OT, Cooking Chinese in america

This is my 15th month here in China and Bea and I are still waiting for our P3 to officially turnup at NVC. Fed Ex says they delivered it dec 18th.

Anyways what I am wondering is....? How are wives, girlfriends and husbands as the case may be, dealing with cooking in the states? I'm not so much thinking about the ingredients for chinese style food but the actual gas stoves. Seems to me that the ones I had didn't burn as hot as they do here?

Also how about the "My bathroom IS my shower!" or is it ..."My shower IS my bathroom!" issue and finally has anyone had to deal with foot prints on the toilet seat?

I think there is going to be reverse culture shock for my by the time I return.. :P

Hypo.....

Not to worry. You'll quickly find your Western home turned into a blend of East and West. I know that was the case for me. Once here, you'll constantly be reminded how China does everything so much better (cooking, medicine, washing dishes/clothes, etc.). That is, of course, until they actually learn how to use certain appliances in the home. Dishwashers are "manna from heaven" and clothes dryers beat hanging stuff out to dry (especially when it's raining). Benedryl beats herbs and [expensive] cosmetics are better than the knock-of products in China.

We had a hot pot tonight. Usually, I'm fine with the Sichuan spicey stuff but this was the exception. I've got the worst heartburn right now! Anyway, we found an electric hot plate that sits on the table. We also found a pot that is half/half cuz JM's son hates spicey stuff. The hot plate is FAST and does a good job cooking the stuff. Does anyone else use these hot plates? If not, you should get one.

My wife has adapted to useing the electric stove without any problems and she uses the electric wok, most chinese foods are available but not all stores have a complete inventory so you have to go to several stores or travel to other citys to find what you want, example spices for hot pot, Orlando or Miami, not Ft. Myers and in the larger citys the prices are cheaper. small jar of Kim Chi $5 big city large jar $5 so sometimes stock pileing is in order

We had a hot pot tonight.  Usually, I'm fine with the Sichuan spicey stuff but this was the exception.  I've got the worst heartburn right now!  Anyway, we found an electric hot plate that sits on the table.  We also found a pot that is half/half cuz JM's son hates spicey stuff.  The hot plate is FAST and does a good job cooking the stuff.  Does anyone else use these hot plates?  If not, you should get one.

Not to plug a retailer, but Target has a nice small butane powered single burner stove for about $30. It does not produce a lot of heat, maybe 7,000 btu, but, if you pre-heat the pot, it will hold the temperature at the boiling point.

It uses a butane cannister that is good for about 3-4 hours at full blast. The burner reminds me of the ones you see at many of the restaurants in China.

We also have an electric stove and it works great with the flat bottum 14 inch cast iron wok. Our electric hot pot (made in China, via SF wok shop) does leave something to be desired as far as constant heat. It does give us more time for chatting during the meal and beer drinking.

Michael... my wife swears this happens here in China when women run into these western toilets! :P

as I write this I'm glancing over at Bea's 1 burner propane stove that we used for hot pot. Worked well as long as we used a thin walled metal bowl. SO it might be worth taking with us if we can get the canisters for it.

I had thought about a commercial gas stove when we save up to buy a home as one way out or possibly getting a stove like the ones here in China. Than making a second area for that stove kind of like a bbq grill area.

We will be settling down in Jersey or maybe brooklyn/queens so China town is so close. Shouldn't have much problem with the ingredients and woks etc. I figured with such a high chinese population they will have solved the problem of the low heat output.

Alright Dave G! heheh more fun fun fun to look forward too :( I am already on laundry duty here now, of course my not being able to READ chinese has helped me escape actually using the washing machine, not much chinese reading skill needed in hanging them out and taking them down.. sigh :(

But I like that and am glad to hear your home has become a blend, as I hope ours will. For instance... I can'nt wait to get on the subways again and elbow some 80 year old ladies for a seat, run right up to the front of the bank line... coz, oh! I just want to take some money out..no problem..:)

Mark <<<<< missing the states and Bea <<<<<<< looking forward to the states

• 2 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread, as I found it in a search. She will be here shortly and I am shopping for a new gas stove. I don't like my current electric range and have been think about replacing it anyway. I know she won't like the electric so I have been shopping.

At any rate, I was shopping at Lowe's today. They had a Maytag with a 16,000 BTU high output burner. I had been looking at the ones with a 12,500 burner, but this one caught my eye.

It's the highest I have seen in a 30" stove without going commercial grade. It's a bit more money than the other ones I had been looking at.

I am just curious if the 16K will make a difference over the 12.5K. I suspect it will. She is a great cook and I want here to have the right tools.

I just thought I'd see if there are any thoughts.

(It was an old thread, feel free to move if needed Don)

I used to be an Architect specializing in homes before I changed careers so I'll put my 2 cents in.

