Computers

Sorry to start a new thread on this. My computer has some minor issues with Candle...just my service here I'm sure.

Anyhow.

Should I buy a laptop here, or in America. Randy, Dan, anyone?

I tried like heck to find one of the threads on this and my dumb computer locks up or takes forever. Sorry.

tsap seui

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The computer store here usually has prices slightly lower than what you'll find in the US - they've always put XP on them (bought 3 computers so far), and a version that Microsoft seems okay with (they've "authenticated" all three). I don't know if they'd charge extra for Windows 7 (haven't asked).

You probably want an English-language operating system, though - make sure they can do that for you. I think Windows 7 makes it much easier to switch. I ended up installing my own XP on my computers, while Jiaying still has her own Chinese XP.

All-in-all, though, the most straight forward thing to do would be to wait until you got home to see if you still have the issues, and be sure of what you're getting if you still want to buy.

You could also try connecting to CFL at the computer store, see if they're blocked also.

The computer store here usually has prices slightly lower than what you'll find in the US - they've always put XP on them (bought 3 computers so far), and a version that Microsoft seems okay with (they've "authenticated" all three). I don't know if they'd charge extra for Windows 7 (haven't asked).

You probably want an English-language operating system, though - make sure they can do that for you. I think Windows 7 makes it much easier to switch. I ended up installing my own XP on my computers, while Jiaying still has her own Chinese XP.

All-in-all, though, the most straight forward thing to do would be to wait until you got home to see if you still have the issues, and be sure of what you're getting if you still want to buy.

You could also try connecting to CFL at the computer store, see if they're blocked also.

I see that Microsoft is ending their support for XP service pk1 soon.

I see that Microsoft is ending their support for XP service pk1 soon.

Anything short of service pack 3 won't support the hardware you buy today

If Microsoft stops "supporting" XP, that'll save me the trouble of downloading any "updates". I'll "upgrade" to Windows 7 when I have a reason to.

But when you buy a new computer, you have a choice. XP is still the dominant (by far) OS in China, but I'm sure that tsapper can get Windows 7 if he wants it.

Microsoft still thinks there are entirely too many people using Windows XP, and they¡¯re making a point of telling them all to upgrade to Windows 7.

If Microsoft keeps to its word, and the countdown clock runs out without any extensions, Windows XP will go end-of-life in early 2014, after which users who are still running the OS will not receive any further security updates and patches from Microsoft. Users will also not be able to contact Microsoft for support. If they do, they¡¯ll be told to upgrade to Windows 7.

Oh man, my brain is as dead as the fish heads I eat here. I need the new computer for Wenyan and Fengqi in America.

My computer should be fine when I get home. Sorry about that Randy. I reread my post and feel like the fool I am sometimes for an incoherent post.

Yes, I need it for America and need for Wenyan to be able to read in Chinese on it, at least intially.

tsap seui

Looks like after reading you and Chawls posts that Microsoft is doing to XP what they did to my dear old Winders 95. :(

I liked XP too, that's what Wenyan has here on her tower computer but it runs real slow and I have no idea what to do. We're gonna leave it here anyhow.

My laptop is Winders 7 and I'd like to get the same thing for them for America. Just didn't know if the prices may be better here or there. Wenyan just got back from looking at the translater Randy suggested and at some computers. She said the computers were 3,000 to 5,000 rmb for laptops.

I get released from the "cage" tomorrow and get to go look at their operating systems, etc.

Thanks guys.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Tsap

My thought would be to wait until you get back to USA. I also had LiYuan price laptops in China before i first went to see her and found the prices to be better in USA.

I just bought a Gateway for myself from Best Buy on sale and got it for 400USD.Hated to give up on my Toshiba but after 5 years but it was dying on me.

My second oldest son who is an Electrical and Computer Engineer told me he could not buy the parts at cost to build it for that.

