Request for evidence?

We filed all the paperwork for the permanent green card. I received a letter back stating they need more evidence. I am not sure what more to send. I sent the follwoing:

Drivers License, health insurance, dental insurance, photos, affadivits, life insurance, retirement funds, bank acocunt info, and credit cards. The tax return was from 2011 because the 2012 had not been filed, so I can send the 2012 tax return.

Since my wife does not have a job, she does not have a credit card of her own. I bought the house long before I met her, so her name is not on the title. Same goes for the cars.

I am not sure what to do here. Any help would be appreciated. I only got this letter for my wife..not for my step daughter.

Thanks in advance.

They want to see evidence of ongoing relationship. Recent tax returns would help. Envelopes showing date stamps delivered in her name, recent bank statements in both names, statements from friends etc.

Good luck..

They want evidence covering the past 2 years, going back at least to the beginning of green-card status.

In my case we sent:

• Pictures of us together on various vacations in various places over the 2 years. Showing dates and where taken. (Grand Canyon, Zion, Key West, etc..)
  • Copy of college record showing wife taking ESL classes over the period
  • Copies of letters addressed to us at same address.
  • Copies of joint credit card account statements
  • Copies of our driver's licenses showing same address.
  • IRS Transcripts from the two tax years

Similar topics:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45618-i-thought-the-roc-was-in-the-bagbut-resulted-in-rfe/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/44443-roc-rfe/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/30137-i751-rfe/

Thank you for the links. I have the same problem as one of the other posters. Everything is basically in my name. I owned the house and cars before she arrived. We have a joint account, but it doesn't go back 2 years. I have school documents from my daughter showing the time frame and insurance papers. She just got her license, but she had the temporary license for 2 years with our address. Credit card goes back only 6 months. All the bills for utilities etc are automatic withdrawal, so there are no paper statements with her name.

I am going to send our will insurance papers, 2012 tax return and whatever else I have. We have been married over 3.5 years so I have a lot of stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a beautiful RFE in the mail as well. The additional documents they requested just dont exist. We dont have any will's or trust, life insurance, mortgages or lease payments.

We have been living with my parents for the past 2 years so I think the only thing I can send in is the 2012 tax return, all our bank statements from the last 2 years(I only send the first month I added her and the latest month), Dan mentioned a school record, I could send her school transcript but not sure what that would do.

I thinking about writing a affidavit explaining my situation that we are in and having my parents sign it.

I just got a beautiful RFE in the mail as well. The additional documents they requested just dont exist. We dont have any will's or trust, life insurance, mortgages or lease payments.

We have been living with my parents for the past 2 years so I think the only thing I can send in is the 2012 tax return, all our bank statements from the last 2 years(I only send the first month I added her and the latest month), Dan mentioned a school record, I could send her school transcript but not sure what that would do.

I thinking about writing a affidavit explaining my situation that we are in and having my parents sign it.

Don't give up. You can really get some of the stuff you need.

Why don't you go on the internet and find some will forms - property will and living will and prepare them?

(1) There is no cost to prepare other than perhaps a small notary fee when you sign and one day this will be needed.

(2) You can open up a small joint credit card at Target or JC Penny's or Kohl's and get some % off.

(3) Pictures together are helpful. We took 4-5 changes of clothes and drove to 10-12 different towns one weekend and had our pictures taken together in front of signs indicating the name of various cities and locations. Adding, subtracting and changing hats, glasses/sunglasses, jackets shoes and outfits, and varying the camera settings for exposure it looked as if the pictures were taken over the course of a year. We never added dates or misrepresented anything but it helped establish our relationship (indoor pictures with various family and friends also works). Copy all pictures into MS Word and then print them out.

And yes the parents letter will also help. But I would not only rely on that. Good Luck.

True Blue

A small TERM life policy naming your wife as beneficiary could also help. Get one that you can pay for month by month and make a payment, show the beneficiary forms with her name as beneficiary, then cancel it when/if you no longer need it.

Also could contract for a month or two for several low cost bills and later cancel them or change existing bills (cell phone?, internet?) into both names. You don't have to spend a lot - think of some inexpensive services like gym membership or some club membership that can be paid for month by month and later cancelled easily.

True Blue.

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

TIME is the key here - try to submit evidence that you two were TOGETHER, covering various times during the two years. The bank statements sound like they cover the entire period. Why not have your parents draw up a legal-ish agreement concerning the period you've lived there? Think in terms of evidence that you HAVE, not what you DON'T have.

Explanations may sound like excuses.

Above all - send SOMETHING. I have yet to hear of a case where they didn't accept what was sent.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes,a lot is asked that you have provided in the past.Rule-of-thumb is document everything.Seems 3 years of JOINT tax return filing is the norm AND carries alot of weight.Pictures help,and by all means get your parents to write a statement attesting to the matter and have it notorized.The easier you make it for them to "check you out" the better.........

Yes,a lot is asked that you have provided in the past.Rule-of-thumb is document everything.Seems 3 years of JOINT tax return filing is the norm AND carries alot of weight.Pictures help,and by all means get your parents to write a statement attesting to the matter and have it notorized.The easier you make it for them to "check you out" the better.........

Letters attesting to relationship would be better from a friend, or acquaintance than from a parent, of course a parent would give a glowing letter so would be less strong, than someone that is outside the relationship.

We had to letters, one from a PHD friend, and the other from a good friend who acted as best man at our ceremony.

Letters attesting to relationship would be better from a friend, or acquaintance than from a parent, of course a parent would give a glowing letter so would be less strong, than someone that is outside the relationship.

We had to letters, one from a PHD friend, and the other from a good friend who acted as best man at our ceremony.

I disagree strongly here - showing the support of family members can be a strong positive. It's not at all a given that family members are going to approve of what you're doing, but it can be an asset in some cases.

Use your own judgement about what's helpful for your case.

I submitted tons of information originally. The only items I did not have were the 2012 tax returns because they were not completed by the time I needed to send the info to USCIS.

I sent many pictures, 2 affidavits from friends, bank account info listing my wife as joint, NUMEROUS beneficiary information on life insurance and other investments, health insurance information, information from the school concerning our daughter, and a few utility bills. After all this, I still got the RFE.

I now sent the 2012 tax returns, auto insurance/home policies, and a few more items. If this doesn't fulfill their RFE, I have no idea what they want.

The more info you have the better, although in most cases, it seems like you are at the whim of the person doing the auditing. My friend's wife just got her 10 year card. He showed me what he sent in. A copy of their joint bank acocunt, a will, 1 affidavit, and some pictures. I was dumbfounded. She and her son received their 10 year cards 2 weeks ago.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

WOHOO! I sent the info in on August 6th, 2013 and we received a letter today dated August 20th that they had been approved for the permanent green card!

There must have been something in there they wanted!

Yep, you must have done something right! Congrats and best wishes. :happydance: