September interview group.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

³É¹¦ÁË£¡

Success! I'll post on the Interview Results page, just wanted to thank everyone for their patience and their help; it's possible we'd have made it anyway without CFL, but I seriously doubt it, and I certainly wouldn't have felt as good about the process and as knowledgeable about what to do and to expect. You all are worth gold.

Linda (see above) also got her visa, if I'm not mistaken -- she passed by while I was waiting in the coffee shop and gave me a smile and a thumbs up.

Tim (soon to be with wife) in Austin :ok:

Soon she'll be able to say, everyday, :stupid:

And, as some on here would certainly say, "let the training begin..." B)

Congratulations!

Congratulations to Tim and Luan Ying and myself! :)

It went very well like expected. The whole interview process is a bit dragging, it's an actually 3 day thing, because you have to get there at least a day before the document take-in, I believe many people got there even earlier than that if you need to do the medical check there. (I did mine in Beijing)

The waiting of course is not very pleasant but it's worthy if you get what you wanted in the end! so woohoo!

The interview itself was actually very easy, very short. I think they make their decisions very fast if your case seems a done deal. They've got a lot to do...... Of course I was a bit nervous but the visa officer (a young guy) is very nice, very friendly. So the conversation was very pleasant and relaxing.

Now I am just waiting for my visa package to arrive. Since it's close to Chinese National Holiday, it might take a bit longer, I am not worried, though. It WILL arrive SOON!

Thanks this forum for a lot of useful information.

I was very happy meeting Tim and Luan Ying, his wife. They are both very nice people. To chatting with them while waiting in the queque and in the waiting room made me less nervous and made time pass faster. Hope we can keep in touch. My husband, Sean and I are moving back early next year, I think. Looking forward to it!

All the best and good luck to those who are going through the process. Prepare well and you will be just fine! ;)

Linda

Sorry, I want to add a few things esp. for the attention of those who apply in China for IR1 (maybe CR1 is the same):

1. We paid in Beijing (about $425, I remember)when we filed the application first time but we were asked to pay the visa fee on document take-in day. We didn't know that! And they didn't take my bank card (it has to be a visa card). I had to run out to a Bank of China ATM in Westin (very close) to get cash and rushed back because the cashier is closed at 3.30pm and it was already 3 when it was my turn and I was told to pay. Any way, I paid on time and finished the document take-in without a problem. So if you are the same as me, please do remember to pay the visa fee (I think you can pay at CITIC bank beforehand, but I am not very sure), either to prepare cash ($404, RMB is fine) or a visa card.

2. When we were waiting outside on the day for document take-in, a Chinese woman did check our Chiense ID card. I didn't think they would ask for that so I didn't have it with me, but it was not a big deal, she just looked at my passport instead. If your Chinese wife goes, maybe ask her to take her ID card with her also to avoid some mafan.

3. Do give your passport(s) to your wife so she can show it to the visa officer, it is an evidence that you were either there with her or in China, they can also check your visa or entry record.

4. If you apply in China (means you've been living in China for a while), do prepare a domicile or return plan letter. I think if you've got a house or a job offer, it would be great. If not, a letter to explain where you are going to live (like us, to live with in-law's for a while till we find our own place so we prepared a letter from in-laws to prove that) and your plan for looking for jobs after you arrive in America.

5. Don't need to take all your documents to the consulate on the document take-in day, like those marriage evidence, letters, photo albums etc. If you've got a lot, they are really heavy! What they took that day are: All white books (notarized documents), I-864 forms, tax returns, medical check result (they ask you to open the envelop there), 2 visa photos.

6. For both days, don't take many electronic devices, maybe just a phone. You have to give all of them to the guard before going through the security check so if you don't have many it can avoid some mafan and save some time taking them out, etc.

7.Dress code: Be smart and pretty (haha) but don't go too formal. For ladies, I recommend a nice but simple dress (don't use belt! you need to take off shoes and belt when you go through the security door)

Well, that's it, I guess. Good luck, everyone!

Linda

Edited by Linda_Sutton (see edit history)

Linda, you got lucky there, but yes you have to pay a fee for the visa itself. Keep in mind you are dealing with two different departments when dealing with an immigrant visa.

First you are paying $420 to the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) to process an I-130 petition. This is paid to DHS at the consulate or embassy in Beijing when filing the I-130, or it is paid to Chicago if filing the petition in the USA.

Then later you are dealing with the Department of State and pay them to process a DS-230 visa application, this $404 fee is paid to NVC if the I-130 was filed in the USA, or it is paid to the consulate if the petition was filed with DHS in China. The fee is $330 + $74

The one thing you did not have to pay is an $88 fee to process the affidavit of support.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fees.html

Also the only people pay visa fees to CITIC bank are NON-Immigrants, (B-2, F-1, K-1, etc..)

