Affidavit of Single Status

Boy i thought i would never be posting in this forum again.
But I am.

Though this is not for me but for a friend.

It seams as though my sister in-law from Chongqing found a nice man just down the road form hong and i
here in Ohio.

We met her friend the other day and he is very nice and we think he would be great for my wife's sister.

Long story short, I said i would help with all the paper work.
They will be getting married in Chongqing and going the CR-1 route.

It has been over 6+ years since i did all this paper work and I'm sure many things have changed.
But for this post were talking about the (Affidavit of Single Status)
I have read Randy W post about this and I'm a bit confused where to start. ( Things have changed)

The I-130 and so on i should be able to figure, But i will have questions about that latter.

Right now any help about the Affidavit of Single Status would be great.

Mike

Two ways.

Stop at US Consulate in China and get one from US Citizen Services, fee is about $50

OR

Do it state side.

1. Get a cert from State where live
  2. Get it certified by the chinese consulate having jurisdiction over residence in the USA

Covered often: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44845-just-starting/page__view__findpost__p__589660

Better to do it in China, is easier and simpler.

Mike, I did mine back in 2005 so I'm not up to date but this is what I did and it worked. I filled out the online form from the consulate site (Houston) and said I'm single. I had that notarized. I then got a certified copy of my divorce decree. I sent both down to Austin so 1) the Secretary of State could affirm (certify) that the notary was a notary and 2) that the District clerk that certified my divorce decree was really the District clerk. Now I sent those down to the consulate and they issued a "Certificate of Marriageability".

Remember that anything that you get from your state office that is stapled, keep it stapled. When he gets the certificate from the consulate, keep it stapled. Make copies, scan all you want but don't break those staples.

Here's the skinny from the Houston Consulate.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

Both methods still work, and have been done within the last month or two by a couple of our members (one did it stateside, the other in China) - in the states, it can be done by mail, but will require two mailings (more time - one to the state Dept of State, one to a visa service, who will carry it to the consulate for you). Getting it done in China requires a single trip to the consulate.

The Chinese consulate in the U.S. requires that you or your representative apply in person (no mail directly to them).

Things change overnight Mike, but, when I got married in China in 2009 some of the Chinese marriage bureaus would not accept the single certificate done in America. They only wanted ones that had been done in the consulate in the particular provience you were getting married in. Your wife's sister may want to call up the marriage bureau where she intends to marry and get the word from them.

They will be who prepares the documents and will be the people to get your answer from. It will be an easy call for her and you will have the direct word from them. No need for guessing and hassling with getting it done in the states when it is so easy to do in China, should that be what they are looking for anyhow.

tsap seui

Thanks Guys!

Sorry it's been a LONG!! Time going down this route.

Dan, Seeing he will be going to Chongqing what would be the best (Consulate in China) to visit?

Yuanyang: Whats up buddy? Yes, It's been some time for me also and not up to date but it feels good helping my sister in-law.

This process is just getting started and I'll be back on CFL for quite some time now posting questions.

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Things change overnight Mike, but, when I got married in China in 2009 some of the Chinese marriage bureaus would not accept the single certificate done in America. They only wanted ones that had been done in the consulate in the particular provience you were getting married in. Your wife's sister may want to call up the marriage bureau where she intends to marry and get the word from them.

They will be who prepares the documents and will be the people to get your answer from. It will be an easy call for her and you will have the direct word from them. No need for guessing and hassling with getting it done in the states when it is so easy to do in China, should that be what they are looking for anyhow.

tsap seui

Thanks buddy,

Will after talking to the wife just now it seams as though we will be going to Chongqing here soon for the wedding.

With that being said we'll take care of the paper work there but just don't know what consulate to visit.

There is no consulate in Chongqing.

Both methods still work, and have been done within the last month or two by a couple of our members (one did it stateside, the other in China) - in the states, it can be done by mail, but will require two mailings (more time - one to the state Dept of State, one to a visa service, who will carry it to the consulate for you). Getting it done in China requires a single trip to the consulate.

The Chinese consulate in the U.S. requires that you or your representative apply in person (no mail directly to them).

Thanks Randy, Now this might also be an option for them go to a Chinese consulate in the U.S.

Seeing NY is just a hop and a skip next door to Ohio.

We even have friends that live there that could run the papers in for them.

Would that work?

