I've been given a Chinese name by her mama

My girl's mother had a surprise for me on the occasion of my first invite to her house for a family dinner. She stood and offered a toast and announced my Chinese name is "Fu Lai" meaning "good luck coming." It grabbed everyone there by surprise but I have been called Fu Lai ever since by the family.

Has anyone else had this done?

Personally I take it as a great compliment and answer to it proudly. My girl said later that it is also used as a dog's name :rotfl: but that the dog is a sign of vitality so there is nothing bad about it. :whistling:

So I will try to change my name here to Fu Lai (no dog jokes please!).

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

My girl's mother had a surprise for me on the occasion of my first invite to her house for a family dinner. She stood and offered a toast and announced my Chinese name is "Fu Lai" meaning "good luck coming." It grabbed everyone there by surprise but I have been called Fu Lai ever since by the family.

Has anyone else had this done?

Personally I take it as a great compliment and answer to it proudly. My girl said later that it is also used as a dog's name :rotfl: but that the dog is a sign of vitality so there is nothing bad about it. :whistling:

So I will try to change my name here to Fu Lai (no dog jokes please!).

You are lucky, my mother-in-law doesn't like me, so I don't visit her much.

To buy our first apartment together, I needed a Chinese name.

My wife translated the sounds of my English name to a Chinese name, but I hate it.

While watching a Chinese drama I decided jing ke 荆轲 was my hero, and that's the name I use when people ask me my Chinese name.

It gets lots of laughs, but I really like it and will use it when we go home.

Sniff...sniff....ma never gave me a nickname...for the first 6 years of knowin' the in-laws they called me lao wei, but about a month ago ma practiced real hard and finally said my American name. Just takes some time before I grow on ya, I reckon.

tsap seui

What part of NZed did you live in Fu Lai?

Sniff...sniff....ma never gave me a nickname...for the first 6 years of knowin' the in-laws they called me lao wei, but about a month ago ma practiced real hard and finally said my American name. Just takes some time before I grow on ya, I reckon.

tsap seui

I lived down by Wellington.

Congrats on your breakthrough with your actual name being said!!

BTW, ma did scrutinize me for a long before crumbling... I think it was the zero resistance I gave to the plan of her coming to live with us for her golden years. Heck, she is a spry woman in her 60s and a doctor to boot! Now she would like us to pop out a grandchild for her to help raise. :ph34r:

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

tsap seui

BTW, ma did scrutinize me for a long before crumbling... I think it was the zero resistance I gave to the plan of her coming to live with us for her golden years. Heck, she is a spry woman in her 60s and a doctor to boot! Now she would like us to pop out a grandchild for her to help raise. :ph34r:

Wellington.....I taught a few classes in Wellington, became very good friends with a couple in Upper Hutt. Would stay at their home and sit on their veranda and watch the shops in Wellington Harbor. Ex-wife and I, then by myself went over various times. Such a beautiful place both islands are....once with an Aussie couple we flew across the ditch from Brisbane, spent the night in Wellington, and caught the ferry out of Wellington down into Cook Strait and on to Picton on the southern island. Rented a car and took the drive of a lifetime through-out the magic of the southland. Took the chopper ride up over one of the glaciers in the southern Alps and sat on the snow field on the mountain peak.....in shorts no less. Incredible place, people, and country. Sat with my Upper Hutt mate in his boat somewhere in the north island, fishing and could look out across the view at a snow circled volcano rim with smoke lightly wafting out of it.

Damn, you're old name NZed got my mind going back to those days and those sights, both in NZed and Oz. My wife just yesterday told me, "we go China in 2013 and Australia in 2014, yes?". "Hell YES", sezs I. How I miss the people and the life in those two beautiful magical countries.....walk past the black stump in Oz and stomp a path in the wop wop on a wee tiki tour in the land of the long white cloud.....just one more time. And to land in Wellington's airport, with the houses on each side higher than the plane is on it's final....touch down, taxi a short way to the turnaround, look out the window and see just how short that runawy is, even for 737's. :rotfl:

It doesn't take me much to get started but what great memories your name started, thanks.

Good luck with the visa process and home buying. Before I married my wife I bought her a nice home in her city. It's paid for and not in my name in anyway.... I gave it to her as proof of my trust in her as my girlfriend, and my mate...besides...if we split up what the hell was I ever gonna do with it, and who was gonna send me any money from it's sale? :rotfl: Hope it works out for you guys. Enjoy the ride.

tsap seui

Funny, my whole time in NZ, I could never make my internal compos get in tune. I had to fight the fact that I was heading south from Upper Hutt to go to Wellington...backwards I was, the whole dang 3 month stretches I was there. Down under playing a game on my sense of direction.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

tsap seui

Wellington.....I taught a few classes in Wellington, became very good friends with a couple in Upper Hutt. Would stay at their home and sit on their veranda and watch the shops in Wellington Harbor. Ex-wife and I, then by myself went over various times. Such a beautiful place both islands are....once with an Aussie couple we flew across the ditch from Brisbane, spent the night in Wellington, and caught the ferry out of Wellington down into Cook Strait and on to Picton on the southern island. Rented a car and took the drive of a lifetime through-out the magic of the southland. Took the chopper ride up over one of the glaciers in the southern Alps and sat on the snow field on the mountain peak.....in shorts no less. Incredible place, people, and country. Sat with my Upper Hutt mate in his boat somewhere in the north island, fishing and could look out across the view at a snow circled volcano rim with smoke lightly wafting out of it.

Damn, you're old name NZed got my mind going back to those days and those sights, both in NZed and Oz. My wife just yesterday told me, "we go China in 2013 and Australia in 2014, yes?". "Hell YES", sezs I. How I miss the people and the life in those two beautiful magical countries.....walk past the black stump in Oz and stomp a path in the wop wop on a wee tiki tour in the land of the long white cloud.....just one more time. And to land in Wellington's airport, with the houses on each side higher than the plane is on it's final....touch down, taxi a short way to the turnaround, look out the window and see just how short that runawy is, even for 737's. :rotfl:

It doesn't take me much to get started but what great memories your name started, thanks.

Good luck with the visa process and home buying. Before I married my wife I bought her a nice home in her city. It's paid for and not in my name in anyway.... I gave it to her as proof of my trust in her as my girlfriend, and my mate...besides...if we split up what the hell was I ever gonna do with it, and who was gonna send me any money from it's sale? :rotfl: Hope it works out for you guys. Enjoy the ride.

tsap seui

Funny, my whole time in NZ, I could never make my internal compos get in tune. I had to fight the fact that I was heading south from Upper Hutt to go to Wellington...backwards I was, the whole dang 3 month stretches I was there. Down under playing a game on my sense of direction.

Lake Taopo we were fishing in on the north island, sulfur and steam bubbling out of the ground in an area by a small city nearby.. Those Maori names always did throw me for a loop, had an easier time with the Aboriginal names across the ditch for some reason. Then, I'm funny likey that thar. So cool to stay in locals I had met homes. They would take me to places they used to holiday at, so much better and personal than a tour bus.

I spent a lot of time up on Foxton Beach and the surrounding area. So pristine. I was all over the valleys there and on the mountains. NZed is so clean and rather desolate compared to the States. I have always had the country feeling in me despite being a city man. I've always wanted to retire on a ranch a half mile off the road, with a big porch. I will also be happy in a nice condo house 18 floors above the street. Same thing in a way. :)

tsap seui

Dang Tsap.....you mean ma ma or the lil rabbit never said "Sa bi ni donge qui zi" to you ....spelling is sure to be incorrect but is how it sounds to me when I hear it! :rotfl: