Back to China for spring festival. How to prevent getting sick

Hi all. I went to China August 4th this year and spent 12 days with my fiancee. The jet lag was really bad for me. By the 2nd day I was queasy and nauseous and that never completely went away while I was there. After 7 days we went to Beijing and I ended up with stomach issues. No fever or vomiting, but everything I ate or drank ran through me and kept me in the bathroom for 2 days. We ended up going to the hospital where they did a few simple tests and chalked it up to me not being able to handle their food and water in China. I was VERY careful not to drink the water there unless we boiled it but I still got sick. I am returning to China Jan 21st to spend Spring festival with my future lao po and don't want to be sick while I am there. ANY advice you guys can share with me would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned to take Dramamine on the long leg, and domestic leg of flights.

Only to avoid food sickness, is to drink bottled water. I guess I have been fortunate in that area.

First trip to China I did come down with a cold and spent a day in the hotel room recovering, this was at the end of trip a few days before heading back home.

Hi all. I went to China August 4th this year and spent 12 days with my fiancee. The jet lag was really bad for me. By the 2nd day I was queasy and nauseous and that never completely went away while I was there. After 7 days we went to Beijing and I ended up with stomach issues. No fever or vomiting, but everything I ate or drank ran through me and kept me in the bathroom for 2 days. We ended up going to the hospital where they did a few simple tests and chalked it up to me not being able to handle their food and water in China. I was VERY careful not to drink the water there unless we boiled it but I still got sick. I am returning to China Jan 21st to spend Spring festival with my future lao po and don't want to be sick while I am there. ANY advice you guys can share with me would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

You might try Melatonin as a sleep aid to try and overcome the jet leg but I don't think that was your main problem.

In two years here in China, it has become a joke among us foreigners here that it is remarkable when we go to the toliet and actually 'have to push'. biggrin.gif

While drinking bottled water helps if you are eating any of the local food you are still susceptible to this. And short of only eating at KFC and McDonald's you end up eating local food. If you ever go to a Chinese food market (like a farmer's market in the US) and see the food handling practices you start to understand why. This is why all Chinese food is cooked thoroughly and if many cases seems overcooked to a Western palate. I have had friends who carry Pepto Bismo pills. I use anti-diarrhea pills though they tend to give me cramps.

Do try to stay hydrated as that also helps. I assume you are only eating with your fiancee. The other advice I was given, especially as it comes to street food was only eat where the Chinese are eating. In other words, eat at the place with the long line and skip the place where you can get served quickly..

I took a Pepto Bismol pill once a day and that helped a lot; as has been said, you can only be so careful yourself, you don't know how the food you're eating was handled. Stay away from street food, even though it can be very tempting. Western restaurants and higher-end places that cater to foreigners probably have better food-handling practices, but then eating where the locals eat is a great experience.

I second the Melatonin idea, too; helps get your body straight on when to eat.

Other than that, just spend lots of time in bed :D

I took a Pepto Bismol pill once a day and that helped a lot; as has been said, you can only be so careful yourself, you don't know how the food you're eating was handled. Stay away from street food, even though it can be very tempting. Western restaurants and higher-end places that cater to foreigners probably have better food-handling practices, but then eating where the locals eat is a great experience.

I second the Melatonin idea, too; helps get your body straight on when to eat.

Other than that, just spend lots of time in bed :D

I think yore onto something with that last sentence, TLB. :) I spent a culmative year in Chinertucky with Wenyan during my 7 trips there. We ate at many restaurants both large and small and fortunately I never got sick or even suffered jet lag. Then again....we spent a lot of time in, on, and around the bed. :eyebrow: :smoker:

tsap seui

The first time I got sick in China was 15 minutes after eating a pizza at the Pizza Hut in Dalian...I had the trots for 7 days. I went to a pharmacy in Fushun and was sold some little pills. I was cured after taking the very first pill...amazing. The second time was in Guangzhou when Hu Po went for her interview...that's another story.

The first time I got sick in China was 15 minutes after eating a pizza at the Pizza Hut in Dalian...I had the trots for 7 days. I went to a pharmacy in Fushun and was sold some little pills. I was cured after taking the very first pill...amazing. The second time was in Guangzhou when Hu Po went for her interview...that's another story.

I can see by the terlet seat ring you've had quite an active life in Chinertucky, buddy. :lol: God only knows what wuz in them tighten up pills you bought in Fushun. After 7 days of trottin' around NE Chinertucky as long as them lil' pills work, who cares aye? :D

Hope you and the lil' missus have a great Hollerdaze.

tsap seui

One thing that cured my jet lag was to sleep the entire time on the plane. Of course I needed medicine for this (Ambien) but it worked. I hit the ground running and was never tired.

Sounds like you are very sensitive to certain foods. Are you sensitive to any foods here in America?

I got sick about 2 days after I arrived in China again (In beijing).. I was really sick for 3 weeks. I have noticed that lately ALOT of people are sick, even if its just the common cold. I would recommend taking Zinc tablets to try and prevent yourself from getting a cold. Also, drink LOTS of water on the plane as water helps your body flush out toxins and stay hydrated. As far as queasy stomach goes.. I agree with the others Pepto is your best friend haha

Thats a really idea. I was planning to ask my doctor for Ambien for this trip. In the US I can eat anything and never have any problems. I read the symptoms of jet lag and they include diarhea, nausea, etc...so maybe the ambien will do the trick. This trip I will be staying with my sweety at her apartment so 90% of our meals will be cooked there. My dr. said to stay away from ice and fountain drinks in China which I drank both while there. Wondering if that caused me problems.

One thing that cured my jet lag was to sleep the entire time on the plane. Of course I needed medicine for this (Ambien) but it worked. I hit the ground running and was never tired.

Sounds like you are very sensitive to certain foods. Are you sensitive to any foods here in America?

Thats a really idea. I was planning to ask my doctor for Ambien for this trip. In the US I can eat anything and never have any problems. I read the symptoms of jet lag and they include diarhea, nausea, etc...so maybe the ambien will do the trick. This trip I will be staying with my sweety at her apartment so 90% of our meals will be cooked there. My dr. said to stay away from ice and fountain drinks in China which I drank both while there. Wondering if that caused me problems.

Yes stay away from ice and fountain drinks. Even bottled water in some cities are not safe as they use tap water to fill the bottles. My wife was very peculiar about certain bottled waters and would not let me drink them. Your gal should know best. One thing, if it doesn't taste right then beware. Only take a sip to determime the taste. If it ain't right then don't drink it. Only eat foods that have been boiled such as noodles. If your gal know how to make soymilk then this will be a plus as well as green tea. I ate at many streetside restaurants and was not affected. Green tea as well as puer tea detoxifies the blood so this is a good thing.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)