Filing I-130 for my wife and 2 month old baby

Thanks Dan!

In some post here showing adding the divorce decree from both father and mother in the child's I-130. That is not necessary, right?

Yes Divorce certs need to be attached to child's petition.

Here is what the VJ guide says:

• Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • A copy of your birth certificate or U.S. passport
  • If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either:
    • your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
    • your U.S. passport
  • A copy of the child's birth certificate showing the child's name and the names of both parents
  • A copy of civil marriage certificate showing the names of both parents, or proof that a parent/child relationship exists or existed (if you are petitioning for a stepchild, your marriage to the child's parent must take place before the stepchild's 18th birthday)
  • A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that establish the termination of any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse
  • Fathers petitioning for a child born out of wedlock must provide evidence that a parent/child relationship exists or existed. For example, the child's birth certificate displaying the father's name, evidence showing that the father and child at some point lived together, or that the father held out the child as his own, or that he has made financial contributions in support of the child, or that in general his behavior evidenced genuine concern for and interest in the child. A blood test proving paternity may also be necessary.
  • If anyone's name has been legally changed (if it differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be submitted.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/childpet

I would also take a look at the VJ guide for spouse just to double check your package:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For USCIS send copies of everything and keep the originals, only thing original to send them are the forms, and perhaps cover letter.

I am ready to print out the I-130 pdf downloaded from USCIS web site.

One question: Does it matter if I print the I-130 at both side of paper or just one side of the paper?

They have no problems with single sided, however you you do decide to print both sides, for these forms is best to flip on the short side so that back side appears upside down.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/ShortSideFlip.jpg

(Note, should be "Portrait" NOT "Landscape" per my example here.)

When binding everything use a two hole punch on the short side at top, and use an ACCO fastener to hold the petition together.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/images_zpsc5a7b156.jpg

Learned this a while back, USCIS binds the files that way, so pre-binding that way just helps them a little.

I see. The same document will send to the NVC then the consular. They will have no trouble if I bind this way?

Correct, it is a standard binding, I did this way for each step of my wife's immigration, Visa, Adjustment, Removal, and Naturalization.

NVC stage you will scan and email documents to them.

For the check, should I staple it to the blank paper and punch two holes put into the same paper stack with the fastener?

I would pepper clip them to the cover letter, two petitions so two checks.

I filed all two petitions yesterday. Thank you so much for all the helps on our I-130 filing.

Now onto preparing the next step. From VJ site:

Pre-Interview Forms / Items:

1. Completed and signed OF-169. 2. Completed and signed Of-230 Part 1 and 2 forms. 3. I-864 Affidavit of Support Form along with past 3 year U.S tax returns (or transcripts) and any other financial documents required. 4. A copy of intending immigrants biographic page of passport(s) including expiration date. 5. Original or certified "long" birth certificate. * 6. Original adoption decree. (if applicable) 7. Marriage certificate. (if applicable) 8. Divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) (if applicable) 9. Police certificate(s) ** 10. Court and prison records.(if applicable) 11. Custody records. (if applicable) 12. Military records (if applicable)

Are all these documents sent to NVC would be similar as sending to USCIS, in copy not the original?

Any one knows Chinese Police certificate will valid for how long? When should I ask my wife to get the policy certificate? What about my baby daughter, would she needs the police certificate as well?

Thanks in advance!