Remembering Pearl Harbor December 7th, 1941

Thomas Promise

Today is Pearl Harbor Day December 7th. The Japanese Empire attacked the US Navy there serverly damaging our navy in the Pacific. The war ended 3 years 8 months later with the US victory over Japan.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s480x480/380812_445559292172187_853718454_n.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/kgu-honolulu-reports-live-on-dec-7-1941/2011/12/06/gIQApKq0aO_video.html

What a horror that must have been. A peaceful Sunday morning transformed into a hell of bombs and strafing runs. I sometimes think back to what it must have been like to live in America in those days as the whole world seemed to come unglued. To the credit of the U.S., went from being isolated to fighting a war with fronts in the Pacific, Southeast Asia, in Europe, and in Africa. Our ultimate victory is a real testament to the soldiers, sailors, and airmen on the one hand, and on the efforts and sacrifices on the home front.

I wonder if Americans today would cooperate in such an extent including rationing, curfews, and restrictions on most of what we take for granted to support a war. Todays wars are fought differently and the public gets outraged at losses regarded minor in WWII. The Roosevelt Administration had estimated that it would take thousands dying at Pearl Harbor to get Americans behind the war and a declaration from Congress. It is a day that lives in infamy for Americans. And now along with it we have 9/11.

I wonder if Americans today would cooperate in such an extent including rationing, curfews, and restrictions on most of what we take for granted to support a war.

I think we would granted the situation was the same. 9/11 was complicated by not having a very clear idea of who the enemy is where in 1941 the lines were clearly drawn with entire nations were concidered the enemy. When you see images of the Empire of Japan rolling over island after island or German tanks crashing through France doing what ever it takes to stop them is easier. Even in the age of TV and internet.

I wonder if Americans today would cooperate in such an extent including rationing, curfews, and restrictions on most of what we take for granted to support a war.

I think we would granted the situation was the same. 9/11 was complicated by not having a very clear idea of who the enemy is where in 1941 the lines were clearly drawn with entire nations were concidered the enemy. When you see images of the Empire of Japan rolling over island after island or German tanks crashing through France doing what ever it takes to stop them is easier. Even in the age of TV and internet.

I think it would be easy to unite the US, provided the responsible party was crystal clear. The US attitude was not too different from today in the years before the war. Thus, the reason why the US was isolated. We didn't really care who bombed the crap out of, invaded or massacred who as long as they left us alone. Everything was changed by Pearl Harbor. There are many who believe FDR let Pearl Harbor happen to not only thrust us into the war, but provide the much needed attitude that would unite this country in a common cause. I seriously doubt the US military was able to assist which such an elaborate plot. It is more likely the cause of military bureaucratic ineptness that kept us from having a defense in place. Our military and Heads of State could not fathom the idea Japan would attack us without provocation.

I did my part Dec 7. I went to a defense plant to help produce more advanced weapons. And yes I knew it was the anniversary. Boeing in St Louis, the old McDonald Air.

And yes 40 years since the moon and our toilets still overflow.