Life in the City That Never Sleeps

Feathers268

Now that we have been here in Flushing for a few months, here are some thoughts about life in the big city.

First off, Day to day life in Flushing, you can almost forget you are in NYC. It is only an occasional glimpse of the Empire State Building ore Freedom Tower off in the distance the can remind you. Also, the local media helps you remember as well. Living in California, there was a perception than New Yorkers believed they were the center of the universe. Living here now, I can say that is true. They do believe they are the center of the universe. I have to laugh when I hear things like NYC truly is Middle America, or how Washington might be the capital of the US, but NYC is the capital of the world. Really? And the other perception is true as well. Of all the paces I have been in the US, NYC drivers are by far the worst. Here in Flushing you throw in the fact that most of the drivers probably learned to drive in China or Korea and well…

Now as Panda tours starts research for places to see here, one place you can scratch off the “must see” list is Rockefeller Center. I took Jen down there on New Year’s Day to see the big tree. (Local media states it is a must see at Christmas time) Both of us had the same thought, “that’s it?” Times Square is a much better bet. Once you figure it out, the subway is a wonderful way to get around. Just watch out for crazy people. They seem to like to push folks onto the tracks when you stand too close.

Now back to Flushing, the food here is outstanding. The combination of Chinese and Korean places is real good. I have some leads on finding the great pizza places around, but that makes for traveling to the Bronx or Brooklyn. Here in Flushing, NYC could easily fund the government by simply putting police on the corners of the intersections on Main Street and hand out tickets for J-walking. I have not seen such blatant ignoring of walk signals since, well, China. But then, I’ve almost been hit a few times by MTA busses while walking with a walk signal. But I can’t knock the city. They have important work to do like protecting New Yorkers from the evil Big Gulp. I hope I don’t cross the political line here, but it seems so silly to me that as of March, most places will be banned from serving a soda over 16 ounces, while you can find a Dunkin Doughnuts every 100 feet.

The last thing I’ll mention this time around, I’m not sure if this is a cultural, thing or a city thing, or a youth thing. When I was in the sixth grade, I, like so many children, entered the world of wearing prescription glasses. In the years that followed, I lived through all of the usual taunting that goes with the glasses. Imagine my surprise, when I start seeing younger girls wearing glasses, with no lenses. Did I miss something? Are glasses now so cool that young folk desire to wear them even when they don’t need them? I even saw a girl wearing contacts to color her eyes, and then frames with no lenses. Oh well, maybe I’m getting to the point when I have to start saying things like, “kids these days.”

Well before I ramble on further, I must go. There are things to do and more observations to make. In all, I think the move east will turn out to be a good one for Jen and I. We are still adjusting, but in the end, I think we will do fine here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Jim. Sounds like you're settling in nicely. For those who haven't had Jim and Jen as tour guides you're missing a real treat. Bing and I enjoyed their company a few years ago in San Francisco. A nicer couple you would never meet.

Speaking of San Francisco I see your beloved 49ers won last night. I'm more of a Green Bay fan but so far none of the playoffs have gone my way. Of course my 2nd favorite team is anyone playing The Patriots.

I really enjoy your posts Jim. Keep them coming.

Great to see things are wormin' out for you guys Jim. I was wondering how things were working out.

I've only been into the city a few times in my life but we have plans to take a bus from out here in the sticks back in for a day tour or take one of the super buses in and stay for a night or two and catch some jazz clubs or shows along with the sight seeing. I doubt that will be until this fall as the dynamic duo is leaving in late May for a trip home then, I"ll catch up with them at some point and we'll come home early September for our sons last year of high school.

When we make plans I'll pm you or something and see if we can get our schedules together to meet you guys somewhere for a couple of hours of laughter and maybe a meal. I used to like to eat at Momma Leonies but I fear it closed down years ago.

Anyhow, really nice to see you both fitting in to the new lifestyle....and yes, like it or not, you are at the center of the entire world. Don't believe me, just ask any of them city slickers with the funny tawkin' yankee accents....lol

tsap seui

I've been there a few times. Her misses the statue of liberty was still closed then, but the tour boat got us some pics. The main thing that sticks out to me is the age of the place and the narrow streets, like everything back East. Times Square isn't as lit up as Beijing, but it is the biggest place we've got. The Stock market is weird, and very protected. The water ways and bridges cool. It was easier to drive around in than I imagined.

Ah! Brings back memories. Took the wife there a few times when we lived just over an hour from NYC.

The original China Town of NYC is in Manhattan on Canal Street. If you have not been there yet it is worth a trip as it is much bigger then the one in Flushing.

My wife had the same reaction to the Rockefeller Christmas tree.....Big tree, lot lights big deal :(.

If you decide to go to a Broadway show there is a ticket booth in Times Square that sells discounted tickets for same day shows. I have said it before but I will repeat it, for those of us whose spouses had limited English skills when we first met, the show Chinglish wil split you up and bring back memories.

Another thing to do in Manhattan is a trip to the original Macy's store It still has the wooden escalators.

If any one is planning on staying the night in NYC we have used Priceline a few times (name your price) for hotels in Times Square and they were able to get us a room at the Sheraton for under a $100.

And oh yes, anything above 125 th street is Upstate. :victory:

It is so nice to get such feedback on my little story. Drop a line any time Tsap. If we're around we'd be happy to hop across the river for the day. Back in the day I started a little thread to get the ball rollin for a get together in sunny California. Not only did it take on a life of its own, be Jen and I found some very good friends to the point that it was worth driving over 6 hours to LA a few times. Perhaps we might soon try to get the Tri-state residents to unite. We can even throw in Penn. and parts north if folks are interested.

Oh, I was handed a mission from a friend to find the BEST pizza in NYC. Suggestions?

BEST pizza in NYC?! fugetaboutit, its lombardi's pizza at http://www.firstpizza.com/

deli sandwich is katz's on the lower east side, http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

soup dumplings is joe's shanghai in ny chinatown, http://www.joeshanghairestaurants.com/location_eng.html

steak is old homestead in west village, http://www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/ or peter luger in williamburg nyc, http://www.peterluger.com/

hotpot is shanghai tide in flushing, http://www.yelp.com/biz/shanghai-tide-flushing

jim, please note that nyc chinatowns has expanded to other boroughs, such as flushing and brooklyn. you can find brooklyn chinatowns on 8th ave (bigger in size) and bensonhurst (small size).

are you into chinese buffet? we have those too!

you may want to check out canal street where they sell counterfeit goods (watches, bags, perfumes and more)

any questions, except broadway shows, not a fan, please feel free to ask about nyc, my kind of town. :happydance:

note, chinese new year is on 2/10 so keep an out out for flushing and nyc chinatown's parades.

the frames without lens started in japan and spread accross hong kong, china, korea then to usa. its strange but you get use to it. color contact lens were like 2 decades ago. i remember my ex-girlfriend was wearing blue contact lens. its a youth thing.

did you see young boys, even adults sometimes, wearing their jeans halfway down their butts? you may even see them without their shoelaces on their shoes or sneakers. the idea is to give an impression of being in jail or holding cell. you are asked to take off your belt and shoelaces to prevent hanging yourself while you in jail.

the fads that young youths follow today needs some understanding, good luck.