NEW VISA PROCEDURES WILL BE IMPLEMENTED IN CHINA

Announcement FROM THE CONSULATE GENERAL IN CHINA

On March 3, 2004, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and the four U.S. Consulates General in China will transition to a China-wide Visa Information Call Center that will provide visa-related information to visa applicants and schedule their non-immigrant interview appointments.

Telephone Number: The telephone number for the call center will be announced on March 2, 2004.

Goal: The Visa Information Call Center will improve customer service for visa applicants, providing callers with easy access and accurate and timely information regarding the visa process. Callers will be able to access information on all visa-types and application procedures for both immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

Fee: Callers will need to pay a small fee to access the Call Center. The initial charge will be 54 RMB for 12 minutes of use. Any calls that take longer than 12 minutes, of which we anticipate there will be relatively few, will be assessed an additional 54 RMB for each 12-minute segment.

Payment options: Callers will be able to pay for the service using credit card, debit card, bank draft, or postal order.

Credit/Debit card: Payment can be made by entering the credit/debit card number into the telephone for validation.

Bank draft/Postal order: Applicants can send either of these to the Call Center, and 10 days later may call and access the service.

CITIC Bank: We are working with CITIC Bank to provide an additional option by which applicants may purchase Call Center calling cards directly from CITIC Bank. Details on this option will be available shortly.

Note: Non-immigrant visa appointments will no longer be made by calling the US Embassy or an individual consulate directly ¨C all non-immigrant visa appointments will be made through the Visa Information Center.

Biometrics in U.S. Visas

Over the course of the next several months, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and U.S. Consulates General in China will begin fingerprint scanning for most non-immigrant and immigrant visa applicants. The precise date of the implementation will depend at each post on the completion of technical preparations and the installation of the appropriate equipment.

Congress mandated the use of biometrics (fingerprint scanning) in visa issuance in the Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act of 2002.

Fingerprint scanning has been successfully introduced in 63 consular sections so far, including Hong Kong. By October 26 of this year, all visa-issuing embassies and consulates worldwide will be required to collect fingerprint scans in connection with non-immigrant visa applications.

The Department of State is not singling out any particular country or mission for implementation. This security enhancement is intended as an important link in America¡¯s overall plan to improve border security. It will also help ensure better security for all prospective visitors to the U.S.

The scanning itself is quick, unobtrusive, and will only add a few seconds to the application process. The two index fingers of a visa applicant will be scanned electronically during the consular officer¡¯s interview with the applicant by placement of the fingers onto a small scanner at the interview window.

Scanning is inkless.

An applicant who refuses to be fingerprinted would have his or her application denied on the basis that it is incomplete. However, an applicant who then later decides to provide fingerprints would have his or her visa application considered without prejudice.

The following applicants are exempt:

Children under 14

Adults over 79

A-1, A-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, C-2, and C-3 category visa applicants (in general, these are foreign government officials traveling on official business, as well as some government representatives to international organizations, or those officials in transit through the U.S.)

Individuals traveling to the U.S. for urgent medical treatment who cannot reasonably appear for fingerprinting

If an applicant is missing an index finger, another finger will be scanned. If an applicant has a temporary condition (e.g. cut or blister), they will be instructed to reapply when the index finger heals.

Fingerprint scanning at post is an essential link in US national security, because the prints will be compared with those collected at ports of entry. This will verify identity and reduce the use of stolen and counterfeit visas; it will also make travel to the US safer for all legitimate travelers.

The inclusion of biometric data in travel records will also make it easier to replace lost or stolen travel documents by facilitating confirmation of identity.

Passback of Passports with Visas

As a result of the additional time needed to issue approved visas because of the fingerprint check, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing will no longer be able to provide same-day service to visa applicants who are approved for a non-immigrant visa (NIV).

Instead of receiving their visas following their interview, approved applicants will receive their passports and visas via Express Mail Service (EMS).

We will release shortly information about the precise date this spring this new procedure will take effect, as well as the fees and procedures associated with this new system.

Goal: The Visa Information Call Center will improve customer service for visa applicants, providing callers with easy access and accurate and timely information regarding the visa process. Callers will be able to access information on all visa-types and application procedures for both immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

This sounds very much like Russia's system (which is a miserable failure from the customer service point of view).

