***New policy for chinese born baby for exit***

New question,

Would you just use her multi entry visa and go thru the visitor line in ORD, or get her US passport stamped and file for the Chinese visa in her us passport?

With us only staying 2.5 weeks I am leaning on using the visitor line, filling out the form for Yuan and I, and the seperate form for Emily. This will save the hassle of getting the Chinese visa for her to reenter China.

I doubt it'll matter which line you take.

Seems like you'll need to present both passports at the POE - otherwise, they may not know what to do with a 'Pro-forma' visa. Then, either let the stamps fall where they may, or try to make sure they stamp both passports - to keep both options open. She's entering the country as an American citizen, and I expect she would be treated as one by immigrations.

The Chinese consulate may have other plans, though. I'm thinking they might expect you to renounce her Chinese citizenship at the PSB before they will issue a visa to her American passport. In the past, they've issued the visa to the American passport and invalidated the Chinese passport. I don't think how you enter the country will be an issue - she's an American citizen with an American passport - BUT, this is the only point at which her China exit and USA entry stamps might get any notice.

So it would seem your path of least resistance would be to use the Chinese passport for this trip, and face the citizenship issue at the PSB when you get back

Randy,

I checked with a visa agency in the states and to their knowledge it is still possible to get the Chinese visa in her us passport.

I think I can get my company to pay for the visa so I might give it a try. Worst case is they say no and we use the multi entry visa to get her back to the states for when we move back. then we can take a trip to DC and renounce her citizenship at the consulate there.

Unf*cking believable, but certainly not a surprise.

Now it appears I'll need two hukous, two Chinese passports, one American passport, and two American visas all within a few weeks.

No f*cking clue how we're going to pull this one off.

And this after a huge ordeal with the PSB back in October about how we didn't need to extend his Chinese tourist visa (in his American passport) as we could allow that to expire and then be reissued an Exit/Entry booklet. I wanted him completely unfettered from the shackles of Chinese nationality, but they wouldn't allow it!!!!

:sweating_buckets:

They changed the policy in November, we missed it by 1 day.

The good news was the visa was very fast to get for our daughter and easy. took 2 weeks to get her Chinese passport. a day to file the paperwork online, pay the fee and book the interview with the visa unit AND ACS for the same day, interview first ACS visit after. Then 1 week for delivery of course we are in the Shanghai area. so it was pretty fast I do not know how GUZ is for B2 visa's.

I would check with the local PSB exit people, they might have a different policy than they do for my wife's hometown

• 3 weeks later...

Trip went very well immigration wise, flights would of been ok if United had not canceled the ORD-ROC due to weather.

Chinese exit and security was a breeze. 20 minutes we were thru and at the gate, they sent us thru the special lane for the exit stamps.

ORD entrance was also very fast. we asked for us citizen with GC holder and they sent us thru the special lane again. 10 minutes While the woman was processing the passports I asked her if she could stamp Emily's Chinese passport she asked why. I said it would cheat the Chinese Govt out of the visa fee. I quick explanation from me and she said no problem. She also said that Emily's visa in her chinese passport was just a regular tourist visa. The explanation that Yuan gave when she went for the visa must of been good enough for them to issue the Multi entry B2.

Trip went very well immigration wise, flights would of been ok if United had not canceled the ORD-ROC due to weather.

Chinese exit and security was a breeze. 20 minutes we were thru and at the gate, they sent us thru the special lane for the exit stamps.

ORD entrance was also very fast. we asked for us citizen with GC holder and they sent us thru the special lane again. 10 minutes While the woman was processing the passports I asked her if she could stamp Emily's Chinese passport she asked why. I said it would cheat the Chinese Govt out of the visa fee. I quick explanation from me and she said no problem. She also said that Emily's visa in her chinese passport was just a regular tourist visa. The explanation that Yuan gave when she went for the visa must of been good enough for them to issue the Multi entry B2.

I suspect that they came up with the whole 'pro-forma' visa idea on the fly, and that was the result - an easy way to allow you your (her) right to travel as an American citizen.

Excellent work. Good for you.

Maybe now the Chinese will take a second look at their "new policy" and just what it does.

• 10 months later...

The saga continues.

We need to make an Emergency trip to China for a family emergency. I talk to my usual visa agency in the states, they said to send them copies of a few of my daughters items as the consulate has changed policies recently. The Chinese Consulate will not give our daughter a visa in her US passport because she has a Chinese passport, which the Chinese government forced us to get to allow her to leave the country.

They said just use her Chinese passport to travel. I responded that will be fine for getting her into China but what about the Exit police when we try to leave on her US passport with no entry in the computer system. thank-god the Shanghai US Consulate gave her a 1 year multi entry visa. We have until Dec 17th until it runs out. I just hope the Emergency is resolved by then.

I guess the first thing we do when we get back from this trip is to shlep to NYC and start the year long process to renounce our daughters Chinese citizenship.

The saga continues.

We need to make an Emergency trip to China for a family emergency. I talk to my usual visa agency in the states, they said to send them copies of a few of my daughters items as the consulate has changed policies recently. The Chinese Consulate will not give our daughter a visa in her US passport because she has a Chinese passport, which the Chinese government forced us to get to allow her to leave the country.

They said just use her Chinese passport to travel. I responded that will be fine for getting her into China but what about the Exit police when we try to leave on her US passport with no entry in the computer system. thank-god the Shanghai US Consulate gave her a 1 year multi entry visa. We have until Dec 17th until it runs out. I just hope the Emergency is resolved by then.

I guess the first thing we do when we get back from this trip is to shlep to NYC and start the year long process to renounce our daughters Chinese citizenship.

OR - you might try a visit to the consulate yourself.

My guess is they will treat your daughter like they do every other "new" American citizen, and simply void her Chinese passport on the spot.

This is usually not a problem. I think your visa agency is misleading you on that.