Bomb Blasts at The Boston Marathon

As always, terrorism is often thrown around to rile people and raise military budgets.

Okay, how about we call it...."OPPS, A slight mishap in Boston".

Does that sound more politically correct? I mean, we wouldn't want anyone getting riled up, and looking to get to the bottom of this "slight mishap".

tsap seui

Ever notice how stuff like this brings out the best in folks?

• Like 1

We sort of changed Japan's religion and govt. with the unconditional surrender Until that happens in a few more countries there will be no peace. And that ain't gonna happen in this PC world. Remember the USSR trying to explain to the USA about Afghanistan & Pakistan? I didn't want to listen to them either.... DUMB of me.

I know, and I was thinking the "Western" definition... depends on the motive. If it was some nutcase that just wanted things to go boom and hurt people then I personally wouldn't call it terrorism. But yeah, the type of wording has been proven (especially in the West) to be used for military buildups. Just saying. We went to an undeclared longest war after one incident. I just hope they find out who the heck was behind this and brings them to justice.

As always, terrorism is often thrown around to rile people and raise military budgets.

I'm not sure, but you seem to not realize that the Global Times is a publication of the Chinese Communist Party. I posted that as an indication of the thought from China.

ChunMei's terrified. I've tried to reassure her that it's unlikely to happen to her, but she goes back to Nanning on the 30th for six weeks to visit her family. Now she's unsure that she wants to come back here. Not sure what to say to her. Her family's just as concerned about her safety as she is, and they are trying to pursuade her to stay in China.

Guest ExChinaExpat

ChunMei's terrified. I've tried to reassure her that it's unlikely to happen to her, but she goes back to Nanning on the 30th for six weeks to visit her family. Now she's unsure that she wants to come back here. Not sure what to say to her. Her family's just as concerned about her safety as she is, and they are trying to pursuade her to stay in China.

Chinese people perceive America as a dangerous place to live, and rightly so I think. They widely accept that the environment is cleaner and that there are government controls to deal with the population more fairly. There are trade-offs with living in the US; things that most Americans accept as a way of life. Things like being careful when you walk the streets at night, being careful not to piss off crazy drivers on the highway, watching whether someone is following you to your car after you shop at a mall, avoiding walking or driving in known bad neighborhoods. The list can go on, and on. Everyone must decide on their own whether the good parts of living in America outweigh the dangers.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)

Chinese people perceive America as a dangerous place to live, and rightly so I think. They widely accept that the environment is cleaner and that there are government controls to deal with the population more fairly. There are trade-offs with living in the US; things that most Americans accept as a way of life. Things like being careful when you walk the streets at night, being careful not to piss off crazy drivers on the highway, watching whether someone is following you to your car after you shop at a mall, avoiding walking or driving in known bad neighborhoods. The list can go on, and on. Everyone must decide on their own whether the good parts of living in America outweigh the dangers.

...isolated instances that are widely publicized while things like that occur in China and other places without fanfare.

Pick your poison... stay in China and risk a slow death from pollution or take your chances of being blown away in America by some crazy with an AK47.

Who said there are any guarantees in life. :)

• Like 1
Guest ExChinaExpat

...isolated instances that are widely publicized while things like that occur in China and other places without fanfare.

Pick your poison... stay in China and risk a slow death from pollution or take your chances of being blown away in America by some crazy with an AK47.

Good point Dennis about guarantees in life. But, for sure the people of China and most other countries of the world need not worry about being harmed by violent people. Everyone knows that China censors any bad news in their country or tries to paint it as a positive. But, still, there is far more chance in the US to be harmed by violence. It's just the accepted way of life there.

I'll be moving back in a few weeks, so I made my choice despite these negatives. At least, for now.

Good point Dennis about guarantees in life. But, for sure the people of China and most other countries of the world need not worry about being harmed by violent people. Everyone knows that China censors any bad news in their country or tries to paint it as a positive. But, still, there is far more chance in the US to be harmed by violence. It's just the accepted way of life there.

I'll be moving back in a few weeks, so I made my choice despite these negatives. At least, for now.

Well, welcome home, Jesse. I hope that you find your life here more comfortable and that you don't start yearning for the good life you had back in China... :lol: or, at least, maybe your wanderlust allows you to settle in a place where you find some lasting peace and comfort. :)

Sorry to see you go, but best wishes on your return. I hope we can catch up with you sometime in the future.

I think the violence is over dramatized as is China's safety. A lot of it depends on where you live. I feel very safe here in Portland. My wife nor I have ever had a problem. She was however knocked down and robbed by some punks on a motorbike in Nanning though. China also has acts of terrorism. They just keep a lid on it where we over dramatize it here.

• Like 1

Wow Jesse...got to admit, my initial reaction to your returning to the states is....sorta sad.

Good luck with everything. You've had quite a ride.

tsap seui