Hong Kong to Nanning

Hello everyone. I want to go from NYC to Nanning. The best prices so far that I can find is to fly into Hong Kong. Looked on United and Delta for prices and availibility. A bit high but available. The problem that I am concern is how to get from Hong Kong to Nanning ( round trip). I found some flights thru FlyChina.com. The prices weree either $300 or 429 flying with Hong Kong Airlines or China Southern. I never heard of Hong Kong Airlines going into Nanning. Has anyone ever flown with them to Nanning. Are they reliable? Two other questions. Has anyone booked flight thru Flychina.com or would I be better going thru the Airlines directly? Also how much time should I allow between my US leg and China leg portions of my flights? Is two hours enough or is that cutting too short? Do I have any other vaible and affordable options? sorry for so many questions at once. I appreciate you alls thoughts. Danb

Hello everyone. I want to go from NYC to Nanning. The best prices so far that I can find is to fly into Hong Kong. Looked on United and Delta for prices and availibility. A bit high but available. The problem that I am concern is how to get from Hong Kong to Nanning ( round trip). I found some flights thru FlyChina.com. The prices weree either $300 or 429 flying with Hong Kong Airlines or China Southern. I never heard of Hong Kong Airlines going into Nanning. Has anyone ever flown with them to Nanning. Are they reliable? Two other questions. Has anyone booked flight thru Flychina.com or would I be better going thru the Airlines directly? Also how much time should I allow between my US leg and China leg portions of my flights? Is two hours enough or is that cutting too short? Do I have any other vaible and affordable options? sorry for so many questions at once. I appreciate you alls thoughts. Danb

I did that on China Southern back in January. Unfortunately, the flights to Nanning left BEFORE the arrivals to Hong Kong, so I had to wait at the airport for 20 hours

But, if you have better connections on your flights, the customs time is fairly short in Hong Kong - 2 hours I'm sure would be plenty.

Yes, Hong Kong airlines if quite reliable. They are part of the Hainan Air Group.

I've flown them from Nanning to HK, but not the other way around. Going to Nanning for us we have the same problem Randy notes... not very good connection times.

Other options include transiting to Shenzhen (by boat) or Guangzho (by bus)... where there are more (and usually cheaper) flight options to NNG.

Good luck!

From just a quick search, it seems easier to get flights from Guangzhou to Nanning than from Hong Kong You could always land in HK, then transit up to Guangzhou then take China Southern to Nanning.

From just a quick search, it seems easier to get flights from Guangzhou to Nanning than from Hong Kong You could always land in HK, then transit up to Guangzhou then take China Southern to Nanning.

That would also be my recommendation. Take the HK light rail train to Shenzhen, then take the high-speed train to Guangzhou. Then take a cab or airport bus to the airport. Should take about 3 hours, depending on connections.

That would also be my recommendation. Take the HK light rail train to Shenzhen, then take the high-speed train to Guangzhou. Then take a cab or airport bus to the airport. Should take about 3 hours, depending on connections.

where is the Customs for entry into China when you take the rail out of HK?

what about return, where is customs for HK?

I suspect the Sham Chun or Shenzhen River river bridges.

From Wikipedia:

Currently there are six major border crossings connecting Hong Kong and Shenzhen:

1. Man Kam To crossing provides the most direct access to the Shenzhen city centre (vehicles only)
  2. Sha Tau Kok crossing connects Hong Kong with routes heading to the east of Shenzhen
  3. Lok Ma Chau crossing provides a link to Futian area of Shenzhen (vehicles only HK side)
  4. Lok Ma Chau crossing links to the Futian area of Shenzhen and metro lines (rail only)
  5. Lo Wu crossing provides a rail connection between Hong Kong and central Shenzhen for passengers only. The number of passengers can reach up to 400,000 during peak hours, often at the beginning or the end of a long holiday period.
  6. Hong Kong-Shenzhen Western Corridor opened in 2007 and accessed via a road bridge directly from HK this crossing is unique in that both immigration for Hong Kong and China are located in the same building on the China side of the bridge. Access only by authorised vehicles on HK side.

http://en.wikipedia....ai-Macau_Bridge

There are a few flights out of Shenzhen to Nanning each day. There is a high speed Ferry directly from Hong Kong airport to Shenzhen airport. You do not have to go thru Hong Kong customs and the fee is pretty low.

