New U.S. Visa Procedures

. . . with a caveat

New US visa procedures to help reduce waiting times

from the Global Times -

A new, simpler and less costly visa system for non-immigrant visas to the US will be launched in China on March 16, the US ambassador to China, Gary Locke, announced Wednesday.

An online reservation system will help streamline procedures and allow applicants to quickly register for an interview rather than having to reserve a time over the telephone. The application fee will be reduced by 86 yuan ($13.7) and will cost $160.

The system targets Chinese tourists, students and business people and aims to facilitate exchanges between the two countries, improve bilateral relations, economic development and cultural understanding, said Locke.

. . .

Liu said that the softening of visa application procedures for temporary visits is not likely to result in easier provisions for people seeking a green card allowing them to live and work in the US.

On the consulate's web site - http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/new-process-for-u.s.-visa-applications.html

Beginning March 16, applicants will only pay the existing, unchanged, visa processing fee of $160 for most nonimmigrant visa types. Previously, in addition to the processing fee, applicants faced additional costs for scheduling appointments and arranging for the return of their passports.

Applicants will have the option to pay online using any debit card issued in China or a credit card issued abroad. Applicants will also be able to pay with a Union Pay ATM card at any CITIC automatic teller machine, or in cash at any CITIC Bank branch.

I hope this will make it very easy for my Wife's sisters to apply for a tourists Visa .

Thanks for posting this Keep us all updated

MS

• 3 weeks later...

How Easy is it for my Wife's Daughter and Granddaughter get a visa ( Granddaughter is 8 )