I have a question regarding the timeline. Working on a CR-1 visa for my wife (just received the form for affidavit of support today), but wondering if we can also apply for a tourist visa for her? I have my parents' 50th wedding anniversary in November, and looking through these posts, not sure if I can trust the timeline to go smoothly. Would she need to stay outside of the US during this process, or can we apply for a tourist visa simultaneously?

Thanks!

Sammy

I have a question regarding the timeline. Working on a CR-1 visa for my wife (just received the form for affidavit of support today), but wondering if we can also apply for a tourist visa for her? I have my parents' 50th wedding anniversary in November, and looking through these posts, not sure if I can trust the timeline to go smoothly. Would she need to stay outside of the US during this process, or can we apply for a tourist visa simultaneously?

Thanks!

Sammy

While you are free to file for a tourist visa, stay focused to your visa filing and forget any tourist ideas... It is very unlikely to get a tourist visa based on your filing for a visa. Stay focused on your visa path and don't add any unnecessary emotion to the entire process.

Here's another interesting question (for me, at least :) For the DS-3032 document, I'm in Beijing and am worried about listing this address for contact. Will simply leaving the email address be sufficient for this document?

Your leaving out a lot of information along this question trail.... how long will you be in Beijing?

Your DS-3032 should have the address and email of any correspondence. If you are doing the electronic filing then your email will get all messages but the address is where you'll get paper reciepts.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick feedback. Sorry, I live in Beijing, and plan on staying until the visa finishes for the wife.

I guess my question is this: will there be any documents that require signing that would go to the physical address? I could provide a US address, but again am worried about the time-sensitive nature of having my family send me these documents as I need them.

Another worrisome question: once we go through the process, would my wife be required to stay in the United States for the long term, or would she be able to travel back and forth as I currently do between China and the US? She and I both have family reasons to need the traveling options. Thanks in advance for any help!

Another worrisome question: once we go through the process, would my wife be required to stay in the United States for the long term, or would she be able to travel back and forth as I currently do between China and the US? She and I both have family reasons to need the traveling options. Thanks in advance for any help!

Information from USCIS that addresses your question: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Travel back and forth?

How much time does it look like will be out of the USA? If it looks like a green-card holder is not a permanent resident of the USA (living out of the country more than in the USA) they can revoke the green-card.

Thanks for the reply. I started the CR-1 visa for my wife because we are both planning to move back to the US eventually, but we could both theoretically stay in Beijing for another year at least with our respective jobs. My concern is that my wife would not be able to travel easily with me if I need to jump back for family reasons. Would it be better for me to delay the CR-1 process?

For reference, we've just been assigned our NVC case number.

Sorry for the confusion, but these job prospects are a recent development.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I started the CR-1 visa for my wife because we are both planning to move back to the US eventually, but we could both theoretically stay in Beijing for another year at least with our respective jobs. My concern is that my wife would not be able to travel easily with me if I need to jump back for family reasons. Would it be better for me to delay the CR-1 process?

For reference, we've just been assigned our NVC case number.

Sorry for the confusion, but these job prospects are a recent development.

Thanks!

Technically the Guangzhou consulate can hold a petition for up to one year after P3, you simply delay returning the P3 documents to the consulate (DS-230/OF-169) you can also send them an email requesting them to hold the case. http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html

One other bonus, is if you delay and interview and/or arrival into the USA on the visa happens after 2 years of marriage, the resulting visa/green-card will be IR-1 which is a 10 year green-card with NO conditions to file to remove two years after getting the green-card. Removal of conditions is an ADDED $590.

Thanks for the quick reply! Another quick one for you: with a CR-1 possibly on hold, would it be relatively easy for my wife to go through the usual visitor visa channels? She's traveled extensively, so not worried about that aspect of applying for the visa. Thinking more now about having two visas in the system simultaneously. Again, thanks for the feedback!

Between the trips, and the visas you're looking at a lot more than an Adjustment of Status would cost.

Consider instead using the CR/IR-1 for that purpose. She would need to use it once within six months (before it expires), and then one or two more trips over the next year would maintain the visa for that year, provided that she moves to the U.S. a year later. If you rely on being able to get a visitor's visa, there's a risk that it might be denied.

Once she first arrives in the U.S., get her an S.S. number, add her to any accounts you can easily add her to, and get her a U.S.-issued ID card. This will help prove her domicile if she's questioned at the POE.

This will not cause any problems for up to a year. After that, she should plan on moving permanently to the U.S.

Has anyone seen this situation before: CR-1 visa put on hold for reasons I've detailed above, but visitor visa denied because of the CR-1 nature? My wife had a B1-2 visa previously for business, so chances might be good (I hope?) If we end up staying in China for two more years, would this endanger the current CR-1 status, or would we need to apply again (with the additional charges involved?) Thanks again!