Linda, you got lucky there, but yes you have to pay a fee for the visa itself. Keep in mind you are dealing with two different departments when dealing with an immigrant visa.

First you are paying $420 to the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) to process an I-130 petition. This is paid to DHS at the consulate or embassy in Beijing when filing the I-130, or it is paid to Chicago if filing the petition in the USA.

Then later you are dealing with the Department of State and pay them to process a DS-230 visa application, this $404 fee is paid to NVC if the I-130 was filed in the USA, or it is paid to the consulate if the petition was filed with DHS in China. The fee is $330 + $74

The one thing you did not have to pay is an $88 fee to process the affidavit of support.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fees.html

Also the only people pay visa fees to CITIC bank are NON-Immigrants, (B-2, F-1, K-1, etc..)

Great to know........even now! Thanks. I believe this info is useful to those who are still in the application process. :P

Well, I guess I can say I've officially finished the visa process. This morning I received my visa package! It was super fast. My interview was only 3 days ago on 28th. Even the visa officer said it would be a bit slow due to the holiday. Wonderful. The visa is 6 months from the day before your medical check day, btw.

Next, I will need to check ticket, shipping, entry and green card info. Does anyone know if I can change my name to my husband's last name on my green card?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Linda_Sutton (see edit history)

Well, I guess I can say I've officially finished the visa process. This morning I received my visa package! It was super fast. My interview was only 3 days ago on 28th. Even the visa officer said it would be a bit slow due to the holiday. Wonderful. The visa is 6 months from the day before your medical check day, btw.

Next, I will need to check ticket, shipping, entry and green card info. Does anyone know if I can change my name to my husband's last name on my green card?

What name was used on DS-230 and on I-130? If you used desired married name, the green card will have that name on it.

If you did not use married name on the petition and application then you probably will need to do a legal name change after arriving in USA and file an I-90 and pay $450 to get a card with married name.

What name was used on DS-230 and on I-130? If you used desired married name, the green card will have that name on it.

If you did not use married name on the petition and application then you probably will need to do a legal name change after arriving in USA and file an I-90 and pay $450 to get a card with married name.

I used my Chinese name (I didn't see 'desired married name'), my case is IR1, by the way. For other names used, I put my English name 'Linda' there). I've just read some posts about changing names, it seems it can cause some confusion so I will re-consider it.

Thanks.

I used my Chinese name (I didn't see 'desired married name'), my case is IR1, by the way. For other names used, I put my English name 'Linda' there). I've just read some posts about changing names, it seems it can cause some confusion so I will re-consider it.

Thanks.

Water under bridge now, however on those forms.

Name would be name you will be using when arriving in USA.

"Other names used" is for your maiden name, or other legal names used.

I suspect "Linda" is an "English" name, not used in a legal sense, so would have not been listed as "other names used"

In my wife's case, her "English name" is Rosemary, however it is not used in any legal sense, so is not noted on any forms.

She took my name so this is what is noted on all forms, and her name before marriage is "Other names used"

Lee VD wife did a name change. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42482-first-name-change-order-of-operations/page__p__563998__fromsearch__1#entry563998

Anyway not too much of a problem after arriving in the USA, if a family name change, have your spouse look into legal name change in the state you will be living in, once legally changed, yo would simply file an I-90 to replace green-card, and will be scheduled to visit USCIS for finger-prints/photo/signature as part of the process.

The other option is if you plan on becoming a US Citizen, you can change name when you apply for citizenship, no need to go through all the trouble to file for legal name change, it will happen as part of becoming a citizen.

Lee VD wife did a name change. http://candleforlove...__1#entry563998

Anyway not too much of a problem after arriving in the USA, if a family name change, have your spouse look into legal name change in the state you will be living in, once legally changed, yo would simply file an I-90 to replace green-card, and will be scheduled to visit USCIS for finger-prints/photo/signature as part of the process.

The other option is if you plan on becoming a US Citizen, you can change name when you apply for citizenship, no need to go through all the trouble to file for legal name change, it will happen as part of becoming a citizen.

Thanks. I think I will change when I apply for citizenship.

Edited by dnoblett
Fixed Quote Tags (see edit history)

Lee VD wife did a name change. http://candleforlove...__1#entry563998

Thanks. I think I will change when I apply for citizenship.

Yep, that is a good plan, can file N-400 after 3 years residency, and on form N-400 Part 1 section D it allows for legal name change.