traveling with 1 year old

well, I am not sure this is the right area but,

My wife and I are planning a trip back to her relatives. That includes me and our 1 year old. Has anyone here done that before? I am a little bit concerned about traveling with such a young child. Also, we might be bringiing my sister and her 2 daughters on this trip.

I think we might try to spend some time in Bejing for basic tourism reasons and then travel to my wife's home town of zhengzhou.

I think my son will be off of formula by then or mostly by then anyway. Has anyone else had this experience?

Any tips or recommendations? I think when in bejing we all will try to hit the main tourist spots but we have to consider how the weather and crowdedness will factor in.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Not much advice about the 1 year old other than needing a passport, I believe DOS needs evidence of consent from both parents before they issue one, the same goes for sister's children if they don't have passports yet and are under age.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

My wife and I took our son to China this past January-February for the Spring Festival and he was about 11 months old at the time. I recommend that you call the airline and let them know that you will be traveling with an infant and would like to request a bassinet for the flight. Using one of the bassinets makes a big difference - my son slept in his for most of the flight. The bassinets can only be used on certain bulkhead rows, so they are very limited and need to be reserved well in advance. Before the flight, you can also request an infant meal for your son consisting of either baby food or formula (your choice).

As Dan has already mentioned you will need to get your son a passport and you will also need to get him a Chinese visa as well. I was able to get one of the 2 year multi-entry visas for my son without any trouble - just needed to send in a copy of his birth certificate and copies of my wife's Chinese passport information pages and green card with the visa application.

We also took a lot of baby food & formula with us - filled up one big suitcase and several carry-ons with it, as my wife does not trust the Chinese brands after the big fiasco with the tainted baby formula that happened a couple of years ago.

We've done this several times and it is no big problem. We use the Enfagrow-Powder as milk (includes the BPA etc) and all we did was fill up 7 or 8 bottes with the powder in the disposable insert liners - and put in Diaper Bag. No problem with TSA, and of course outside the US no one cares. When on the plane, they will bring hot-water/warm water at will, just pour in and presto - lunch is served.

You will need same travel documents for Child as you need for yourself - passport, visa, shot record, and in the case of an infant a copy of the birth certificate. (I never travel anywhere without a copy in my wallet). I also had our son's DNA taken and registered, will do fingerprints and FBI info when I return to Hawaii. Note: It makes a lot of sense to get an "International Shot Record" and have the shots transcribed at your Dr's office - the next time you're in for shots. I know our Hawaii schools/Dr Office one is essentially a plain piece of paper and doesn't even look official -- ergo the perception of having it in the International Shot Record record format (the Yellow one). When arriving in China - I always carry son through customs/entry and wife goes separately through Chinese line. I also have David say Ni Hao, and try to get him to sing Mo Li Hua (Jasmine Flower) which seems to relax the checker - not that I need to do it....just seems to calm me more than anything after a long flight.

Airlines: Usually - under 2, Infant in Lap/Arms is free, I notice that Foreign Airlines charge about 10% of the adult price for an "infant in Arms". Our David is now 29 months and I'm sorry to say - our last trip his cost was the same as an adult fare. Also note, you can buy infants a full fare seat and they get their own seat...but it seems to be an overkill to me since you hold them in your arms most of the way anyway. I also notice, as was outlined here - the fold down baby-beds are available if you book them, depending on airlines. We usually fly "Business Class" on all trips to China so there is not much demand for the infant beds. Our son won't sleep in them anyway - so I don't bother with that, although we tried it once, a dismal failure since he wouldn't stay in it. I also notice that on Foreign Carriers, they don't "fill up the" Business or First class with upgrades out fo coach - so usually it is pretty empty up front or on top in the case of 747's (JAL etc). Usually, after takeoff - we are sitting alone as most of the Adult Passengers have moved away to avoid the shrill conversations of a two year old, not to mention the occasional outburst. (our last trip on JAL 747 to Hawaii the 3 of us and 1 other couple had the entire upper floor to ourselves - 5 flight attendants took care of us)

What did we take with us? For our one month + trip we took a very large suitcase full of; His normal soap/lotion, 8 large cans of powdered formula, our "baby medical kit", extra topical, temperature, and infant cold remedies, Ma Tong cover, and the rest was filled with "diapers". I think my wife has finally agreed we can get cheaper better medicine in China - without a Dr's prescription, diapers are readily available at Metro, Carrefour or Wall Mart, and baby products - soap/lotion are basically the same as we can buy here - minus some of our favorite flavors (Vanilla Oatmeal). The powdered formula IS NOT available in any variety and I think it better to just carry it and be on the safe side. Our David eats in every resturant we eat in and seems to not know the difference between eating at home in the US or home in China. The same goes for the resturants when it comes to food. I think availability of western/Australian baby products might vary if one was not in a large city, but I don't know specifically. Our city, Xiamen, is pretty modern with all the foreign stores. (It does kill me to pay $5.00 US for a starbucks in Xiamen and $2.36US here in Lake Tahoe).

