Trip to Hainan

Randy W

We took a bus trip to Hainan this week. On the way back, the bus turns off the frreeway near a little one-intersection town where the road is chewed up for repairs. The speed is about 5 mph. Three boys on a motorcycle come up behind the bus and pull off the license plate, offering it for sale back to the driver for ¥200 (about $30). One of them saw me taking pictures and asked to see the camera, with his buddies joining in. I politely didn't laugh, and didn't move. Once in town, there's a police checkpoint, where, they made us stop and put the plate back on.

No corruption involved (I don't think) - this was just 3 kids on a motorcycle. The police were checking papers and licenses. Police don't investigate much of anything. The solution is to make sure your plate is securely fastened. This plate had the round-head screws, but was only mounted with sheet metal screws into fiberglass.

gallery_1846_659_309519.jpg

gallery_1846_659_125115.jpg

• Like 1

Couple of entrepreneurs, lets hope they don't go big time into a hard life of crime.

The trip was a tour package from here in Yulin - cost was ¥500 per person, which included transportation, most meals, room, and some of the entry fees for attractions. Additional costs for the OTHER meals and attractions came to around ¥500. So right around $300USD for two for a five day trip - not a bad deal at all.

Hotels were pretty good - this was one of them (the view from our room back to the main building):

gallery_1846_659_534060.jpg

The meals were bad for the most part ("free" food for these kinds of tours usually is), but there was always something good for me to eat. Hainan chicken is excellent.

Great pics. Great scenery. Great deal. Can't beat that. Any notable local food or brew?

We pretty much had the tour food, but there was usually SOMETHING good on the table. Hainan chicken is excellent, but I had to buy that myself. The local beer is called, guess what, Hainan Beer, and is pretty much like other local beers.