Filing I-130 for my wife and 2 month old baby

Dan,

You had me start to think about doing filing myself.

The lawyer I contacted today saying their are doing the paper filing. Do you recommend to do the efiling? Will the efiling speed up the things a little bit? Because I have a baby, I need to file two I130. Will the cases be seperated if I do the e-filing?

Thanks!

There is no e-filing of the I-130, however after USCIS approves it and sends to NVC, there is an e-Process for China that will save a few months off this that allows NVC to send case to Guangzhou electronically avoiding a long customs delay.

Study: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/37703-i29fk3-changes-and-nvc-electronic-processing-for-i-130cr1/

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

You had me start to think about doing filing myself.

The lawyer I contacted today saying their are doing the paper filing. Do you recommend to do the efiling? Will the efiling speed up the things a little bit? Because I have a baby, I need to file two I130. Will the cases be seperated if I do the e-filing?

Thanks!

There is no e-filing of the I-130, however after USCIS approves it and sends to NVC, there is an e-Process for China that will save a few months off this that allows NVC to send case to Guangzhou electronically avoiding a long customs delay.

Study: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/37703-i29fk3-changes-and-nvc-electronic-processing-for-i-130cr1/

Dan,

If I file the I-130 myself, can I simply download the form from USCIS website filled it out or I have to call them asking them to send me the forms?

Dan,

If I file the I-130 myself, can I simply download the form from USCIS website filled it out or I have to call them asking them to send me the forms?

Yes you download all the forms, in fact if you download them, and use Adobe reader, you will be able to fill them out on your computer and then print them out compleated.

Forms you will need:

I-130

G-325A (One for you, one for your spouse to fill out, she could fill it out sign it scan it and email it to you, and you print it for the petition)no G-325A needed for child petition.

G-1145

I-485 is only for adjustment of status from non-immigrant to immigrant, for example a student attending a US college on a student visa marrys a US citizen and then files to adjust status to get a green card, in this case they would file I-485 and an I-130 to base adjustment on.

In your case you are filing a petition to get an immigrant visa, which results in an immigrant visa which gets green card after arrival in the states with no adjustment needed.

Got it.

According to the USCIS site for "Consular processing":

After I filed the I-130, when will I need to submit the "I-864, Affidavit of Support"?.

Once it is approved and send to the NVC, will NVC give me the instruction what the following steps (looks like still need to file more forms) including the one you mentioned the e-process for China?

Once USCIS approves the petitions and send to NVC you will send the I-864 to NVC when they request it, one for each visa.

The current state department web site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_5162.html

Does not include China Guangzhou as the consulate for the electronic process. I wonder if the polit program is ended for China?

Strange one, looks like something slipped with the website, but further searching of that site results in this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_5163.html

Anyway, I doubt they will drop this for Guangzhou.

The current state department web site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_5162.html

Does not include China Guangzhou as the consulate for the electronic process. I wonder if the polit program is ended for China?

Strange one, looks like something slipped with the website, but further searching of that site results in this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_5163.html

Anyway, I doubt they will drop this for Guangzhou.

Apparently some changes have been made on the State Dept web site just within the past couple of weeks.

The first site is for those consulates that REQUIRE electronic processing - the second is for OPTIONAL electronic processing. Not clear why they couldn't have combined the two, but that answer may lie in the linkages to the pages (which I haven't found yet).

There's also this, posted at the same time (March 22):

CHANGES TO PACKET SYSTEM FOR IMMIGRANT VISA PROCESSING

1. This message describes changes to the standard information packages used to communicate with immigrant visa applicants. Briefly put, the IV packet system is being eliminated in favor of a simpler system of standardized mailings and more explicit provision for the use of Internet and other electronic resources when appropriate. The procedural notes in 9 FAM Volume 42 dealing with immigrant visa processing have been revised to reflect these changes and will be updated in the next release of Inserts.

2. Although the IV packet system has served well for over forty years with relatively few changes, the ease with which information can now be maintained and shared electronically makes the linear, rationed approach to immigrant visa information less useful. The numbered packets, many of which are no longer used by consular sections and rarely seen by applicants, were also the source of some confusion. The numbered packet system has therefore been eliminated. Packets 1, 2, 2a and 3a no longer exist. Standardized information sheets should be used to respond to queries as discussed below. The old Packet 3 has now been renamed the "Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants." Packet 4 is referred to as the "Appointment Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants." Packet 4a, important as the mailing that initiates the termination process, is now referred to as the "Follow-Up Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants."

3. Automated consular systems will continue to refer to standard information packages by their old packet numbers for the time being.

4. The DSL series information sheets are obsolete and should no longer be used. Instead, information sheets identified by title and date have been drafted and are available on the CA Intranet by clicking on the "IV" link. These information sheets are referenced in the revised FAM notes, but copies of this information will no longer be maintained in the FAM. Instead, consular personnel should consider the text available on the Intranet site to be the definitive text.

Sounds like a few more steps toward going electronic.

Dan,

Yes you download all the forms, in fact if you download them, and use Adobe reader, you will be able to fill them out on your computer and then print them out compleated.

Forms you will need:

I-130

G-325A (One for you, one for your spouse to fill out, she could fill it out sign it scan it and email it to you, and you print it for the petition)no G-325A needed for child petition.

G-1145

I am taking your advise and filing the application myself.

I will submit two sets of I-130, one for my wife and one for my baby:

For my wife,

I-130 (with copy of all the required document), One photo of mine and one photo of my wife

two G-325A , one for me, one for my wife

G-1145 attached to this set.

For my baby:

I-130 (with only her notorized birth certificate), No photo

No G-325A

G-1145 attached to this set.

Could you please tell me if it is right? Anything missing? Only one photo for me and one for my wife, right?

Thank you!