Most of United airlines flights out of JFK arrive pretty late in HKIA. The high speed ferry service ends shortly after 9pm. If you can afford the wait you might want to book the HKIG flight to Nanning with plenty of time for the connection. Or go with the train route to Guangzhou.

Thank you for all your replies. This intended trip is a last minute thing. Normally I fly off of one ticket. NYC --China---Nanning and return home. Trying it to do it that way at this time and the price are very very high. So that is why I am trying to do separate flights. The problem as many have mention. Long layover or having to go up to Guangzhou ( 79 miles away) or taking the ferry to Shenzhen. I am a little worried as I will be traveling by myself. My Chinese is very limited. I wonder how much trouble I would run into. Especial at the border crossing and at the transportation nodes. As far as buying my ticket if I use Hong Kong Air would you all suggest to purchase thru Flychina.com, Hong Kong Air or Hainan Air. Earlier today I had tried to access Hong Kong Air website but it did not seem too friend. I will try Hainan tonight. Thank Again. Danb

We cross at Lo Wu. Basically you get off the HK light rail train, go through the customs station there, then walk out right into to the Shenzhen transportatio center. There you can catch a bus,, a standard rail train, or the high speed train to the Guangzhou train station. I recommend the hish speed train. It's about one hour to Guangzhou at about 110 mph.

We cross at Lo Wu. Basically you get off the HK light rail train, go through the customs station there, then walk out right into to the Shenzhen transportatio center. There you can catch a bus,, a standard rail train, or the high speed train to the Guangzhou train station. I recommend the hish speed train. It's about one hour to Guangzhou at about 110 mph.

Another option, which I usually do, is to just take the direct HK-GUZ train which departs out of the Hung Hom station in Kowloon and runs 12 times a day. You go through HK exit customs/immigration at the Hung Hom station and then go through China entry customs/immigration at the Guangzhou East station which usually goes very fast. The train does not stop at the border and the entire trip takes about an hour and 50 minutes. The fare is HKD$190 (~$25US).

Edited by Eric (see edit history)

Hello again. Sorry to be a pain but another question. I was looking at the different options of getting to Nanning from Hong Kong. The flights from the States all seem to arrive late ( as some of you have stated). Do the borders the close at a certain time or are they open 24 hours a day? Years ago I thought I had read something about the borders being closes around 8:00 pm. Does my memory serve me right or have things changed or am I just wrong?

It looks like this trip may take an extra long time and I might need to get a hotel room either in Hong Kong or on the Chinese side. Next time I will have to remember that I should make travel plans much earlier and not at the last minute!!! Again I appreciate all of your advice and suggestion. Danb

Dec 25 flight out of Chicago to Hong Kong arrives at 6:45pm. I know for a fact cause I will be on it. That is the earliest flight that United has going into Hong Kong. There is plenty of time to clear Hong Kong customs and get to the border by taxi with that flight. Let me get you the flight number. United 0895. I do not know when you will be traveling but I am sure Yaun and I can make sure you get to the high speed train connection, or at the least get you to a decent hotel near the railway station.

PM me if you are in need of some help I will be in country thru Jan 1. Getting more proof of relationship for the interview, well and more time with my beautiful Fiance.

Contact Henry or Sarah @

Travel Depot

Monterey Park, CA

(626) 280-2198

traveldepot@ymail.com

travel_depot@yahoo.com

Chinese travel agents to mostly Chinese in SoCal.

They purchase blocks of tickets from China Southern, China Eastern, Air China and then resale at a discount. Many of us have used their service with high satisfaction.

Give them a try.

Edited by DennisLeiqin (see edit history)