International Women's Day in China

The importance, or not, of International Women's Day in China

Six local ladies discuss the impact of March 8, International Women's Day and a Chinese national holiday, on their lives

We’ve often wondered how many Chinese women celebrate International Women’s Day as anything more than a half day of work. Though many companies reward their female employees with time off or gifts on March 8, celebrations of San Ba Fu Nu Jie are low-key, even if it is a national holiday.

Adding to the holiday confusion, the pronunciation of March 8 in Chinese, “san ba”, sounds exactly like a slur word to describe nosy, gossipy women. It’s an unfortunate coincidence that has given this holiday a bad rap.

So, is International Women’s Day the Chinese equivalent of our President’s day, a holiday that is mostly meaningful because you get a day off work? Or do the women of China, often seen as equal to men, celebrate it with more significance? We took to the streets to find out.

Name: Jasmine Chen
Native of: Liaoning
Profession: Jazz vocalist/pianist

CNNGo: Is International Women's Day important to Chinese women?

Jasmine Chen:
Yes, because it has symbolic significance.

CNNGo: Do you think Chinese women are seen as equal to men in China?

Jasmine Chen:
In big cities, women are quite equal to men. But in the countryside, men have higher status then women.

CNNGo: How has the social status of Chinese women changed from your grandmother’s to your mother’s generation and to yours?

Jasmine Chen:
In my grandmother’s generation, women had little power. From my mom’s generation, they had the ability to make many more decisions. Still, when it came to choosing careers and husbands, men always had the final say. But I get to make all the decisions in my life.

Actually I didn’t want to be a nu qiang ren [a 'superwoman': a woman who is independent and successful in her career but still single], I wanted to be with a superman, but since that hasn’t happened yet, I’ve been forced to be this strong!

CNNGo: Is there a limit to what Chinese women can do?

Jasmine Chen:
No. It’s about how hard you can work, not gender or race.

CNNGo: What do you plan to do on International Women's Day?

Jasmine Chen:
It’s my mother’s birthday, so we’ll go shopping and I’ll treat her to a nice dinner.

Name: Pan Tangxie
Native of: Shanghai
Profession: Government representative, Changning District

CNNGo: Is International Women's Day important to Chinese women?

Pan Tangxie:
Yes, there are not many other holidays that honor women. People are more respectful to [women] on that day.

CNNGo: Do you think Chinese women are seen as equal to men in China?

Pan Tangxie:
From an economic, family and political perspective, it’s equal. That’s especially true for Shanghai. We joke that women here are lifting two-thirds of the sky, while men are lifting one-third! But really, Shanghainese men are just very respectful and nice enough to give in to women’s wishes.

CNNGo: How has the social status of Chinese women changed from your grandmother’s to your mother’s generation and to yours?

Pan Tangxie:
Our grandmothers' generation of women had no power in society. When their husbands died, they had to listen to their sons. My mom’s generation basically was told that as women, they couldn’t compare to men. Now the education is different. If it’s not that women and men are equal, it’s that we are better! To us [shanghainese] having a girl is a very happy event -- they are more cute and obedient. Who needs naughty boys?

CNNGo: Is there a limit to what Chinese women can do?

Pan Tangxie:
There is a limit on what anyone can do, whether they are men or women.

Pan Tangxie:
I’ll be off to KTV and a nice dinner with my colleagues.

Name: “Xiao Pengke” (Little Punk)
Native of: Jiangxi
Profession: Rock star, vocalist of Boys Climbing Ropes

CNNGo: Do you think International Women's Day is important to Chinese women?

Little Punk:
Symbolically, yes. But it mattered to me more when I was in school, when we got half days off. Back then we were filled with gratitude to every woman in China!

CNNGo: Are Chinese women seen as equal to men in China?

Little Punk:
How can you measure something like equality? You really can’t. But I have a theory that the more people get along in one place, the more equal the people are. So I’d say men and women are pretty equal in Shanghai.

Little Punk:
I’m certain that the women of my parents and my grandparents’ generations were happier than mine. Many things were arranged for them, but now, every woman has to make her own choices and find her own way in the world.

CNNGo: Who wears the pants in Chinese relationships?

Little Punk:
The person who is less attached of course! It doesn't have anything to do with gender.

Little Punk:
Work.

