China on the South China Seas

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. I wonder how/why the water seem blue and the skies so blue. The whole picture looks different then pictures of the waters off say the Jersey shore or off of Nantucket. Can't believe it because the water is different. It seems so tropical. What's up with that? How do they do that? Danb

PS: Didn't noticed much text with the photo's. Looked up where the islands are located. They are part of the Paracel Islands I think.

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. I wonder how/why the water seem blue and the skies so blue. The whole picture looks different then pictures of the waters off say the Jersey shore or off of Nantucket. Can't believe it because the water is different. It seems so tropical. What's up with that? How do they do that? Danb

PS: Didn't noticed much text with the photo's. Looked up where the islands are located. They are part of the Paracel Islands I think.

The South China Sea IS tropical. I've posted a few of our pictures from Hainan - http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/659-trip-to-hainan/

gallery_1846_659_60310.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From Reef to Biggest Island in the Spratlys, and China's not Done yet

spratlys-china-net.jpg?itok=KFwtDzMx

China has turned a strategically important reef into probably the biggest island in the Spratlys, Chinese scholars say, and the expansion is expected to continue.

Analysts said the continued expansion of Fiery Cross Reef, which China calls Yongshu Reef, is expected eventually to provide a vital outpost for Chinese military and civilian commercial activities in disputed areas of the South China Sea, many of which are closer to other claimants' coasts than to China's.

Claimant states such as the Philippines and Vietnam have protested against China's reclamation activities in the South China Sea.

Beijing has yet to openly admit its plans to artificially expand reefs in the sea into islands.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Yep - same one

US asks China to stop building Spratlys island which could host airfield

philippines-china-maritime-diplomacy-mil

The vast land reclamation project on the Fiery Cross Reef in the Spratly Islands, known in China as Yongshu Reef, is one of several pursued by China but the first that could accommodate an airstrip, Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Pool said.

“It appears that’s what they’re working toward,” Pool told AFP.

A harbour also has been dug out on the east side of the reef that appears large enough for tankers and naval warships.

The United States wants China to halt the project and for other governments to cease similar efforts.

“We urge China to stop its land reclamation program, and engage in diplomatic initiatives to encourage all sides to restrain themselves in these sorts of activities,” Pool said.

In the past three months, China has used dredgers to construct an island about 3,000 metres long and 200-300 metres wide on the reef, which was previously under water, according to a report by IHS Jane’s Defence.

"The wall" responds - Yongshu Reef project not a concern of US

The US is not a claimant of the South China Sea. China does not support any intervention by external countries in disputes in the South China Sea. The US is even more unwelcome when it acts selfishly. China's construction on the Yongshu Reef will not be affected by US words.

The Yongshu Reef is China's territory and is under actual control of China. Due to the existing competition in the South China Sea, Vietnam and the Philippines are expected to make a mountain out of a molehill, yet they should still restrain their stances.

The Yongshu Reef is becoming a big island, which shows China's prominent construction capabilities. More importantly, it is worth noting that China's projects have avoided direct conflicts with Vietnam and the Philippines. It shows that China cherishes peace in the South China Sea. China will not take the initiative to compete with Vietnam and the Philippines to get the land by force, although China occupies an advantageous military position in the South China Sea.

I recall a long long time ago when folks were very confrontational on this forum that I had a fairly strong confrontation with a long ago member about this very thing. His argument was that China HAD NEVER in history bothered or coerced any other country in the world and that only America was the major aggressor in the world. Well when a tiger has no teeth that would hold true but when he gets teeth HE WILL show them to you over a bone. I am afraid that it will only get worse unless something dramatic happens to China's economy. My feelings are that the worlds manufacturing industries are going to move to Africa. China, themselves are already quietly setting up in Africa.

"China, themselves are already quietly setting up in Africa." I just read that a Chinese business man is going to build a canal between the Pacific and Atlantic ocean in Nicaragua. Cost 50 billions dollars. The Chinese these days seem to be spreading their influence all over the world not just Africa.

Talking about: " The Yongshu Reef is China's territory and is under actual control of China. Due to the existing competition in the South China Sea, Vietnam and the Philippines are expected to make a mountain out of a molehill, yet they should still restrain their stances." It seems as the molehill that they should b talking about is the underwater reef in the comment, " In the past three months, China has used dredgers to construct an island about 3,000 metres long and 200-300 metres wide on the reef, which was previously under water, according to a report by IHS Jane’s Defence."

