Airlines for Immigrants

Here's an interesting one: preparing for our jump to the US, and my wife told me that some China based airlines give special preferences to new immigrants (extra free checked luggage). I was wondering if anyone has heard of this phenomenon, and if any US-based airlines do this (Delta, United, etc).

Thanks!

Sammy

Guest ExChinaExpat

Here's an interesting one: preparing for our jump to the US, and my wife told me that some China based airlines give special preferences to new immigrants (extra free checked luggage). I was wondering if anyone has heard of this phenomenon, and if any US-based airlines do this (Delta, United, etc). Thanks! Sammy

I've seen Chinese travel companies offer specials all the time, but you have to find and contact them to find out what's happening. Sometimes they advertise, and if they do it's usually always in Chinese. So, if your partner keeps her eyes open and searches, and calls them she may be able to find a deal. Airlines prices are dynamic so finding a deal means you need to keep your fingers on the pulse and check back often. Once you get a good feel about what the Western airlines are charging, then you can compare with any Chinese specials.

I pretty much stick with one airline these days as I want to keep the miles.

• Like 1

When my wife flew over this summer, I bought her a first class ticket from Guilin to Shanghai, and then I used my miles to buy her a first class ticket to Chicago. They did not offer any extra luggage for new immigrants but first class is afforded more luggage anyway. Actually was a good thing I did it this way. The flight from Guilin was delayed 3 hours and landed at HongQiao instead of Pudong. She landed at HongQiao with 55 minutes to make the connection which did not happen because is a 1 hour minimum to get between the 2 airports, but because I had a first class ticket to USA I called the airline and was able to change her first class ticket to a later flight at no charge to me except 10 dollars.

Was the final straw to a very tough time with her overall visa process, someday I will write the experience here.

• Like 1