictionaries! Please help more! smiling------

Damn Mike all these years and I didn't know yours and Hong's wedding anniversary is June 1st. Bing and I were married June 1st 2004. Our 10th is Sunday. Every year I buy Bing a traditional gift. The 10th anniversary is tin. I'm thinking a tin of something tasty. Happy anniversary Mike and Hong. I bet we don't forget each other's anniversary now.

Well how about that!

We learn something new everyday and yes, we won't forget our/yours anniversarys now.

Though as we get older we may have to help each other to remember this date.

As for buying gifts.

Hong has a thing about gifts and says, No buy me gift just save money.

Well go out for dinner and enjoy a night :flowers_and_kisses: :pash:

Happy anniversary Carl and Bing

Mike

Hot damn!!!!.....Congrats on the anniversaries, Mike and Carl. Here's to many more to follow.

Great job Catherineli Belle!! In the words of my greatest mentor, Mr. WC Fields, "Ah yes, my little chickadee, it appears you picked the lucky ducky, won the prize as it were. Yore skills at decipherin' the non-Queen's English are beyond compare."

Bust mah suspenders.....many portly sorts of manhood wear suspenders to hold their pants up. Bust my suspenders is where you sneak up behind them and pull the elastic material shaped in an X in the back with a mighty heave and let go. With a POP the suspenders smacks them in the back, they turn, and chase you. Sometimes, in wonderment of something hilarious, or downright outrageous, someone has said, you may find this redneck hillbilly, tsap seui, say something like "Well pop mah sus-penders and slap me silly." In effect, I'm sayin', "Ya gotta be kiddin, me, Bubba"...or maybe I'm sayin' "Shirley you jest"

It's all good fun. You do have a good grasp on this here English tawk.

Rawknee