Z visa etc., changing employers in China

Fu Lai

I decided to change universities from the one where I have a z visa now to a new one. What do I have to do? Do I need to get my new school to sign for a z visa for next year? I married here last year to a Chinese national. Also I think I have to change my foreign expert/residence permit AND get a new health test. Is that all correct? Is there anything else? Everything I have expires in September.

I decided to change universities from the one where I have a z visa now to a new one. What do I have to do? Do I need to get my new school to sign for a z visa for next year? I married here last year to a Chinese national. Also I think I have to change my foreign expert/residence permit AND get a new health test. Is that all correct? Is there anything else? Everything I have expires in September.

My understanding is that the Z-visa is good for 30 days, during which time you convert it to a work and residence permits. Yes, you need new ones for next year, whether with your new employer or the old one. They should be able to tell you whether you will need a Z-visa. I never got one, myself, since it wasn't required in order to get the work permit. This may vary in other jurisdictions.

Without a work permit, the PSB here issues an unlimited stay L-visa (to relatves of local residents), which requires a medical, but, of course, no foreign expert certificate, so I don't know if that needs to be renewed.

I was not required to get a medical after the first - I don't know how long it is good for, but I don't think you'll need another one, either.

In a nutshell, ask your new employer and the PSB. They have the answers. The only thing I had to do myself was to go get the medical, and submit pictures to the PSB for the residence permit.

• Like 1

When I switched employers in Beijing I did not get a new Z visa – just a new Residence Permit (sponsored by the new emplyer) and a new FEC (naming the new employer).

To get the new RP you will need a release letter from your current employer. They will know what it is…when I left my last job, they had a form from SAFEA to fill out. The new employer will then take care of the paperwork to get you your RP for next year.

I haven't had to repeat the physical when changing employers, but if you are moving to a different province, there is an outside chance that they might force you to have a new exam.

Your new school will know what to do – just ask them, and then let your current school know what you need from them. Your FAO has surely done this before.

Good Luck with your new job

Thanks so much my friend. More money, better students, bigger apartment, fewer hours and cleaner air at Hubei University of Economics. I am excited.

Good job! I mean, way to go!

Best wishes for success and fulfillment in your new job. I really miss teaching in China. I truly enjoyed my five years over there and although I am back in the States ten years now, I remain in contact with many of my students. I taught Literature, Writing, and Journalism and can honestly say these were some of the most rewarding years of my professional life. I look forward to hearing about your adventures when the new school year begins.

Good Luck with your new job

Thanks so much my friend. More money, better students, bigger apartment, fewer hours and cleaner air at Hubei University of Economics. I am excited.

Congrats on the new position, and, good luck with everything!!!