EARTH QUAKE ~ !

knloregon

What?? aprox 4 hours after the 'big trembler' back east and no posts? Did I miss it? Don't we have any active members who felt it? --big deal in the east----I don't recall ever experiencing a quake growing up in the DC area.

No quake stories? (or did the whole Piedmont plateau and all points east drop into the Atlantic)

My brother works in DC and said that there wasn't much damage. It did take him by surprise though. :lol:

What?? aprox 4 hours after the 'big trembler' back east and no posts? Did I miss it? Don't we have any active members who felt it? --big deal in the east----I don't recall ever experiencing a quake growing up in the DC area.

No quake stories? (or did the whole Piedmont plateau and all points east drop into the Atlantic)

I felt it in Pennsyltucky Kim. I'm 2 hours from downtown DC. We live in an older 2 story home and I was down in my old one bedroom apartment working on cleaning it out. Fengqi and the lil' rabbit were upstairs. I'm very used to hearing the people upstairs walking around on the creaky floors but this sounded like 3 500 pound people trying in unison to make the floors REALLY shake. It went on for a good 6 or 7 seconds and the whole house rumbled and shook, including the floor I was standing on. And dadgum if it wasn't like a peal of small thunder along with it.

I really didn't think anything about it other than "what the heck is the dynamic duo doing up there to shake the house like that?" and went on with what I was doing.

Soon lil' rabbit comes down to me with her translator in her hands and says "earse quake"....I'm like "huh?"....she says earse quake again and it dawned on me....dang if'n that wasn't what the heck it was. :lol:

It scared both of them, but I swear, it never crossed my mind that it was an earth quake until lil' rabbit said the words.

Glad it was only a minor one and we could all laugh about it, but Lord God Billy Bob, now I can understand how those things could bring your house of cards down around your butt-tocks in a REAL hurry.

Mother nature is sumpin else I tells ya.

Now I feels sorta Left Coast and Elvis, all at the same time...."I'm all shook up, un huh, un huh, yeah yeah"

Good luck to you left coast folks, this one didn't scare me (cause I had no earthly clue what it was) and it was a pleasant little ride but jeez Louise...I think I'd be living in a tent if I lived in an area prone to them. :lol:

tsap seui

Oh...the horror!! :o

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mmsajo.jpg

Let me just say that the above is a joke going around among us Californians. 5.9? How cute. :D

Still, it's quite unsettling to suddenly realize that the solid rock that you stand on is alive and moving.

It's interesting to read posts like Mr. Tsap's who've (I'm guessing) never experienced the earth coming alive beneath his feet before.

Finally ~! a decent story 'bout the quake ~ ! Thanks Tsap ~

I called my sister in Cumberland MD ---'figgerin' she musta been close to the epa-center ~ !! Never felt it. And really pissed that her four dogs (animals 'sposed t predic them thags, don't cha know) slept, snorin' thru it all... really mad at them dogs...

Oh...the horror!! :o

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mmsajo.jpg

Let me just say that the above is a joke going around among us Californians. 5.9? How cute. :D

Still, it's quite unsettling to suddenly realize that the solid rock that you stand on is alive and moving.

It's interesting to read posts like Mr. Tsap's who've (I'm guessing) never experienced the earth coming alive beneath his feet before.

Yep, Dennis...even though I spent a lot of time in Wellington, NZ and my friend told me we had had a few earthquakes while I was there, the only time I ever felt anything from an earthquake was one back in I guess the 1990's in Maryland which was real quick and sounded sort of like a crack. I think it's epicenter was up in eastern PA or even more north. This one diffinately rolled the ground and I swear I heard a thunder clap of sorts, although that could have been the building shaking perhaps.

Kim, interesting thing I read about this one was that the earth around where this hit on the east coast sits more on a solid sheet of rock and it would make the tremor travel farther than in California. The center was a around a little town, I think called Mineral down around 25 miles away from Richmond, Va.

I was too ignorant for it to scare me this time as I had no idea or thought that it was an earthquake, but buddy, I'll be howling and baying like an ol' blue tick hound dawg chasin' a possum, as I run off the porch the next time "I feel the earth move.....under my feet", as Carol King was sing. :lol:

Wenyan cracked me up when she came down to tell me about the "earse quake". I love that silly rabbit more everyday. I think we laugh at each other more than we talk to each other. :P

tsap seui

Survivor of the BIG ONE :rolleyes: :whistling: :sleep1:

I didn't feel a thing in Connecticut though many people around here keep saying "oh my chair moved, or the dishes where moving". I was at work so I called the wife who felt the Sichaun Earthquake and slept outside many nights because of it, and asked her if she felt anything? Her response was, "What earthquake?"

Edited by Scott@Hong (see edit history)