Inlaws coming to USA for first time

Hi all,

All is well with Lili and I. We have another year left on her 2 year green card. Then back to the process again.

Question - her parents are wanting to come visit us in April. What is the process for them to get visa and come visit? What kind of visa? How long can they stay? How long does a visa for parents take?

Matt

Yes - thank you for posting that. This thread will tell him everything he needs to know about what needs to be submitted, but is not up to date on the latest electronic application and document submission processes. These have been changing almost month-to-month, but we can help with that as needed.

Affidavit of Support I-134 Form (经济担保证明 I-134表) and my tax returns are needed for B2 visa? Really?

My inlaws are retired. However, they have their own money, own 2 homes and 2 cars.

Showing support, financial or otherwise, for their trip is a good way to help them get the visa.

It's your/their call whether you include it or not. We won't be looking over your shoulder.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just FYI on my father and mother in-laws for their first trip to USA. All went well and the interview was literally 1 minute. First my mother in-law handed the officer my "letter to the embassy" I prepared and my invite letter to my in-laws. He read both and then asked 3 questions.

Why do you want to go to America? Visit my daughter and her husbands family.

Who will you visit? Daughter, her husband and his family in Utah.

Do you have a copy of your daughters green card? Yes and then provided a copy.

That was it. Pretty easy.

Matt and Lili

That's great,

If you have an airline miles program make sure you sign then up under your account as authorized travelers. 2 round trip tickets to the states from China should be enough to get you a first level of status. I even found a one way ticket for free when Yuan traveled to the states for 32,000 miles, well it cost $75.00 but close enough. If you sign up for an airline credit card the miles should not expire. If you are buying their tickets by using the airline mileage card you should get free checked bag's. priority boarding, and the money for the tickets will also get you miles.