video chat on QQ

I'm living in the US and my fiancee is in Beijing. She is familiar with QQ so that is the platform we have been using to chat. We have no problem with instant messages. The problem is video chat. I'm able to see and hear her. However, using my webcam, she can't see or hear me. QQ's audio check indicates that my webcam's microphone is working but she is unable to hear me. If I use a headset microphone, she can hear me. I have skype and am able to use the same webcam to video chat with friends in Japan and across America with no problem. I don't believe that the issue is with the webcam itself or my video card in the computer.

Perhaps there is some setting on QQ which I'm missing. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help.

both of us use PC with Windows 7. when chatting, she often uses the qq mobile app on her phone.

I'm wondering if our text chat is out of the norm for folk here. Her English is very poor and my Chinese is much worse than that. Right now, I use google translate to write in Chinese. Check the google translation using Youdao and make corrections as needed. I then post the Chinese version into QQ. She replies in Chinese which I use the same translation programs to translate into English. I try to use the phonetic spelling that google gives to speak to her in Chinese when we video chat.

Sorry, I still have no answer on your original question about the QQ video glitch. Maybe now that we know your platforms someone else may have a clue.

When I chat text with non English speaking Chinese on mobile QQ (which does not have a translator), I too manually use Google translator for the initial English to Chinese translation, but I cross check on fanyi.baydu.com. Then I copy and paste them in the message window to send. For me the grammar differences between English and Chinese is the major rethink to get the meaning across using a computer translator.

This video is a good help with the differences in grammar:

The whole group of Yoyo Chinese lessons by Yang Yang Cheng are very good. Search them out on Youtube.

My wife and I took a slightly different approach - I sent my messages in English, and she sent hers in Chinese. That made it easier at my end to chop up a (Chinese) sentence (when I needed to) until it made sense, and the same at her end.

Whatever works best. And, yes - I still try to follow Chinese grammar (Chinglish) whenever I think it helps her understand.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)