He was saying the same thing Randy and Chawls said that Windows XP will be going the same way as yer winders 95 in a couple of years.

My thought also would be buy it here for getting service here if you need. My Toshiba was bought in Singapore and they did not want to work on it here.

Good luck and safe journey home.

Besides you have enough to carry without a new computer as well :D

Paul

I also believe that you can find a cheaper computer in America. The only issue with that would be finding one that has a Chinese version of Windows.

Tsap

My thought would be to wait until you get back to USA. I also had LiYuan price laptops in China before i first went to see her and found the prices to be better in USA.

I just bought a Gateway for myself from Best Buy on sale and got it for 400USD.Hated to give up on my Toshiba but after 5 years but it was dying on me.

My second oldest son who is an Electrical and Computer Engineer told me he could not buy the parts at cost to build it for that.

He was saying the same thing Randy and Chawls said that Windows XP will be going the same way as yer winders 95 in a couple of years.

My thought also would be buy it here for getting service here if you need. My Toshiba was bought in Singapore and they did not want to work on it here.

Good luck and safe journey home.

Besides you have enough to carry without a new computer as well :D

Paul

Thanks Paul for the help.

I am starting to lean so far in the direction of buying the computer in America, at most likely Best Buy where I bought this ASUS one last July that that is most likely what's going to happen.

I will go look at the ones here tomorrow, and I appreciate Randy's sage input, but I am so computer dumb and so tired of trying to figure out what is a game or not in Chinertucky that I am easily getting swamped and looking to deal with what I know...or at least am more comfortable with. :P

Thanks again.

tsap seui

I also believe that you can find a cheaper computer in America. The only issue with that would be finding one that has a Chinese version of Windows.

Windows 7 (at least the ultimate versions) let you pick the character set you want to use per login. I initially set up one of my computers in Chinese thinking it would be easier for wife/daughter but as soon as they had an issue I couldnt help.

Turned out to be easier to add input method for english and chinese, but have the main operating system in english.

You bring up a good point Kyle. If I simply change the language to Chinese on the new computer will my wife be able to navigate on it? Or does it have to be a Chinese version of Windows? She has her QQ friends and an online Chinese investment site she likes to go to. I just asked her and she says she needs Chinese websites.

Wenyan can speak english to me, but she can't read it. You guys in America buy your wives a laptop with a Chinese O/S or just off the shelf?

Confused in lala land.

I too would simply wait and buy one in the states.

I bought an MSI Wind for my wife about 3 years ago, it is easy to enable the language bar allowing character entry in Chinese, especially on windows 7.

I could have switched the entire OS to Chinese, however it would make it hard for me to deal with problems, and my wife has had no issues with the English interface.

I'll be the heretic and say that I found prices in the Guangzhou computer markets to be in most cases comparable to the State. However, if one wants Windows I'm not sure if they are putting legit versions thereon or not. All the ones I saw were running Windows 7 with some minor exceptions.

I'll go even farther and say, why Windows? Could always give Linux a spin.

If you decide to wait until you get back to the States I suggest ordering from Newegg.com instead of getting it from Best Buy. :)

I too would simply wait and buy one in the states.

I bought an MSI Wind for my wife about 3 years ago, it is easy to enable the language bar allowing character entry in Chinese, especially on windows 7.

I could have switched the entire OS to Chinese, however it would make it hard for me to deal with problems, and my wife has had no issues with the English interface.

Thanks Dan, what you and Credzba had to say makes it easy for me. :)

I'll take foozba's website advice and buy the dang computer in America. You gotta be a smart person like Randy to deal in China, I am way over my head and too damn easy of a mark here in lala land. Next time I eat chicken here I'm gonna want to see them kill the damn bird. :lol:

tsap seui

I bought Li a computer in the US and brought it to China. Her Uncle added a program to make it Chinese. HP tech support in China would not help her, they told her

she has to us HP tech support in the US. HP in China and the US do not honor each other warrenties.