They could probably cut the call volume by 3/4 by implementing a web interface with informative status information. And, of course pick up and start processing the applications immediately when they arrive in China from NVC.

My issues with the Russian system are as follows:

1) They subcontract out the call service. They provide general status info to these subcontractors. However, there is absolutely no place to esculate the call or any way to ask for more information or clarifications because the operators can just read what is on their computer terminal and have no additional information about the case. (of course, all of this information should be provided on the WWW and eliminate the call center all together).

2) Of course, the cost is excessive. I think it was about $2 / minute to be told absolutely nothing and get absolutely no help.

3) Although it will reduce the call volume, the main purpose seems to be to insulate the Consulate from having to actually deal with the people.

I guess my point is that the toll system is fine for status updates, but there is absolutely no way for them to actually deal with "problems". So, as in my case where my application has been stuck in Moscow for 6 months, the telephone operators can do absolutely nothing to help me resolve the problem other than tell me that the application is currently under "Additional Administrative Processing", and has been there for 6 months. It wasn't until I actually tracked down the main number for the Embassy that I discovered that they Embassy had referred to DOS for additional information and was awaiting the reply back from the good old USA.

I think they should evalutate fixing the issues that are causing the calls rather than trying to eliminate the calls. Although, I do wonder about the rebound effect in call volume as any news gets posted on this BBS.

On the flipside, in general, Russia has supposed to have gotten more efficient with their visa process. Note, this is a general statement as plenty of individuals still fall through the cracks in the system. Perhaps this will take some load off of the people answering phones and allow them to be dedicated to opening applicaitons. And, of course, it brings in a little money too.

Time to answer the phone was quick when I called. I think the answer was almost immediate after listening through all the long menu prompts.

----- Clifford ------

In all the months that I tried getting through to GZ, it was a complete fiasco - hardly ever got through to anybody. I found DOS much more informative. When I had to deal with GZ, I found that they responded quickly to my e-mails, and this became the standard method of communication to me.

If this new phone system is designed to replace visa interview appointments via P4 or letter, then I have my doubts whether it will be an improvement. Only time will tell.

Ok,

I presume that they will be modeling this after the "Russia" system.

In Russia, there is a 1-800 number to call the call center from the USA. I belive that the charges don't start until one has a "live person" on the line which is usually in a couple of minutes. I believe that the operator was Russian and not American. Thus she had good English skills, but was heavily accented.

The problem with the system is that the operators have very limited information, and apparently they have no way to follow up on a single case. Thus, I was told to send an e-mail to the embassy (which, of course, did absolutely nothing).

I eventually found the main phone number to the Embassy and asked to be transfered to the consul general's office, or to the consular section. This provided more useful information, but still did not solve my problem.

Presumably the call center has relieved a large amount of call volume load from the Embassy, and thus calling the Embassy directly may be easier for those extreme cases that need extra attention.

----- Clifford ------

I hope we never have to use, or is it, be used by this service. It is very pricey.

A while back I was reflecting on the number of visas the USA hands out each month... think it was in response to NOW busy they are here in China, and than how many by year plus all the other countries etc.

hmmm While this whole department might not be classed a cash cow it certainly would come in as a plump pig. Now these new procedures will just add a little more pork to the pig.

Anyways here are some phone numbers from a card I got at the GZ Embassy tel: (86) (20) 8121-8000x5633 and (86) (20) 8121-8000x5773 or x 5957 and (86) (20) 8121-8418 these are in desending order on the card so you might want to try them this way.

I have not called in some time but do know that in the past I have gotten thru and spoken to a warm..? living? ... well lets just say not a machine..? awww you know what I mean.. :)

Mark and Bea

BCIS revisited... Geez....

Same people, new name, same bullshit and tricks

54 cents /mn for hearing the same nonsense we used to hear for free ?

Damn, I'm glad my honey has her visa and is here. :angry:

I don't have use for that GZ number anymore, thank God, but I am really p*** off...

I agree completely Eric. At least in the Black Hole days, we got to listen to the double-talk and disinformation for free. ;)

And I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut this telephone service will be subcontracted to an outsource. When Owen and I met with the folks at GZ, lo a year ago this month, they acknowledged they outsourced the phone answering system. No reason to change that now. :D <_<