The Curse of Junk Food

Did anyone try Pizza Hut in China?  My wife can't wait to try it here in USA.  I think she will be disappointing with Pizza Hut here.  I bet Pizza Hut in China is different.

we ate at Pizza Hut 2 times this trip(Shanghai) and subway once, subway was a joke pizza hut did a good job on the pizza but the other dishes sucked (Spaghetti, lasagna)

Guest blsqueaky
Did anyone try Pizza Hut in China?  My wife can't wait to try it here in USA.  I think she will be disappointing with Pizza Hut here.  I bet Pizza Hut in China is different.

Yeah I did when I was in Shanghai in December was ok but pizza hut likes dry pizza no sauce same as U.S. but had all the types.. I prefer a little sauce on the pie.. In a bind will do though..

Tried Pizza Hut in GZ, was not impressed at all, and bellieve it or not, the bill was the same as if getting it here. Luckily my wife likes many different type of western food.

Guest blsqueaky
I was wondering if anybody with kids from China, had introduced them to Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches?........

(then try teach them how to not mix the peanut butter in the jelly jar and vice versa)...............:wub:

Hey Squeak...I see we sent our P-3's back to GZ and accepted at GZ the same days....23rd and 25th

Okay now, lets see who gets the P-4 first. The race is on.

I'll have to check this farmer's market out sometime. I've been to the "international" farmer's market on "Ponce" in Atlanta, and its got quite a variety, but Buford Hwy is definately closer..

Pizza hut in SZ isn't bad, I was a little disappointed by what they considered "large"..

This morning we hit a Denny's, it turns out she loves hashbrowns.. I feel terrible because every morning she tells me how much she misses dim sum, and the closest dim sum place is 2 hours away in Atlanta..

She doesn't cook, but after living with her family for about 10 days, I'm really hoping she could. I swear, I'm even starting to miss hot tea with every meal (the first time I went to China, not having something cold to drink with my meals made me sick).

Food definately seems to be the largest part of the homesickness, and I'm not sure what I can do.. I can cook the basics, but by chinese standards, the restaurants around here are quite sub-par. Maybe I can find a small chinese family that will adopt us :)

I ate at Pizza hut in GZ and Zhongshan and hated it!! No sauce and the cheese wasn't that great. It also had a lot of grease and don't get me started on the price!! More expensive than America plus you only get one trip on the salad bar sooooooo everyone that went built these HUGE salad plates that were (I'm not kidding) 2 feet high! Then they would bring it back to the table and share it with four people. That's what I call getting your money's worth. :lol: Not sure if this is true or not but Nicola says that the cheese problem is because China doesn't have very many cows (She proved her point by stating the fact there were cows at the GZ zoo! HAHAHAHA) The milk and cheese in China is not so good. It may be my age but I'm a fast food freak and I can handle food in China for a week but after 20+ days i'm dying!! I would pay $100 for a decent pizza, burger, steak, anything!! I'm going back in April and I'm bringing one suitcase full of food!! Cheetos! HAHAHA Chocolate, peanut butter, bunny bread!, cereal, cream cheese, mac and cheese, gumbo mix! I just can't get used to the bones in all the Chinese resturants. Its aggravating to eat food that you have to seperate in your mouth. Maybe its just me but I would die if Nicola comes to New Orleans and asks for Chinese everyday! We'll have to make two stops to please everyone! :D

I ate at Pizza hut in GZ and Zhongshan and hated it!! No sauce and the cheese wasn't that great.  It also had a lot of grease and don't get me started on the price!! More expensive than America plus you only get one trip on the salad bar sooooooo everyone that went built these HUGE salad plates that were (I'm not kidding) 2 feet high!  Then they would bring it back to the table and share it with four people.  That's what I call getting your money's worth. :) Not sure if this is true or not but Nicola says that the cheese problem is because China doesn't have very many cows (She proved her point by stating the fact there were cows at the GZ zoo! HAHAHAHA) The milk and cheese in China is not so good.  It may be my age but I'm a fast food freak and I can handle food in China for a week but after 20+ days i'm dying!! I would pay $100 for a decent pizza, burger, steak, anything!! I'm going back in April and I'm bringing one suitcase full of food!! Cheetos! HAHAHA Chocolate, peanut butter, bunny bread!, cereal, cream cheese, mac and cheese, gumbo mix!  I just can't get used to the bones in all the Chinese resturants.  Its aggravating to eat food that you have to seperate in your mouth.  Maybe its just me but I would die if Nicola comes to New Orleans and asks for Chinese everyday!  We'll have to make two stops to please everyone!  :D

Yes, I understand your cravings you are talking about. I love Chinese food but after eating only Chinese for a while you can't help but want your home style food again. Is there a friendship store anywhere in the city you are at? They might have some things you want. :D

The kids have discovered Buffalo wings. We went to Taco Mac last night and I ordered the hottest wings on the menu. Jingwen actually ate several of them, but she refused to use her fingers to hold them - had to use a knife an fork. She thought they were good, but not hot enough. :)

Question: Why are chicken wings more expensive than thighs and breasts? Is it because we're shopping at the Asian markets? I ask this because Jingwen only buys chicken wings when we go shopping for food. Seems to me that wings ought to be the cheapest part of the chicken.

The kids have discovered Buffalo wings.  We went to Taco Mac last night and I ordered the hottest wings on the menu.  Jingwen actually ate several of them, but she refused to use her fingers to hold them - had to use a knife an fork.  She thought they were good, but not hot enough. :o

Question:  Why are chicken wings more expensive than thighs and breasts?  Is it because we're shopping at the Asian markets?  I ask this because Jingwen only buys chicken wings when we go shopping for food.  Seems to me that wings ought to be the cheapest part of the chicken.

Now I've heard it all. They kill buffalo for their wings?

Given all the pieces parts that I've been eating lately, I wouldn't be surprised. :ph34r:

A quick side note. We were in an American grocery store last night, and I convinced Jingwen to buy some collards and mustard greens which she prepared with some pork parts (neck, I think :) ).

She actually ate thsse "American" vegetables, remarking that they tasted good. All we need now is some black eyed peas, and I'll make a Southerner out of her yet. :P

Robert,

Friendship store?  I never heard of that?  Is that like a grocery store in China?  What do they sell?  Tell me everything! Have I been torturing myself all this time for nothing!! AHHHHHH :)

Ask her if there is any store that sells real American whiskey. These kinds of stores will sell a huge variety of foreign goods. Each item has got this cool holographic sticker on the seal where the Chinese government warrants that it is "sure" and not fake.