Is it just me or have the arilines gone crazy?

Is it just me? Or has the airlines just gone crazy with there pricing? :o

We Where! :huh: planing to fly Chongqing late in june.

Last month for tickets for around 1200-1300 for this time frame.

Now that continental/United are one i now find the same tickets have gone up over a 1000$

It also seam as all the other airline are following suit.

I just can't see paying 5000 for two people round trip when we payed 2000 two years ago.

Just crazy.

No trip this year. AGAIN! :angry:

The price of fuel is outrageous. My wife bought a round trip ticket to Nanning for April last January for $1080.00. We debated waiting to see if the price would come down. I'm sure glad we didn't. The same ticket is $1882.00 now.

Need to shop some...

Just ran a price lookup for Chicago to Guangzhou RT April 4 RT April 25 (Picking Wed) $1100 on orbitz..

Pick mid week for flights, and flights from major airports, may save by driving to the major airport. Rent a car one-way to get there and back.

You might want to try www.cheapoair.com bought wife's ticket from orlando to shanghai for $700 after taxes.

You could also try flying into shanghai and then looking for a flight on www.ctrip.com from shanghai to chongqing.

I did a quick search on ctrip for flights in june, and the early bird special price with taxes is 610 RMB which equates to about $92 USD. So your looking at about $400 for 2 people roundtrip from shanghai to chongqing. So if you manage to get a flight to shanghai for $1000 each ( I imagine it is possible) That would put your whole trip at about $2400 for two, sounds like a good price to me! Good Luck!

Edited by Amaro (see edit history)

Hey Mike!!!

If you haven't already, check kayak.com. They search all of the fares and allow you to use flexible dates. Wednesdays do seem to be the best.

Hey buddy, Been there done that one already.

I'll keep looking for this is almost a must do trip.

3 years after hongs dad passed away.

I guess it's a must visit on the 3 year mark.

Thanks buddy.

You might want to try www.cheapoair.com bought wife's ticket from orlando to shanghai for $700 after taxes.

You could also try flying into shanghai and then looking for a flight on www.ctrip.com from shanghai to chongqing.

I did a quick search on ctrip for flights in june, and the early bird special price with taxes is 610 RMB which equates to about $92 USD. So your looking at about $400 for 2 people roundtrip from shanghai to chongqing. So if you manage to get a flight to shanghai for $1000 each ( I imagine it is possible) That would put your whole trip at about $2400 for two, sounds like a good price to me! Good Luck!

Now there's an idea!

I'll have to research that one.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike!!!

If you haven't already, check kayak.com. They search all of the fares and allow you to use flexible dates. Wednesdays do seem to be the best.

I've heard a lot about Kayak, but I haven't tried it, and I was considering looking into the Cheapoair air, as well. How long in advance would you suggest booking with Kayak? And is there a certain time of the day on Wednesdays that's better than others? (It'd just be nice to save as much as possible on airfare, especially with fuel prices so high)

Hey Mike!!!

I've heard a lot about Kayak, but I haven't tried it, and I was considering looking into the Cheapoair air, as well. How long in advance would you suggest booking with Kayak? And is there a certain time of the day on Wednesdays that's better than others? (It'd just be nice to save as much as possible on airfare, especially with fuel prices so high)

For cheapoair I have found booking > 3 weeks is best.

I agree that airlines have gone crazy as a shithouse rat and crookeder as a snake crawling up a hog wire fence...fees for extra bags, pay for your food, pay extra for a seat with more leg room and kiosks where you do the desk clerks job...where will it all end? So I thought it's time to cash in some Continental miles on our next trip to the PRC. I got the Lao po and I tickets from JAX to PEK and return for $79 and 260K miles.

:happydance: :happydance:

I agree that airlines have gone crazy as a shithouse rat and crookeder as a snake crawling up a hog wire fence...fees for extra bags, pay for your food, pay extra for a seat with more leg room and kiosks where you do the desk clerks job...where will it all end? So I thought it's time to cash in some Continental miles on our next trip to the PRC. I got the Lao po and I tickets from JAX to PEK and return for $79 and 260K miles.

I flew to Nanning 2 months ago. Price was up $500 compared to my last trip plus Continental socked it to me for $140 Bag Charge. Low life Thieves! Whats wrong with America? We have become so passive in our lives that phoney predators have become our masters.

I flew to Nanning 2 months ago. Price was up $500 compared to my last trip plus Continental socked it to me for $140 Bag Charge. Low life Thieves! Whats wrong with America? We have become so passive in our lives that phoney predators have become our masters.

I hear ya buddy!

Were getting screwed left and right.

I have been searching everyday now for ticket to chonqqing and the lowest i found is 1300$

Now i must say to everyone!! Beware of CheapOair.

My wife friend just went to Chongqing this past Thursday.

She bought her ticket 3 days before flight time.

Though she did get a great price of 1080$ round trip, So the web sit said??

She left on time from Maryland and arrived on time in shanghai, But there was NO record of her connection to Chongqing and to top it off there was record of her return trip to the US.

She just arrived in Chongqing today. 4/1/2012 in the am after she had to pay MORE money to get to Chongqing.

She has called CheapOair and they have no idea what happen and have no record of her trip.

Buyer beware.

You buy cheap-You get Cheap.

IMO: Spend a few extra bucks and the peace of mind knowing you will get to where you need to be.

But then again, Were still getting screwed with the prices, It's going to get to the point someday we may never get to go HOME and see family.

It's very say as i sit here writing this knowing this could be our last trip unless somethings change in our country that work for the people.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

You know, prices may be going up and things may be more packed than they were in the 'golden age of flight'...

However....

I will never get over the fact that even a kid working at McDonald's can, with the right planning, afford a trip to the other side of the world. Think about it for a moment. From one side of the planet to the other.. in relative comfort.. in a mere 15 hours.. all for 1000 - 1500 bucks. It wasn't that long ago it cost that much just to fly from one city to another here in the States, let alone cross country and forget International. :)

Also, as to CheapOAir... their best price was only 60 bucks lower than booking direct with Delta for my typical route for the same set of dates. Their cheaper flight involved an 11 hour layover vice the near perfect 1 hour layover with Delta. The Delta flight is a 777 with all the bells and whistles. The CheapOAir flight seems to be about the same. So, call that a wash.

So, at least on the days I tested it seems the only way to avoid the extremely long layovers is to go up to a price point that is equal to or greater than flying on Delta direct. You also give up the nice plane on that route. In short, Pass.

Edited by foobaz123 (see edit history)