Mike

I went through the process of getting an affidavit of single status last month. I tried to do it stateside. It might cheaper and faster where you are, but just getting the Secretary of State to certify the document took 5 weeks. With the initial notary cost and mailing my cost was $55.00. Trying to use a service to present it to the Chinese consulate would have cost me another $180.00. Believe it or not, that was the cheapest one I found. The cost to process an affidavit at the consulate would have been $60.00. Through my own stupidity, it was rejected and when I tried again, the consulate was in slowdown mode and wouldn't be able to process it for 7 working days. Since my flight left before then, I made an appointment at the US embassy in Beijing, paid my $50.00 dollars and was all set. We were married in Wuhan, Hubei Province. We checked with the marriage registry office in Wuhan and they said they would accept the affidavit from the embassy before I left the states just to make sure.

All in all, I found doing it in China to be much easier, quicker, and cost a lot less.

Thanks Randy, Now this might also be an option for them go to a Chinese consulate in the U.S.

Seeing NY is just a hop and a skip next door to Ohio.

We even have friends that live there that could run the papers in for them.

Would that work?

Mike

Yes - that's exactly what I did (Doug took our marriage certificate in for us when he got his single certificate). I sent Doug a check for $125 to cover all fees, but he said that was way too much (we still haven't reconciled that). He went to the Dept of State and the Consulate in person.

Depends on your own circumstances as to which (China vs. US) is easier and/or cheaper. For us, going to the Consulate in Guangzhou is a 24-hour trip.

I'm almost certain the consulate is in Chengdu (that's where Bo Xilai's police chief went when he needed asylum).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I went through the process of getting an affidavit of single status last month. I tried to do it stateside. It might cheaper and faster where you are, but just getting the Secretary of State to certify the document took 5 weeks. With the initial notary cost and mailing my cost was $55.00. Trying to use a service to present it to the Chinese consulate would have cost me another $180.00. Believe it or not, that was the cheapest one I found. The cost to process an affidavit at the consulate would have been $60.00. Through my own stupidity, it was rejected and when I tried again, the consulate was in slowdown mode and wouldn't be able to process it for 7 working days. Since my flight left before then, I made an appointment at the US embassy in Beijing, paid my $50.00 dollars and was all set. We were married in Wuhan, Hubei Province. We checked with the marriage registry office in Wuhan and they said they would accept the affidavit from the embassy before I left the states just to make sure.

All in all, I found doing it in China to be much easier, quicker, and cost a lot less.

Wow. What state? Texas I paid a nominal expedite fee (forgot the exact amount) and got the papers back via courier in 3 days.

I got married Chongqing. Your sister in law's fiance will need to go to the US Consulate in Chengdu. He will need his passport and her Chinese ID card. The Consulate is on Lingshiguan Lu.

He will need to swear under oath that he is free to marry and intends to marry. The whole process takes about 15 minutes if they are not busy. Just wait in the lobby after you passed through security.

The Chinese party must wait outside however. Go there on a good weather day. The benches outside the consulate in Chengdu are not sheltered nor comfortable. You'll need to walk a block or so to the Consulate if a taxi is dropping you off there.

While out in Chengdu visit the panda sanctuary there. We did and it was quite fun. There is a high speed rail now from Chongqing to Chengdu that takes about 2 hours point to point.

If either had a previous marriage you will probably need documentation that it was finalized. I don't know as it didn't apply to us. Good luck.

Also while out in Chengdu try the Peking duck there. It's pretty good.

Edited by cjr818 (see edit history)

I got married Chongqing. Your sister in law's fiance will need to go to the US Consulate in Chengdu. He will need his passport and her Chinese ID card. The Consulate is on Lingshiguan Lu.

He will need to swear under oath that he is free to marry and intends to marry. The whole process takes about 15 minutes if they are not busy. Just wait in the lobby after you passed through security.

The Chinese party must wait outside however. Go there on a good weather day. The benches outside the consulate in Chengdu are not sheltered nor comfortable. You'll need to walk a block or so to the Consulate if a taxi is dropping you off there.

While out in Chengdu visit the panda sanctuary there. We did and it was quite fun. There is a high speed rail now from Chongqing to Chengdu that takes about 2 hours point to point.

If either had a previous marriage you will probably need documentation that it was finalized. I don't know as it didn't apply to us. Good luck.

Also while out in Chengdu try the Peking duck there. It's pretty good.

Yes, Hong and I where married in Chongqing back in 06.

I remember the time and pain in the you know what getting the affidavit of single status here in Ohio.

My sister in-law travels to Chengdu very often and knows right where the US Consulate in Chengdu is at.

This seams to be to best route to go now days and I'll have my wife call her sister tonight and explain things.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later as things progress.

Mike