China (and others) on North Korea

If he is carrying out these underground tests in northwestern North Korea, then it would have to be geographically close to the Chinese border. I am convinced this guy is a megalomaniac and capable of doing something so stupid, that it could trigger a major nuclear crisis. I just hope that China and the U.S. can be on the same side in any subsequent conflagration. I do have my doubts, however.

If he is carrying out these underground tests in northwestern North Korea, then it would have to be geographically close to the Chinese border. I am convinced this guy is a megalomaniac and capable of doing something so stupid, that it could trigger a major nuclear crisis. I just hope that China and the U.S. can be on the same side in any subsequent conflagration. I do have my doubts, however.

People near the test site (including Dandong) can feel the shocks - it's like a 6.5 earthquake. The annotations didn't come through on this graphic - the square is where the test site is, the line represents 100 miles.

web-KOREAmap-Artboard_2.png

in the SCMP

South Korea will soon install four additional advanced US missile defence system launchers to better insure against North Korea’s escalating threats

North Korea appeared to be preparing to launch a ballistic missile, South Korea said as it announced plans to allow the “temporary” deployment of a controversial US defence shield that has infuriated China.

We have continued to see signs of possibly more ballistic missile launches. We also forecast North Korea could fire an intercontinental ballistic missile,” said Chang Kyung-soo, a defence ministry official.
Seoul’s defence ministry also measured North Korea’s nuclear test on Sunday at 50 kilotons, Yonhap reported.
That would make it five times the size of the North’s previous test in September last year, and more than three times bigger than the US device that destroyed Hiroshima in 1945.

also in the SCMP

Imports that give a window into life in the hermit state

a510677a-8cc0-11e7-9f40-4d9615941c08_972

(1) Gaming equipment

The video game “Hunting Yankee” was the latest used by Pyongyang as propaganda to cultivate patriotism

(2) Surveillance cameras

(3) Telephones

Some analysts believe the phones may be used for more than communication. “By giving citizens new networked technologies like mobile phones and tablets, the government is able to automatically censor unsanctioned content and observe everything citizens are doing on their devices remotely,”

(4) Amusement park amenities

(5) Musical instruments

. . . and this

Tonnes of North Korean crabs are being smuggled into the country each night

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hello. Hope everyone is enjoying the last weekend of the summer. Here is an article about a possible explanation for what Kim of North Korean is doing ( at least in part):

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-may-be-the-real-target-of-north-koreas-pressure/ar-AArfuDA?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting to read that Xi Jinping and Kim have never met. If Kim Jong-Un is not careful than he may lose the goodwill of one of the few friends ,China, that North Korean has. It will be interesting to see what Xi Jinping does. Seems like this whole issue is headed in the wrong direction. Does the world need another country with an extensive amount of nuclear weapons? What would that country do with it's new found power. Danb

The answer is no, the world does not need another country with a nuclear capability when every intent (at least since Kennedy) has been to limit arms escalation. The problem is, since that time, the nuclear club has increased, not decreased. But the two major powers have come to an agreement as to size and power.

What we really don't need is a country that is a rogue country such as N Korea is. The balance of terror is turned when one side has the credible possibility to carry out its promises and is as rogue as N Korea is acting. It means there are no rules.

The Little Fat boy did not learn much when he studied in Switzerland.

• Like 1

Perhaps we could follow China's lead . . .

They are "shooting down" "simulated low flying missiles in the skies over Bohai Bay" - still actual military activity, even though the missiles shot down were only simulations.

Military’s show of strength, capability was intended as a warning to Pyongyang after its latest nuclear test, experts say

A low flying plane is not an ICBM. Even a Soviet RPG can bring a plane down. So can a Stinger.

There is a lot of dancing going on here. It would be nice if the West did not have a free press, so they could hide their military failures. We knew of the Soviet failures in their missions to put man into space. Several cosmonauts were killed in the attempt but never knew publicly until Yuri Gagarin. Even he had some problems with the landing.

Aircraft and weapons testing is the same. We have gotten better but when the Patriots were first deployed in war, they were 80% successful. (From a friend in the industry here in Phoenix.) We don't want to advertise our failures.

And it is one thing for a friend to test a shooting down, and quite another for an enemy to do the same. We are still feeding into the Little Fat Boy's publicity trap when we wave the sword. It's what keeps him alive.

But I have seen tests of the THAAD and the Patriot, shooting down Scuds and even some in space. Sometimes I wish we would publicize those too but we can't.

One test I saw showed the anti-missile actually turn around when it missed the first time.

But all this talk of wizardry does not defeat the fact that DPRK has thousands of long range artillery pointing directly south, especially Seoul. The only way to stop it would be to have a 24 hour air shield over S Korea so a response could be in seconds.

I have a feeling we have that capability. But who wants to gamble it? I have friends in Seoul. I don't.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think we have the capability to detect an upcoming launch and tell if it is equipped with explosive or nuclear material.

. . . AND, I would expect we can determine where it's going to land (whether armed or not) VERY quickly - quickly enough to determine whether to bother with shooting it down.

We knew 3 minutes after any launch in the Soviet Union where it was going and the approximate payload but not the contents -- then. Now we can tell when and approximately where a Scud missile is even preparing to launch. If Pakistan for instance was going to fire a missile it would take them 3 days just to mobilize it. We would know from our satellites -- and India would know as well.

We know what their missiles are doing. Their aircraft do not have a ghost of a chance.

In the old Triad plan, our bombers had 15 minutes to get airborne in a very timed event that was practiced constantly. We are relying now upon missiles to do all that, which is one part that really scares me if that is part of the plan now. But I can almost guarantee you the ghost of Curtis LeMay is alive and well, telling our thinkers what to do. I think what has the Little Fat Boy stirred up are the all the bombers circling like sharks in the oceans around his end of the peninsula 24/7 just waiting for the word to go.

I am glad to see those bombers practicing during the military practice maneuvers.

It has been said many times, all that is hogwash when they execute a preemptive strike with their artillery. 15,000 (I have read 17,000 but what's a gun here or there) aimed at a target 35 miles away? If they all fired at once, it's a turkey shoot. Even then, some listener is going to hear the command.

And then becomes the making of men and boys, women and girls. I really pray nothing happens. And that little s**t gets a knife stuck in his back very soon.

• Like 1

I think it's a public provocation to nudge those on the inside who already have their own plan to do it to now preempt South Korea and get it done on their own terms.

The South could also hint they have agents on the inside who are "awaiting instructions" which would destabilize the leadership; the big boy might start assasinating those close to him .. and maybe a self-fulfilling prophecy would find its resolution.

Note: I am not a black ops professional. Just saw Deadpool last night.

• Randy W changed the title to China (and others) on North Korea