Trip itself: We use all the modern gadgets to pass the time. Our son, has owned his own IPAD2 since he was 19 months old. He has tons of movies on it that I ripped, downloaded, or bought via APPLE and Amazon, plus he has NETFLIX. I turn off tethering on my IPHONE, so he can't stream internet movies once we leave the US airspace, so what is on his machine is what he gets until we get to a starbucks or airport lounge. I usually will buy one or two NEW movies and load a couple of new games to keep him interested during the flight. We also go through his chinese lessons and he get's lots of practice with ABC's, Numbers, and phonics in both English and Chinese. (no wonder people don't want to sit next to us) So, I think these "activities" that one plans in advance can reduce some of the anxiety on long flights - because it is unrealistic to think they will sleep the entire flight. I think the longest I have seen our boy sleep is 5 hours which leaves a lot of quality acitivity time for Dad to keep him busy. BTW - I also check the stroller (BOB evolution) directly through to destination so I don't have to deal with it at stopover airports. Another note; I always have the movies and appls from his IPAD synched to my wife and my IPHONES, so that if for some reason he runs out of power - we have the small screen backup! Oh, I aslo carry my MacBook Pro in my backpack and that not only can "recharge" his IPAD it has all of his "STUFF" on it. Perhaps this all is overkill - what did we do without IPADS? Regardless, activities must be planned, and as they get older the planner gets harder - oh I yearn for the days when traveling with a 6 month old...milk, sleep, diaper --- !

Enjoy your trip all is good!!!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Dnoblett thanks, I forgot to mention that we just recently received his passport and will both request a visa at the same time. Kind of funny to see such a young child's picture with the passport :rotfl:

Thanks Eric, I have seen those child's bassinets in action when I was traveling but forgot about requesting them in advance.

2mike&jin, really some great advice! I never thought about fingerprints,DNA, immunization records, copy of birth certificate, etc. I just made our 1 year doctors appointment for our son so the timing was great!

I was thinking about how to entertain him during the flight and loading up some movies and childrens tv shows is a really good idea. Otherwise, I know he will try to climb everywhere! I don't have an ipad right now but have smartphone, laptop, etc. I might pick up a ipad just for the trip to play with.

We will need to take Delta Airlines and I don't think they allow infants in first class but I will double check that before we leave.

It seems a given that no one wants to use the local baby formula (my wife included). He might be partially off of formula by 1 year but we will plan on bringing a few containers of similac for our stay. Also, I think it's a good idea to bring the normal "remedies" that we use often as finding them might be difficult or impossible.

Trying to figure out wifi options once we land. I know our hotel/relatives house will have wifi but it would be really nice to have 3g options while there for our smartphones.

I normally just use or buy a sim card and have a local phone number, however I am not sure if I can add data service on a pre-paid basis. Has anyone tried this recently?

Thanks again!

When the plane is climbing in altitude and your baby has problems with the air pressure, you can give your baby a bottle to relieve the pressure on their ears. I have also heard that placing your hands over the baby's ears and gently pulling them away may help. Otherwise you may have a crying baby.

• Like 1

When the plane is climbing in altitude and your baby has problems with the air pressure, you can give your baby a bottle to relieve the pressure on their ears. I have also heard that placing your hands over the baby's ears and gently pulling them away may help. Otherwise you may have a crying baby.

Also more so when descending, for me ascending is not the problem seems the drop in pressure is fairly gradual, it is the decent and the pressure build up that is painful.

Has anyone trusted whole milk (not formula) in china? At 1 year old, the doctor has mentioned that we can introduce more milk instead of formula.

Also, has anyone tried to bring a car seat in china? In America I can't even imagine not having our son in a car seat but I can't ever remember seeing one in china.

Maybe the traffic moves so slow that it hardly matters....

Ok, we use "New Zealand" whole milk for our "cereal" in China - and it has never been a problem. Our David also will drink the "street vendor" Do Fu milk, but that is only a drink if we are out and about. We, haven't tried any "Chinese Dairy" products - only the NZ, Australia, European products we get in the Major Stores, Carrefour, Metro, or Wall Mart.

BTW - I'm not sure the timing would be right to change an emerging infant from formula to whole milk while being in China. The better part of valor might be to make the switch when you return....too many moving parts in my view.

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

There are stores that sell buffalo milk fresh daily - we buy it for my coffee and an extra bottle every day.

The grocery stores also sell ultra-pasteurized milk in cartons unrefrigerated (it keeps for months that way).

If you taste any added vanilla flavoring, don't drink it.

Thanks 2mike&jin, there is a carrefour near my wife's sister's place that I can remember going to. We should be able to find the items we need there. You might be right about switching over to milk. It's probably wise to focus on formula while we are there but having whole milk as an option is nice.

Thanks Randy W, I never thought of buffalo milk. Where would they be shipping that from? I have seen the milk in boxes all over and never really took the time to learn what was the difference. I actually had to look up "ultra-pasteurized"... I guess I am not much of a farmer ;-)

Thanks 2mike&jin, there is a carrefour near my wife's sister's place that I can remember going to. We should be able to find the items we need there. You might be right about switching over to milk. It's probably wise to focus on formula while we are there but having whole milk as an option is nice.

Thanks Randy W, I never thought of buffalo milk. Where would they be shipping that from? I have seen the milk in boxes all over and never really took the time to learn what was the difference. I actually had to look up "ultra-pasteurized"... I guess I am not much of a farmer ;-)

The buffalo milk is sold in stores that carry only that - it will only keep for 2 or 3 days (only a few hours after opening). There's probably a small store very close to just about anywhere. It is supposedly more nutritious than cow's milk, especially the boxed kind. I don't know about the distribution network, except that China is one place where you can still get daily home delivery.

They have different flavored versions of the boxed milk that are popular with pre-schoolers.

You may want to heed Mike's advice about making the switch when you return, though - I'm posting just for informational purposes.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

If your baby drinks cow's milk. You can see if your baby will drink Nestlé Nido. It's whole milk in powdered form so it will travel easily. I however haven't had any success with that for my baby. When we travel I bring Horizon 1% low fat milk for him. It doesn't need to be refrigerated.