16K does make a noticeable difference over 12.5K. Even 14K will make a difference. I haven't actively practiced in 6 years and I'm not to familiar with the Maytag product line of gas ranges. But other Maytag products I know of are well built and sturdy. Kitchen-Aid and Dacor are some companies I know of that make good ranges. For a 30" model, they usually have 4 burners, 1 at 12.5K, 1 at 14K and I think 2 at 7K or 8K (can't remember, lost too many braincells.)

Some important features to consider are:

Sealed gas burners = easier clean up

removable control knobs = easier clean up

Electronic ignition, I think that is standard now.

Cast iron grates if you can get them, the porcelain ones tended to stain as I recall.

Grates that form a continuous surface, so you can move heavy pots without lifting.

Simmer mode on one of the burners for melting butter/chocolate/water on simmer.

For the oven features, Self-cleaning is a real treat.

Convection if you can afford it will cook foods more evenly.

Now there are other companies like Viking and Russell that make residential range models, but they usually cost 2 to 4 times as much. Don't know where you are located at, but there was this place in San Francisco that actually made built in woks, flush with your countertop. Even had a swing faucet above and drain below so you could wash the wok.

One thing to remember when you get a gas range is to make sure you have adequate ventilation.

OK, you probably have more info than you wanted. But if you need more, I'll try to help.

Some important features to consider are:

Sealed gas burners = easier clean up

removable control knobs = easier clean up

Electronic ignition, I think that is standard now.

Grates that form a continuous surface, so you can move heavy pots without lifting.

Simmer mode on one of the burners for melting butter/chocolate/water on simmer.

For the oven features, Self-cleaning is a real treat.

One thing to remember when you get a gas range is to make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Thanks for the info. The features quoted above are requirements and the stove has it.

However, the adequate ventilation may be an issue. There is no outside vent above the current range. It is the typical microwave vent hood.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

However, the adequate ventilation may be an issue. There is no outside vent above the current range.  It is the typical microwave vent hood.

Ventilation is a must. We have a very good exhaust fan, but it's in the ceiling (think old house). Jingwen has tripped the smoke alarm a number of times.

We just put a contract on a larger house. The cooking surfaces are in an island with a downdraft exhaust. I can almost guarantee you it won't be enough. :(

Also, the kitchen has a double oven. My guess is that it will be used for storage. :D

However, the adequate ventilation may be an issue. There is no outside vent above the current range.  It is the typical microwave vent hood.

Ventilation is a must. We have a very good exhaust fan, but it's in the ceiling (think old house). Jingwen has tripped the smoke alarm a number of times.

We just put a contract on a larger house. The cooking surfaces are in an island with a downdraft exhaust. I can almost guarantee you it won't be enough. :D

Also, the kitchen has a double oven. My guess is that it will be used for storage. :P

Stats:

A microwave/exhaust vent combo is fine, as long as it is powerful enough. The ones that recirulate the exhaust air back into the room are not as efficient at removing fumes as ones that exhaust directly to the outside, but they do a decent job. Just consider getting a more powerful one though. You might be able to get some recommendations from the place you buy the stove from, if your current exhaust fan is adequate.

Frank:

Is there anyway of them putting an overhead exhaust above the island? Will it ruin a view or be to obtrusive or cost big bucks to install? There are exhaust hoods that can go over islands now, that are high enough that you won't bang your head and captures most of the fumes/steam/smoke. I only ask because I have had clients that used the downdraft system on gas cooktops. The 2 main problems were that to really exhaust well, they had to turn it up all the way which made it noisy and tended to pull the heat away from the pots. You could actually see the gas flames being drawn towards the exhaust.

As for your double oven, maybe you can teach Jingwen to bake for you. I have this great recipie for a Chocolate/Chocolate Chunk Pound Cake that my Ling likes. Not to sweet, and has lots of chocolate. It must be a women thing, all women seem to love chocolate. :)

Frank:

Is there anyway of them putting an overhead exhaust above the island?  Will it ruin a view or be to obtrusive or cost big bucks to install?  There are exhaust hoods that can go over islands now, that are high enough that you won't bang your head and captures most of the fumes/steam/smoke.  I only ask because I have had clients that used the downdraft system on gas cooktops.  The 2 main problems were that to really exhaust well, they had to turn it up all the way which made it noisy and tended to pull the heat away from the pots.  You could actually see the gas flames being drawn towards the exhaust.

As for your double oven, maybe you can teach Jingwen to bake for you.  I have this great recipie for a Chocolate/Chocolate Chunk Pound Cake that my Ling likes.  Not to sweet, and has lots of chocolate.  It must be a women thing, all women seem to love chocolate. :P

I suspect we'll end up with a hood exhaust over the island, but I'll probably wait until Jingwen starts yelling at the cooktop. :D

As far as the ovens go, it'll be up to me to do the baking. I think Jingwen would prefer to use the ovens to store her pots and pans. :)

After I put my wife and the wok out on the deck to cook on the Coleman camp stove, she has adjusted. We have an electric range and she is using a teflon frying pan instead of the wok. She uses water instead of oil to cut down on the fumes and grease. I do not see any difference in the flavor or quality of my meals.

Need to try the hot pot though.