EOR for CR-1

Hi folks,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but it bears repeating: we did a spousal visa, and I don't remember anywhere that the EOR letter was required for that. However, after reading here over and over, I decided (rather late in the game) to write one (still thinking it wasn't necessary). I got it notarized at the Guangzhou Embassy the day before document intake.

During her interview, it never came up and the VO did not ask for it. However, we had met a couple who had been denied a fiancee visa two years ago, then married and were refiling as spousal. They were refused again. Who knows their exact circumstances outside of themselves and the VO, but the Chinese wife told my wife that the reason they were denied this time was because there was no written EOR.

I don't know if this is really why they were refused, but I do think that if the EOR is required for spousal visa, that should be listed as required somewhere. If it is and I just missed it, then my bad.

At any rate, I suggest that everyone have an EOR.

I'm not certain how important these eor letters actually are. I think they are much more important if you or your spouse had a previous marriage that didn't work out. For first timers though - I don't think they're really important/necessary. If you think about it ahead of time and can front load it, then "why not" However, I wouldn't waste (jmo) the money to get them notarized at the consulate the day prior to interview.

The best EOR examples I have seen seen complement or explain the relationship evidence submitted.

I agree with Kyle, if you have a divorce overlapping the new relationship or other atypical circumstances than an EOR can clarify. If your evidence establishes a more typical relationship I am don't think it is necessary.

I also agree that getting it notarized does not serve much purpose.

The best EOR examples I have seen seen complement or explain the relationship evidence submitted.

I agree with Kyle, if you have a divorce overlapping the new relationship or other atypical circumstances than an EOR can clarify. If your evidence establishes a more typical relationship I am don't think it is necessary.

I also agree that getting it notarized does not serve much purpose.

I will add a note about Notarization save some $$ and do this in the USA a notary in the states may charge a small fee like $5 or even do it for no charge.

I will add a note about Notarization save some $$ and do this in the USA a notary in the states may charge a small fee like $5 or even do it for no charge.

Most banks won't charge for notarization (you may have to be a customer of that specific bank to avoid being charged).

I ended up submitting two EOR type documents. One was a single page letter which covered the facts, including a bit about my previous marriage. The second was a 20 page photo journal, for lack of better word, that didn't go into the past but spoke more about us. It started out life as an index for some printed photos and scanned tickets and the like. However, I kept expanding it and expanding it until it was more like a journal. I just didn't want to include the pictures without some context and explanation.

Will any of it make a difference? Who knows. I can't imagine it would hurt and I know I'd feel terrible if we were denied and there was even the slightest chance such a document could have helped. :)

Exactly what I plan to do as well.......I think it can only help!

I ended up submitting two EOR type documents. One was a single page letter which covered the facts, including a bit about my previous marriage. The second was a 20 page photo journal, for lack of better word, that didn't go into the past but spoke more about us. It started out life as an index for some printed photos and scanned tickets and the like. However, I kept expanding it and expanding it until it was more like a journal. I just didn't want to include the pictures without some context and explanation.

Will any of it make a difference? Who knows. I can't imagine it would hurt and I know I'd feel terrible if we were denied and there was even the slightest chance such a document could have helped. :)

. . . Will any of it make a difference? Who knows. I can't imagine it would hurt and I know I'd feel terrible if we were denied and there was even the slightest chance such a document could have helped. :)

Probably right, however, I wonder if it is possible to provide too much information. In other words, opening up a can of worms that shouldn't be opened.