Flying in October

Hey friends, Ling and I are planning our trip back to China in October. The best price we've found is through CheapOAir for $966 per round trip ticket, departing JFK, layover in Seoul for 4 1/2 hours, then arriving in Guangzhou. We considered flying into HK then taking a bus to Guangzhou, but I can't seem to get a good price. Anyone know or have any connections to get cheap tickets?

Now the wife and I are bickering about whether or not her passport will suffice as it has her maiden name on it. I'm saying that we book the tickets as her name appears on her passport. She's saying we have to change her passport. I'm saying she has her green card and paper stating her 10 year is in process. hmm...

I was once scheduled on an OZ flight JFK to Incheon. Err that flight was coming from Incheon to JFK. One of its engine failed in flight. The plane was grounded. Passengers were given a run around at JFK that the flight would take off shortly which it never did. The return flight to JFK there was a technical emergency and had to return to Anchorage after refueling there. Landed at JFK of course late missed my connecting onward flight to Boston. Was put in the Ramada which I got no rest went back to the airport to wait. All flights to Boston was cancelled due to fog. I ended up picking a rental and drove myself home.

Now the wife and I are bickering about whether or not her passport will suffice as it has her maiden name on it. I'm saying that we book the tickets as her name appears on her passport. She's saying we have to change her passport. I'm saying she has her green card and paper stating her 10 year is in process. hmm...

You are correct. Book flight tickets using passport name, no need to change name in passport.

My wife flew home to China 2 years ago for a couple months, tickets booked in passport name. She renewed the passport while over there, and new passport remained in maiden name, return ticket in maiden name. She had no issues with traveling with passport in maiden name and green-card showing married name either.

It is recommended to carry a photocopy of marriage cert to show how name changed.

Her most recent passport (US Citizen) now shows married name, so on future flights we will book her tickets in married name.

You need to book using her maiden name to match the passport and that is a great price to fly to China.

My wife was asked why her name in her passport was different than her greencard and she told them that she took her husband's name and offered to show them her marriage certificate for proof but they said that it was not necessary. No big deal.

• Like 1

You need to book using her maiden name to match the passport and that is a great price to fly to China.

My wife was asked why her name in her passport was different than her greencard and she told them that she took her husband's name and offered to show them her marriage certificate for proof but they said that it was not necessary. No big deal.

Some have had minor headaches at the Chinese airport when returning - if so, just call for a supervisor.

If you can easily get the AKA amendment for her married name to her Chinese passport, you may want to do so.

One word of caution, from your timeline you will be in removal of conditions around your planed trip, be aware there will be a biometrics AGAIN, hopefully this will be done before the trip. And more than likely they wont schedule and interview for a date when you are out of country. In most cases I-751 results in approval without interview.

Also there have been reports of issues when leaving China holding an expired 2 year green-card and just the extension letter showing status extended.

Best to schedule an info pass appointment after getting this letter, visit USCIS, explain concerns, and they should stamp passport with a 1 year I-551 stamp proving green-card status. The exit authorities in China seem to prefer the stamp over the I-751 extension letter.

Hopefully you filed the I-751 last month and already did the BIO by now, if not then get this ball rolling.

Dan, yes we have our biometrics appointment on July 31st (need to update my timeline). We have been waiting for that letter before we planned our trip. Good info on the stamp.. thanks! I will see about getting that done.