The Curse of Junk Food

The kids have discovered junk food. In true CFL form, cheetos seem to be the preference. :P Minghao, the son, particularly likes the red hot cheetos. Cream soda is also a big hit. The kids wanted to try pizza, so we went to the local dive. They ate. Jingwen watched.

Jingwen has yet to acquire a taste for western foods. She has sampled all the herbs and spices, but if it's not garlic or ginger, forget it. This doesn't bother me since I am eating Chinese food to my heart's content. Unfortunately, the Chinese market where we go does not carry chicken, other than chicken feet, so Jingwen has to make do with those "big fat American chickens."

PS. My water bill is bound to skyrocket. Came home from work yesterday to find the garage washed and hosed down. :D

LOL!......same with my wife. She is very skeptical of western foods and yes, especially if it doesn't have ginger or garlic in it. I took her to Wendy's yesterday for lunch. I got my usual, a #4 (bacon cheeseburger combo) and I had to look on the menu for something my wife might like. I saw a chicken and spinach salad. Hmmm, I thought, she should like this,,,it has chicken and it has leafy spinach...lol. So I got it and she studied it carefully picking at it. She ate it with a spoon because she won't use a fork and Wendy's doesn't have any chopsticks!....lol.

Yes, me too. I have converted over to Chinese food! Very good and she is a marvelous cook but I still have dreams of a fat T-bone off the grill w/ a baked potato and corn-on-the-cob!.......... :D

Frank, go to the Buford Highway Farmer's Market. It is across the street from the K-Mart, kind of hard to see because there is another building blocking the view. There she will find all the freakin' weird food that makes a China lady happy. Last time we went there Ping bought pig's tongue and catfish heads. :o :) It is Korean owned but they have everything. The other mega-Asian food market is more specifically Chinese, the name of it they call Da Hua, also on Buford Hwy on the left in that area which is thick with Oriental shops.

My wife has certainly livend up my old, boring breakfast. For the longest time I made my 2-2 and 2 breakfast, 2 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage(link or patty), and 2 slices of toast. Now my wife cooks my breakfast and she adds some spring onion stalk to the eggs. Not only is it good and smells good, it's a pleasure to look at! (the green and yellow contrast!)....:blink:

Did anyone try Pizza Hut in China?  My wife can't wait to try it here in USA.  I think she will be disappointing with Pizza Hut here.  I bet Pizza Hut in China is different.

I did in Shenzhen. The menu was very different. In addition to pizza, there was a number of pasta dishes that you don't see at Pizza Hut's here.

The pizza was pretty good.

Did anyone try Pizza Hut in China?  My wife can't wait to try it here in USA.  I think she will be disappointing with Pizza Hut here.  I bet Pizza Hut in China is different.

Pizza Hut in BJ is AWESOME! i like it much better there than i do here. it was so so so good. the variety wasn't what we, americans, would normally expect, quite limited, there was a lot of "strange" thing on there. their seafood pizza had like octopus and stuff like that on it, that is what my fiance got. they did have most of the normal pizza we enjoy, but not the more specialty ones you might want.

anyway, it is much better in china than it is here, from my experience!!!

it was a real treat if we got to eat pizza hut while i was living there!

Did anyone try Pizza Hut in China?  My wife can't wait to try it here in USA.  I think she will be disappointing with Pizza Hut here.  I bet Pizza Hut in China is different.

Smaller portions, the option of corn as a topping, the cheese seemed to have a different taste. No worse than the Pizza Hut in USA, although I'd prefer a single slice of Papa Johns over a whole pie from Pizza hut any day.

edit: The best pizza pie I have ever eaten was made by a grey haired woman from India. This pizza was good enough to make Romulus and Remus kiss and make up.

I haven't had a decent pizza since I left New York. My ex's father was an Italian baker and he swore it was the water.

The family owned pizzerias always had great pizza. I remember a little place in a strip mall back home that made the greatest Sicilian pies.

Oh, and the daughter was sooooo well endowed who could forget those.........pizzas :P

Frank, go to the Buford Highway Farmer's Market.  It is across the street from the K-Mart, kind of hard to see because there is another building blocking the view.  There she will find all the freakin' weird food that makes a China lady happy.  Last time we went there Ping bought pig's tongue and catfish heads.  :o  :lol: It is Korean owned but they have everything.  The other mega-Asian food market is more specifically Chinese, the name of it they call Da Hua, also on Buford Hwy on the left in that area which is thick with Oriental shops.

Checked out the Buford Hwy Farmer's Market on Sunday. Wow. More people than you'd find waiting to get into the consulate. :o Jingwen found everything she was looking for, even chicken wings and cow stomach. :P And, more vegetables that you ever want to think about.

It's a curious mix of Asian and Hispanic, but well worth the trip. We also go to Din Ho which is a small Chinese only market in the same strip mall as the Oriental Pearl restaurant. The selection is not as good, but the workers all speak Chinese, and this makes Jignwen happy. :D

I've just about given up on American food, but I have a business lunch on Wednesday, and I asked Jingwen to join us. We'll be going to Bones, an excellent steak house. Maybe, she'll enjoy it, but I'll be sure she doesn't see the prices. :P

I've been wondering what you were going to say, what kind of unusual selections she might make, and cow's stomach fits the bill.

Lately Ping and I have developed kind of a shorthand way of talking about her cooking. If I ask her what she is cooking and it is something too weird that I won't eat she just says "I'm cooking crazy."

It is so funny to me the way she wants to buy the weirdest pieces. She will say "oh this so much money in China." She says pigs feet are more expensive than the meat in China. At home if she bought beef it would be the gristle not the meat. The fish head is very highly prized. It is all so amusing, and thankfully Ping has started to understand how I feel about all this. She is accepting that America and China are opposite in so many ways, but she still insists Americans don't know how to eat right, we don't understand food the way Chinese people do, and we don't know what is good. Not that she will turn down a good steak either, though.

I hope Jingwen enjoys Bones. Frank, I am glad you are having so much fun. :)

Yeah I did when I was in Shanghai in December was ok but pizza hut likes dry pizza no sauce same as U.S. but had all the types.. I prefer a little sauce on the pie.. In a bind will do though..