My wife has been in the US for about eight months and she is the best woman I have ever had a relationship with! We have difficulties like anyone does but other than that things are going great.

She came here on a CR-1 Visa. Now we would like to bring her 16 year old son here on I assume a IR-1 Visa. I have already submitted his I-130. Recently we recieived an RFE requesting a copy of the court document submitted to change his name. Now according to my wife that is not how it works in China. She said name changes go through the Police Department. But any records kept by the Police cannot be copied. So her ex went there and received a notarized or certified document that substantiates the name change.

My question is will that document satisfy the RFE? I am not so sure. I would have thought the USCIS having done this thousands of times would know there would not be any "court" document if name changes are done thought the Police.

Does anyone know what I "really" need to do?

Thanks a million!

One rule to follow about evidence is to send what you HAVE, and NOT send anything that you DON'T have.

It seems to me that this pretty well satisfies the Request, and should go through without any trouble. The USCIS handles applications from any country someone might be from, and can't really be expected to word the RFE's to cover each one.

Which name is on his Chinese ID and Passport? Why did he change his name?

His current name "Lu Tingjian" is on his Chinese ID and Passport. His name on his birth certifilcate is "Lu Kejian." My wife said it was changed as a family request. She said "Ke" means knife which could give his name a somewhat aggressive or violent connotation to his name. So his father changed his name in 2006. Lu Tingjian was about 10 years old then.

This is my third immigration process. I never had an RFE with the first two. Since this was my first RFE I was nervous about it since I figured no response or the wrong response could mean a denial or an unecessary delay in processing.

I realize that the USCIS has immigrants from many countries. I just thought China may have been one of the top countries for immigration and they would be aware of name changs procedures...my bad.

I have printed out what her ex sent and will mail it today....

Thanks Randy

Just realize that they ARE aware of the procedures in the different countries (most of which are covered in what they call "reciprocity tables"), and that the evidence you HAVE is PROBABLY the correct evidence for China - shouldn't be a problem.

China doesn't follow the Hague Convention, so procedures are a little different.