How many people that post in EX-Pats are ex-pats and live in China?

Fu Lai

I am only an expat wann-a-be .

We will be back to China in March for a while but180 days a year is our limit to visit :)

Really?

zhen de, all 3 parts.

wanna-be, because my heart is home when we are there.

March, because it is as soon as my wife can get off work, and she says it is not safe for the marriage for a foreign devil to be alone in china.

180 days, because after that I have to pay China taxes.

I am only an expat wann-a-be .

We will be back to China in March for a while but180 days a year is our limit to visit :)

Really?

zhen de, all 3 parts.

wanna-be, because my heart is home when we are there.

March, because it is as soon as my wife can get off work, and she says it is not safe for the marriage for a foreign devil to be alone in china.

180 days, because after that I have to pay China taxes.

pay Chinese taxes? I don't get that part but all the rest... yep.

pay Chinese taxes? I don't get that part but all the rest... yep.

I work from where ever we live, but if I work in China for more than half the year I have to pay Chinese tax rate to China government.

(35% China vs 20% US)

There are other 6 month issues. Wife's green card is best we dont stay out of USA more than 6 months.

All-in-all it is best to stay in USA at least 6 months of each year until we decide to return home permanently.

I don't post in that forum, and not an expat, but a half-ass wanna-be. I have averaged one week per month the past 5-6 months. Ifn the lady had not stopped me, I would be there today, the 13th. Her birthday. Now she regrets she stopped me. But that is OK. If I keep my cool I can get 2 trips out of the miles I have on Delta already.

I get up in Changzhou City. There isn't much, well there isn't anything, well yes there is one thing I don't like about China, Pudong airport. May it have an earthquake, split in 2, and slide into the ocean where it belongs. I suppose the foreigners in Beijing is not really China's fault. But what a smug bunch they are.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

I'm an expat up here in Beijing, and am a fairly frequent poster here on CFL. Been in Beijing since June 2010, probably will be returning back to the States for my first visit this September. Previously I also spent a year in Beijing from 2005-2006, and about 8 months in Guangzhou in 2008. Spending time in Sichuan with my lady all adds up to close to two months as well.

The U.S. is most definitely home, but I've had quite the adventure here in China, and love it. I've become fluent in Mandarin, am working as a translator, have tons of friends, and really have developed a complete life here on the other side of the planet.

Fu Lai: I seem to recall you're in Wuhan currently? I could be wrong. I'm probably going to be traveling there with a band either this March or April....looking forward to it!