Idiots guide to Chinese women

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

"You're fat!" "He, she, it, and/or they are fat"

Without even pausing for a moment, these words may ring out of nowhere. Would you expect any less from a country where normal is size 5, or less? There can be a lot of pressure on spouses and children when they can pinch more than an inch.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

"Be strong!"

When trouble finds it's way to the Chinese, they are not popping anti-depressants and making their way to the next group therapy session. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is a way of life. The family support system is quite strong, but even that is sometimes unavailable. Chinese people don't like to talk about what's eating them. They would rather find the positive side of the problem, than dwelling on it. But, at the same time, they may project what bad is happening to them, on you or others. That will help them from accepting responsibility for it.

Guest ExChinaExpat

"What's your salary?"

"How much did you pay for that house?"

Americans tend to be very private about their working salary, their personal assets, or how much they paid for their house. We tend to reserve that information for family or very close friends. Chinese are much more open about these things. They talk to each other, and discuss salary, assets and investments.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Take a pee

Finding a place to go in China is not always the easiest thing to do. Infants and toddler clothing is open in the back and front to provide easy access. It's not unusual to see family members help a child relieve themself in public drain, wastecan, sidewalk, street, floor, bush, tree, or what have you.

http://i40.tinypic.com/213m3ix.jpg

Take a pee

Finding a place to go in China is not always the easiest thing to do. Infants and toddler clothing is open in the back and front to provide easy access. It's not unusual to see family members help a child relieve themself in public drain, wastecan, sidewalk, street, floor, bush, tree, or what have you.

One advantage to that is that you immediately discover when the child has "gone", and can encourage him/her to let you know in advance next time. A diaper simply allows the child to "go" undiscovered until the parents bother to check.

"You're fat!" "He, she, it, and/or they are fat"

Without even pausing for a moment, these words may ring out of nowhere. Would you expect any less from a country where normal is size 5, or less? There can be a lot of pressure on spouses and children when they can pinch more than an inch.

Yep --- on our very first date Li and I were walking down the street and she turned to me with a sparkle in her eyes, smiles and says - "You're fat." You coulda knocked me over with a feather. I was only about eight pounds over the normal weight for my height. We still laugh about that one to this day. When I met Li, she weighed all of 96 pounds.

"Don't drink cold things."

And for goodness sake, don't use beer to take that pill. Water only. Room temperature. Be sure to serve hot water to your guests.

:coffee1:

I moved to China back in 1997. It was in August, in Anhui, and hot as Hades and even more humid. Whenever I taught an afternoon class I would literally sweat puddles of water. You think I could find a cold Coke anywhere after class? Not a chance. Also, they drank their beer warm as well. This took me some getting used to. I understand it has now changed somewhat, at least in the larger urban areas. A cold beer is not too hard to find.

Guest ExChinaExpat

"Wash your hands!"

Ever been to a public Chinese restroom? Unless you're in an expensive Western hotel or restaurant, chances are you will not find paper towels, or even soap. Shirts and pants function nicely for wiping your hands; after you've shaken them at least five times. I actually got the five-time shaking thing from a Chinese hotel that recommended doing it before using paper towels. The idea is to conserve the paper towels.

Two things most Chinese people do after they return home:

1. Remove shoes, and replace with slippers

2. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water

Impress your Chinese partner by making sure you wash your hands upon returning home.

Guest ExChinaExpat

"Oh my god! Block the sun for me!"

For generations, hundreds, if not thousands of years, a Chinese woman's skin was to be protected and cared for. When the sun shines, out comes the umbrellas. Trains, buses, and even many taxis are fitted with window shades and curtains. There is a cultural component that may be rooted in class separation. Chinese farmers work hard in the fields all day, almost every day. Farmer women's skin becomes darkened from the sun. Many Chinese women do not want to be identified with this. They want their skin to appear as white and free of wrinkles as possible. Respect her need for expensive lotions, daily facial masks, and hiding from the sun. She also expects her man to rush to her aid to keep the sun off her face and body.

There is a new show on Broadway called Chinglish that deals with a lot of these issues in a funny way.

My wife did not like the show but I was splitting up and most of us that have a Chinese wife and have dealt with "Lost in translation" issues will find this show very entertaining.

I have heard of the show, but that's about it. Talking about cultural and language differences can sometimes be misinterpreted. American humor can be a little intimidating to Chinese people, because there is so much culture involved in it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChinglishBroadway/feed

http://chinglishbroadway.com/