HURRICANE ~ !

knloregon

Very weird this morning here in central Connecticut, No traffic on roads and outside overcast with zero wind. Right now the local prediction is 75 plus mph winds for duration of over 20 hours beginning late tonight. Me and the wife went to the store last night, it was very crowded but no shortages, the store was not stocking shelves, just rolling out pallets and putting them at front of store of basics, water, bread etc.

The problem in Connecticut will be downed trees, the normal wind pattern here is winds out of the Northwest, this storm will bring winds from the Southeast and the ground here is already saturated from recent rains. All my crews are working today prepping trucks and equipment for what we expect to be a major clean-up on Monday.

That first silver car is mine, think I'm going to loose it.

Hang in there!

So far the storm is a big wuss... LOL streets barely even flooded. Will wake up and see if anything happened.

I agree....is nothing more than a big storm with localized heavy rain...seen the weather man from TWC broadcasting in the street, lamenting the cars that were driving by...then a very small branch blew by him, a car drove over it easily...seen a clip of some shingles being blown back on a roof...WOW..if its so bad, then what the H was he doing out there?...Its all about sensationalism...want to see something that i found really interesting, google the film clip of the black hole devouring a star...now that was pretty cool.

Edited by steveandrong (see edit history)

The thing to look at is water temperatures. The big category 5 storms get their strength over 85 degree water. The water along the coast up to New England is in the 70's. Doubtful that it will do much strengthening, even when it's over water again.

The 1938 Storm was a Category 5 that passed to the east of North Carolina and was guided to New England by high pressure cells. I was reading that it moved northwards at speeds up to 50mph (typically, a hurricane travels at 5 to 15 mph) - it didn't lose much steam. This one will be much weaker.

Before Ike, Houston had a hurricane that looked like it was going to hit. People evacuated in droves, so much so that people sat in the cars for 12 hours and longer along the evacuation routes. More people died in the evacuation than in the hurricane. My mouth dropped open when I found out that it had been advised (but not publicized) that you NOT evacuate if you were in an area that was above 25 ft. elevation.

A real nut job of a reporter here

http://media2.myfoxny.com//photo/2011/08/27/20110827stormfoamreporter8pmDPP_tmb0001_20110827212825_640_480.JPG

http://media2.myfoxny.com//photo/2011/08/27/20110827stormfoamreporter8pmDPP_tmb0004_20110827212838_640_480.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qRJeIhW89s

Reporter Gives Update Covered In "Sea Foam"

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

here in Quakertown, Pa., my basement hasa foot and a half of water in it, the street was under about mid thigh with water, got up this morning and the street is dry, I mean bone dry, shame I can't say the same about my basement, oh and the inside of my car is soaked, seats and all. :angry: