Port of Entry Time???

I can't seem to figure out how long point of entry will take to get through...and where the POE should be. I live in Nashville there are no direct flights there, so our point of entry will be somewhere we are not going, how much time do I need inbetween? Or will my point of entry still be nashville? I won't be going through customs if I connect to another flight right?

POE is the first connecting airport on US soil, so for example you fly United Airlines the POE may be Chicago, then a domestic flight to Nashville.

Give your self at least 2 hours to clear customs at the POE.

If you are going through any of the east coast airports, JFK, Newark, Logan etc I would give yourself at a minimum 3 hours between flights. My wife POE at JFK took over 2 hours just because so many international flights from non visa waiver countries arrived at the same time. She had no problems there, was just a huge line waiting.

Yes Newark can be that way, last year my wife missed connecting flight through NJ, the airline paid for a room and meals, and she ended up home next day.

3 hours are better for many POE.

I can't seem to figure out how long point of entry will take to get through...and where the POE should be. I live in Nashville there are no direct flights there, so our point of entry will be somewhere we are not going, how much time do I need inbetween? Or will my point of entry still be nashville? I won't be going through customs if I connect to another flight right?

In mid August we went through POE (which is whatever airport you land in first in the states) in Dulles Airport just outside Wasnington, DC and it took my wife and son right at an hour to get processed. I was with them every step of the way.

Yes, you will have to go through customs, just like eeryone does when they return from a foreign country. Like Dan and the others suggest, a 3 hour turn around will give you peace of mind and no missed connecting flights.

Good luck and happy trails.

tsap seui

I have a question for POE at LAX, for anyone that went through this airport.

I'm planning to pick my wife up at the airport. The airport itself is already confusing enough, on top of that, there are several parking places. My wife already brought her ticket via Air China on the 24th, she just received her visa packet last night. Anyway, in order to pick her up, I'm not sure which terminal Air China usually come through if the origin was from Beijing.

If anyone know, please share, since running from one terminal to another wouldn't be fun.

Ning Zhang

I'm planning to pick my wife up at the airport. The airport itself is already confusing enough, on top of that, there are several parking places. My wife already brought her ticket via Air China on the 24th, she just received her visa packet last night. Anyway, in order to pick her up, I'm not sure which terminal Air China usually come through if the origin was from Beijing.

If anyone know, please share, since running from one terminal to another wouldn't be fun.

Ning Zhang

Air China uses Terminal 2.

Source: LAX website

Ning Zhang

Air China uses Terminal 2.

Source: LAX website

I would be shocked if an International Flight from Asia into LAX came into any terminal other than TBIT [Tom Bradley International Terminal]. The reference Ryan gives is likely departures only. The only exception to this is some flights from Canada and Europe where you are cleared by US Immigration at the departure airport. Even in those cases you normally arrive at the International Terminal because your luggage still has to clear customs.

I would call ahead once you have a flight number but I will owe you a beer if if is not the International Terminal.

I would call ahead once you have a flight number but I will owe you a beer if if is not the International Terminal.

Will you owe me a beer also? ;) I used the flight schedule tool on the LAX website a few minutes ago and it showed two Air China arrivals (flights 987 & 983) from Beijing on 10/24 that arrive at Terminal 2.

TBIT is not the only terminal at LAX that has a Federal Inspection station, when I returned from vacationing in Australia in 2008, I cleared customs at Terminal 4.

This is from wikipedia:

Terminal 2

Terminal 2 has 11 gates: 21–21B, 22–22B, 23, 24–24B, 25–28. It hosts most foreign airlines not using the Tom Bradley international Terminal along with a couple domestic airlines: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, Air France/KLM, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, Hawaiian Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, TACA/Lacsa, Virgin Atlantic, Volaris and WestJet.

Terminal 2 was built in 1962 and was the original international terminal. It was completely torn-down and rebuilt in 1984. Terminal 2 has CBP (Customs and Border Protection) facilities to process arriving international passengers. For many years, it housed Northwest Airlines until services moved to Terminal 5 in 2009 during that airline's merger with Delta Air Lines.

Note: Some TACA/LACSA arrivals are processed at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Edited by Ryan H (see edit history)

Will you owe me a beer also? ;)

I should know better than play with electricitysurprise.gif.

Beer is collectible in Dalian China until the end of December.

After that, it can be collected in Phoenix, AZ.

No expiration.