I do have to admit the even though we are a member of SEATO and we do have obligations to that part of Asia that I can see some of the reasons that China would like us to butt out of the affairs of that region. Perhaps one sometime understandable reason is because of their xenophobic feelings towards foreigners and outsiders. Danb

• Like 1

"China, themselves are already quietly setting up in Africa." I just read that a Chinese business man is going to build a canal between the Pacific and Atlantic ocean in Nicaragua. Cost 50 billions dollars. The Chinese these days seem to be spreading their influence all over the world not just Africa.

Talking about: " The Yongshu Reef is China's territory and is under actual control of China. Due to the existing competition in the South China Sea, Vietnam and the Philippines are expected to make a mountain out of a molehill, yet they should still restrain their stances." It seems as the molehill that they should b talking about is the underwater reef in the comment, " In the past three months, China has used dredgers to construct an island about 3,000 metres long and 200-300 metres wide on the reef, which was previously under water, according to a report by IHS Jane’s Defence."

I do have to admit the even though we are a member of SEATO and we do have obligations to that part of Asia that I can see some of the reasons that China would like us to butt out of the affairs of that region. Perhaps one sometime understandable reason is because of their xenophobic feelings towards foreigners and outsiders. Danb

I think China's picture of "bilateral negotiations", though, is more like having the other countries stroll into a bank-like building one-by-one to approach a teller behind a bullet-proof glass window, who asks, "How may we help you today?". That is, "How can we assist you in the use of our territory?"

China simply takes it as a given that they OWN the entire area delimited by their "Nine-dashed line".

I have a friend who often says( especially during union contract negotiations) about management that: " it is important to hear what the company is saying but it is even more to watch where their feet are a going.!" There is a lot of truth to what he is trying to say. The problem that I have is that it is hard for me to see the direction that them there feet are going. It is especially difficult to get a clear picture of what is going on when I try to get a good picture...when I read western, US, Asian, and China news. Everyone puts their spin on the subjects. The US is just as guilty of spin doctoring if not more than Chinese news organizations are. I have high hopes for China and her people about the direction they are taking but some of the signs of the directions they are taking can be disturbing or questionable. It does seem that they are taking/ seeking more of a global position in the world. I am hoping that all the little feet are heading in a peaceful and prosperous direction. Danb

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

from the People's Daily

China has no intention of 'kicking the U.S. out of Asia'

China welcomes the U.S. desire to play a role in Asia and make a positive contribution to Asian development. But the U.S. needs to engage in a little introspection about its policies towards China and Asia, rather than simply treating China as yet another potential rival. Trying to constrain China's management of Chinese issues around the shores of China by strengthening the U.S. relationship with its local allies is unlikely to bring any positive benefits to the U.S. or anyone else.

The article is edited and translated from《要被赶出亚洲?美国人多虑了》, source: People's Daily, author: Jia Xiudong

from the People's Daily

China has no intention of 'kicking the U.S. out of Asia'

China welcomes the U.S. desire to play a role in Asia and make a positive contribution to Asian development. But the U.S. needs to engage in a little introspection about its policies towards China and Asia, rather than simply treating China as yet another potential rival. Trying to constrain China's management of Chinese issues around the shores of China by strengthening the U.S. relationship with its local allies is unlikely to bring any positive benefits to the U.S. or anyone else.

The article is edited and translated from《要被赶出亚洲?美国人多虑了》, source: People's Daily, author: Jia Xiudong

AMEN to the author AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

from the WSJ and Marketwatch

U.S. military proposes challenge to China Sea claims

MW-DL863_southc_20150512172242_ZH.jpg?uu

The U.S. military is considering using aircraft and Navy ships to directly contest Chinese territorial claims to a chain of rapidly expanding artificial islands, U.S. officials said, in a move that would raise the stakes in a regional showdown over who controls disputed waters in the South China Sea.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter has asked his staff to look at options that include flying Navy surveillance aircraft over the islands and sending U.S. naval ships to well within 12 nautical miles of reefs that have been built up and claimed by the Chinese in an area known as the Spratly Islands.

. . .

If the U.S. challenges China’s claims using ships or naval vessels and Beijing stands its ground, the result could escalate tensions in the region, with increasing pressure on both sides to flex military muscle in the disputed waters.

Read an expanded version of this article at WSJ.com. (subscription only)