A Towel! A Towel!

When I would visit Jingwen, I had to make due with a small towel that stayed constantly wet. I thought, well maybe, she just didn't have enough towels to go around.

Wrong. The new big bath towels that I bought remain unused. Instead, the smaller hand towels and in demand and remain wet. The same goes for the kitchen. We went shopping yesterday, and Jingwen bought a large stack of bar towels, those low grade "rags" used to keep the bars clean. These have now become the favorite among the family.

I still use my large bath towel, but I can't seem to convince the others that it's okay for them to use these too. Anyway, I was able to convince them to put the shower curtain inside the tub/shower, so I don't have to worry about standing water on the bathroom floor. However, the use of hot water has taken some adjustment. They're used to hot water on demand, and I had to explain to them that my hot water tank only holds 50 gallons, so we have to stagger the showers a bit. Jingwen loves the hot water from the kitchen tap and really likes the garbage disposal in the sink. She's adjusting to the dishwasher, but I still have to show her how to use the washing machine and clothes dryer.

So many cultural differences, but such a delightful experience.

The kids have comandeered my computer and spend a lot of time chatting with friends in China. It's helping them stay busy until ESL classes start. Jingwen prefers to use the telephone. MInghao, the son, has taken a fancy to American hot links, hot sausage, hot anything. KK, the daughter, love hot chocolate.

Today, we'll visit my family, and this will be Jingwen's first time to another American home. We'll see what happens when they try to remove their shoes. :D

My mom, who is an excellent cook, is worried that they won't like her food. Not to worry, I said. Just go light on the grated cheese. Since my mom is Italian, this was like asking her to cook with only half a kitchen. Go for roasted peppers and eggplant and lots of leafy vegetables I suggested. Actually, but for the cheese, there are many similarities between northen Italian cooking and Chinese cooking, particularly in the use of mass quantities of garlic. We'll see how Jingwen takes to the wine. :D

It's been raining a lot lately, so we haven't gotten out much. Hope to tour some of the neighborhoods today and go to some of the city parks, weather permitting.

Life is grand, but I'll be back to work next week. This worries me a little, since the family will be on their own. I intended to get cell phones for all of them plus transit passes for the train and busses, but ran out of time - maybe tomorrow.

Guest blsqueaky

This is one of the habits that I will have to break the wife of, especially since my floors are carpeted. This will take some doing I think, and no, I am not ripping up the carpet.

Wait 'til you find pieces of food tucked away in a bowl in your cupboards where your dishes are. I saw some orange peel just the other day along with garlic and ginger and whatever else. I don't even enter the kitchen anymore. It is definitly her domain.

It will be interesting to hear of your experiences and see how they parallel all of ours.....yes, wet towels,,,there's one we all can relate too...... :lol:

I'm going to China at the end of the week.. I'll be meeting CaiYun's family and staying in one of the family homes. She specifically got me a big towel after seeing me using the big towels and hanging them carefully in the hotels the last time I was there. She's terribly excited about this towel and apparently its completely off-limits to the family :P. I guess Douglas Adams was right, there's nothing more important to the galactic traveller than his or her towel..

Guest blsqueaky

I remember last trip, I took 2 very large and heavy towels with me. The wife would not even use. Said that they were mine. She preferred the small ones. Heck, I could not even wrap one around my waist.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still a newbee waiting the K-3 game.. But on my visit to china to get married, my then Fiancee bought me a Fork, Knife and Spoon with out me even asking, one night I showed her that I was practicing using Chopsticks and she ran into her bedroom and showed me the utensils she bought for me.. We went to our weding dinner and she forgot to bring them with her, but when her mother showed up mom brought them with her.. Towels geez I told her to small too small, so she got me a large one, but low and behold used the same one for 18 days. Got hollered at for bringing too many clothes 2 sets 2 sets thats all they say bring.. I brought about 8 sets.

Lets not forget the Porcelain Toilet in the Floor, lord if you stepped back the wrong way when taking a shower ouch.... The City of Nanning very busy place never seen so many Bikes and cycles.. Wall to wall people when shopping..Remember the famous words of my wife No money in back pockets, no money in back pockets lololol. It's an experience I will never forget.. My wife made it clear she wants to experience the American way of life, she wants to work and earn credits for SS. We have decided to Retire to nanning when I am Eligible ( about 10 years )

I can tell you this I Love My Wife and Feel the Emotional Strain of being apart. So I know how everyone must of felt going thru this.. If any one has a wife or financee in nanning and they want them to get to gether with my wife in Nanning to share the experience let me know..

I'm still a newbee waiting the K-3 game.. But on my visit to china to  get married, my then Fiancee bought me a Fork, Knife and Spoon with out me even asking, one night I showed her that I was practicing using Chopsticks and she ran into her bedroom and showed me the utensils she bought for me..  We went to our weding dinner and she forgot to bring them with her, but when her mother showed up mom brought them with her.. Towels geez I told her to small too small, so she got me a large one, but low and behold used the same one for 18 days. Got hollered at for bringing too many clothes 2 sets 2 sets thats all they say bring.. I brought about 8 sets.

Lets not forget the Porcelain Toilet in the Floor, lord if you stepped back the wrong way when taking a shower ouch....  The City of Nanning very busy place never seen so many Bikes and cycles.. Wall to wall people when shopping..Remember the famous words of my wife No money in back pockets, no money in back pockets lololol. It's an experience I will never forget.. My wife made it clear she wants to experience the American way of life, she wants to work and earn credits for SS. We have decided to Retire to nanning when I am Eligible ( about 10 years )

I can tell you this I Love My Wife and Feel the Emotional Strain of being apart. So I know how everyone must of felt going thru this.. If any one has a wife or financee in nanning and they want them to get to gether with my wife in Nanning to share the experience let me know..

Hi there, thanks for the interesting post. You should not be too shy to start your own thread. Your story is cute and sweet the way the ladies were trying to take care of you. You might consider telling your story in the Our Stories section. You have got a huge amount of experiences people would enjoy hearing about. And welcome to Candle.