Name: Kiki Qi
Native of: Shanghai
Profession: Waitress at Issimo

Kiki Qi:
Yes it is very important. I remember, when I was a kid, my mom’s danwei [work unit] would give her a day off and a present just for her, even though, at that time, nobody had much to share. That never happened during Chinese New Year or other holidays.

CNNGo: Are Chinese women seen as equal to men in this society?

Kiki Qi:
I can’t say so for all women, but for me personally, I never look down at myself in comparison to men. I think it is because my parents didn’t try to raise me to fit in with other girls, they just taught me practical skills and how to be an honest person.

CNNGo: Who wears the pants in Chinese relationships?

Kiki Qi:
In Shanghai, it’s definitely the women. I got feedback from some male colleagues who come from other parts of China, and it seems that their girlfriends will buy shoes or gifts for them. But that would never happened in Shanghai. No way, men only give presents here.

Kiki Qi:
My grandma was very old-fashioned. She raised four children, had no job and was committed to spending the rest of her life with my grandpa no matter what. With my mom, when she saw my dad do something wrong, she would never say anything in front of the family so he could save face. But I’d never let a man keep me quiet like that!

Kiki Qi:
First of all, I’ll call one of my guy friends, mention that it is International Women’s Day and drop a hint that I deserve something!

Name: Yang Jingyi
Native of: Shanghai, China
Profession: Elementary school teacher

Yang Jingyi:
Yes, of course.

CNNGo: Are Chinese women seen as equal to men in China?

Yang Jingyi:
There’s still a difference. I feel that men can find jobs more easily. In the countryside, women are just there to support men, but in the big cities, it is closer to equal.

Yang Jingyi:
You have to talk about women's status in terms of before and after the Cultural Revolution. From my grandma’s generation (pre-CR) to my mother’s generation (post-CR), women gained a lot more decision-making ability. In these modern times, females are more and more valued by society.

Yang Jingyi:
I plan to enjoy myself, watch a movie and do a little shopping around the neighborhood with my co-workers.

Name: Wang Lili
Native of: Henan
Profession: Novelist

Wang Lili:
No.

CNNGo: Do you think the image of Shanghainese women as dominant over their men is a good or a bad thing?

Wang Lili:
It’s not good, but at the same time, it makes Shanghai one of best places for Chinese women to live in. Shanghai is a city for women, but, as everybody knows, women in Shanghai are not really friendly.

Wang Lili:
My grandma and my mom lived in the countryside, as I did before. But now I live in a global village. They couldn’t choose their husbands, but they got good husbands by accident. I can find a husband from anywhere in the world, but I haven’t got one so far.

Wang Lili:
What I’ve been doing every day: feed my stomach with good, home-cooked food, feed my eyes with green trees and plants, feed my nose with the fabulous smell of flowers in the city’s free parks, feed my ears with music, give myself a massage and request a deep sleep from the God of sleep.

http://travel.cnn.com/shanghai/none/stoked-san-ba-chinese-women-international-womens-day-244829

I'm taking my girl and her mother to dinner.

We already celebrated the western version of "international women's day" , we call it St. Valentine's Day. After that, comes Mother's Day if our lovely ladies have children. (and don't say anything about Father's Day, it usually is an after thought lumped in with graduations.) I'll concider this when there is an "international men's day".

We already celebrated the western version of "international women's day" , we call it St. Valentine's Day. After that, comes Mother's Day if our lovely ladies have children. (and don't say anything about Father's Day, it usually is an after thought lumped in with graduations.) I'll concider this when there is an "international men's day".

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The Chinese have a Valentine's day in August and many of them also celebrate it on the western world's date too. That is more of a couple's individual love/romance day (like sweetest day) rather an international day of women in general.

"In different regions the focus of the celebrations ranges from general celebration of respect, appreciation and love towards women to a celebration for women's economic, political and social achievements... In other regions, however, the original political and human rights theme designated by the United Nations runs strong, and political and social awareness of the struggles of women worldwide are brought out and examined in a hopeful manner." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women%27s_Day

I guess it is a day for we men to express to women that we know of their struggles, respect how far they have come and how much we support them in every way going forward.

BTW, there is an international men's day... "... focusing on men's and boys' health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. It is an occasion to highlight discrimination against men and boys and to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular for their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care. The broader and ultimate aim of the event is to promote basic humanitarian values." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

[although some may say that every day is men's day in this male-dominated world] ;)